Fox News posts Onion Article as Truth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Because a news site posted a parody article as real news, the mongoloids who frequent the site went into a hilariously stupid feeding frenzy about how crappy Obama was because of the parody article, and then the site 404ed it out of shame, trying to pretend it didn't exist. It's not important, earth shattering news, it's a reason to laugh at stupid people.

On a related note, I have now received that article forwarded to me as real news by two relatives. It's a sad day, first because that means this IS being taken as real news by people, and secondly because it appears that my relatives aren't the brightest bulbs either.

Don't you mean a blog-site for fans of said news outlet posted an article in their culture section which they linked and attributed to the original source? I really wonder who are the ones truly going ape-shit over this in the end?

Edit According to the OP's link a "vast majority" constitutes 9 posts?

Last edited:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Because a news site posted a parody article as real news, the mongoloids who frequent the site went into a hilariously stupid feeding frenzy about how crappy Obama was because of the parody article, and then the site 404ed it out of shame, trying to pretend it didn't exist. It's not important, earth shattering news, it's a reason to laugh at stupid people.

On a related note, I have now received that article forwarded to me as real news by two relatives. It's a sad day, first because that means this IS being taken as real news by people, and secondly because it appears that my relatives aren't the brightest bulbs either.

So a blog site run by Fox, not a news site, printed the first two paragraphs of a parody and a link to get the rest at The Onion, and this is somehow Big News Today?

People would have to click through to the actual article to read it, right? Hey, The Onion, one of my favorite free papers just got some free publicity! :awe:

That site looks like it has some very heavy rotation in the articles it posts. I doubt they pulled it off in shame, it is the kind of piece that they would likely keep in place for a while, isn't it?

I doubt if many of those posting comments either clicked through or even know of The Onion. I mean, the funniest thing about Onion pieces is that they actually could be real, and too often turn out to be closer to the truth than so-called straight news/editorializing spin.

Other posters are likely the twins of those who foam at the mouth here about Sarah Palin and the Republicans. Look at how many anti-Palin posters don't read anything other than the spin pieces that tell them what to think and say and they, too, go off all the time. I have yet to find one that has read either of Palin's books yet are uber-quick with condemnation and scatological commentary.

The lesson that everyone should take away from this is that the recent election has not mollified those who are adamantly opposed to Obama and the Democrat agenda. And that includes your relatives. The overreach that the Dems pulled for the last two to four years is going to be punished in 2012 as well as 2010, you can count on it.

I have said many times before, if all you do is mock your opposition rather than making the slightest effort at understanding their concerns you will energize them.

Do you think all the Sarah Palin and Republican bashing is doing anything but helping to build her base? Do you think mocking the people who disagree with Obama/Reid/Pelosi wins arguments, wins hearts and minds, wins votes? If it makes you feel good, I can tell you it seems like a crack OD to the rest of us.

This past election showed you the consequences, but the lesson has not been learned yet it seems.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I always like watching you try and contort yourself into making things sound less bad there PJ, there are many articles on there that are from dates earlier than the Onion article that are still up.

Mocking Palin has made her into a national and international joke, along with giving her some of the highest unfavorable ratings of any national figure. This is doubly interesting because usually people out of office or out of elections become more popular, but she continues to become even more widely disliked.

With that in mind, I want to do everything possible to build up Palin's base. If that works well, she could somehow possibly maybe win the Republican nomination for president, which would be incredibly awesome. Not only does it mean that I can continue mocking her and her similarly challenged followers until then (which I definitely do enjoy), but it means that I would get to mock her even more during the election, and then watch her be obliterated, yet again, on the national stage in a nationwide laugher of an election.

So, I really hope you're right. I will continue to do my best to build her base, and I hope you will help me out with this one. Together we can make this dream come true!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Don't you mean a blog-site for fans of said news outlet posted an article in their culture section which they linked and attributed to the original source? I really wonder who are the ones truly going ape-shit over this in the end?

Edit According to the OP's link a "vast majority" constitutes 9 posts?

That was a screenshot, if you were able to read it while it was up there were way way way more than 9 posts.

Whether or not the person originally thought it was news, of those who read it many did. The fact that the site took it down certainly implies that they were afraid of the same thing.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
With that in mind, I want to do everything possible to build up Palin's base. If that works well, she could somehow possibly maybe win the Republican nomination for president, which would be incredibly awesome...

So, I really hope you're right. I will continue to do my best to build her base, and I hope you will help me out with this one. Together we can make this dream come true!

You are a good man when you lay off the weed. :awe:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You are a good man when you lay off the weed. :awe:

How does the saying go? When you do what you love, you never work a single day.

Maybe we should pull a Rush Limbaugh and try to get independents and democrats in open primary states to vote for Palin.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
How does the saying go? When you do what you love, you never work a single day.

So true. I'm semi-retired, still put in 10-12 hours a day, though now I prefer to only do half-days at the office, and I feel like I am on vacation!

Maybe we should pull a Rush Limbaugh and try to get independents and democrats in open primary states to vote for Palin.

I have just the idea for a campaign poster!

obama-palin.jpg

obama-palin-mediacircus.jpg

Last edited:

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
PJs deflection in this thread is excellent.

This is not a blog site at all. Its almost a kin to the Drudge Report. They, not people, link articles from other sources they feel their readers would like and then people can comment on them much like any Fox News article. Please do not try to separate this from Fox News in an attempt to deflect it.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So true. I'm semi-retired, still put in 10-12 hours a day, though now I prefer to only do half-days at the office, and I feel like I am on vacation!

I have just the idea for a campaign poster!

obama-palin-mediacircus.jpg

Agree! A broken link would probably represent Palin pretty well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There are quite a few people that would like to see Sarah in the White House!

inevitability-sarah-republicans-obama-liberals-demotivational-poster-1249310720.jpg

Clearly we should look to Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George W. Bush for advice on picking a president, they all did a bangup job!

I did see Zombie Reagan in there too, perhaps he can help!
http://www.theonion.com/video/zombie-reagan-raised-from-grave-to-lead-gop,14385/

You were right in what you said earlier though, The Onion frequently does show the hidden truth. It is in fact quite likely that most Americans would rather see a reanimated corpse as president instead of Sarah Palin. If nothing else, the things coming out of his mouth seemed at least as intelligent, and he didn't even have to write notes on his hand!

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Please do not try to equate this with Fox News in an attempt to malign both.

So I guess Fox Business, Fox News Radio, Fox News Latino are also not Fox News right?

The URL isn't nations.foxnews.com... Nope STILL not Fox News. You are so right.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
So a blog site run by Fox, not a news site, printed the first two paragraphs of a parody and a link to get the rest at The Onion, and this is somehow Big News Today?

People would have to click through to the actual article to read it, right? Hey, The Onion, one of my favorite free papers just got some free publicity! :awe:

That site looks like it has some very heavy rotation in the articles it posts. I doubt they pulled it off in shame, it is the kind of piece that they would likely keep in place for a while, isn't it?

I doubt if many of those posting comments either clicked through or even know of The Onion. I mean, the funniest thing about Onion pieces is that they actually could be real, and too often turn out to be closer to the truth than so-called straight news/editorializing spin.

Other posters are likely the twins of those who foam at the mouth here about Sarah Palin and the Republicans. Look at how many anti-Palin posters don't read anything other than the spin pieces that tell them what to think and say and they, too, go off all the time. I have yet to find one that has read either of Palin's books yet are uber-quick with condemnation and scatological commentary.

The lesson that everyone should take away from this is that the recent election has not mollified those who are adamantly opposed to Obama and the Democrat agenda. And that includes your relatives. The overreach that the Dems pulled for the last two to four years is going to be punished in 2012 as well as 2010, you can count on it.

I have said many times before, if all you do is mock your opposition rather than making the slightest effort at understanding their concerns you will energize them.

Do you think all the Sarah Palin and Republican bashing is doing anything but helping to build her base? Do you think mocking the people who disagree with Obama/Reid/Pelosi wins arguments, wins hearts and minds, wins votes? If it makes you feel good, I can tell you it seems like a crack OD to the rest of us.

This past election showed you the consequences, but the lesson has not been learned yet it seems.

I had 4 separate people send me links to the article that was not there....If you dont think people took this as news ala' breitbart smear than you clearly do not understand how media works...

Its funny how anything we discuss now you bring up "but liberals mock palin'....

your cliches are getting tired...time to make some new ones..

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
At the bottom of the article, it says "Read the rest of the story at theonion.com" So it was linked, and attributed.

Should be at the start of the article to spare Fox Nation fans from frothing at the mouth after the first paragraph. Ya'tink more then one in a thousand read to the end of a story?

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
All news channels, newspapers, and radio have some sort of bias. Nothing new here.

To all of you, do you know why Fox News was founded?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
All news channels, newspapers, and radio have some sort of bias. Nothing new here.

To all of you, do you know why Fox News was founded?

To make an Austrailian imigrant media mogal wealthy by telling old and low information white people what they want to hear? Is this the daily double?