• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Fox News...not O'Reilly/Hannity/talking head

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,918
18
81
We often hear defenders of Fox News claim that liberal viewers are unable to figure out the difference from a news program vs an opinion show like O'Reilly or Hannity. After all, no one equates every rant Olbermann goes on with the official policy of MSNBC. Which is a fair criticism. But how's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv0ge6ltyLA

Looks ok, until you realize the Biden quote is from September of last year and he was quoting John McCain. If they bothered to show any of the surrounding context it might have painted a slightly different picture. Here's the full quote, and I bolded the part that Fox decided to play:

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that?s why John McCain could say with a straight face as recently as this morning and this is a quote, ?the fundamentals of the economy are strong.? That?s what John said. He says that ?We?ve made great progress economically in the Bush years.?
Yeah, they went there. It would be like playing a video of Bush saying "I am a war criminal" but failing to mention that the full quote was "If you asked Osama bin Laden he'd probably tell you that I am a war criminal."

Your call, is this honest "reporting?" It seems more like something a comedy show would do as a joke.

Update: Retraction issued.
 

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
4,511
140
106
I am assuming your original source is Daily Kos? Or Media Matters?

It does appear the Biden clip was wrong, most likely a staffer did a search on key words and pulled that clip in without checking. Poor reporting. Otherwise, the McCallum piece yesterday was accurate.

I do hope they clarify misquoting Biden. But this happens all the time with all news organizations. Doesn't make it right, but news is not about reporting, today it is about "making" the news.
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,979
0
0
The source is Fox News. ;)

I just walked through the lunch room on the way back to the desk and the TV there had CNN with some title about 'Road To Recovery' on the screen. Why does everything involving news have to be about sensationalism rather than the topic?
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,063
495
126
Originally posted by: Robor
The source is Fox News. ;)

I just walked through the lunch room on the way back to the desk and the TV there had CNN with some title about 'Road To Recovery' on the screen. Why does everything involving news have to be about sensationalism rather than the topic?
Oh is that the road we are on this week? I need to keep upto date on my sensational news topics. Last week it was the road to ruin.
 

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
5,471
2
0
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,449
0
0
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
Only Obama didn't say that and trying to compare the two is dishonest in the extreme.
 

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
35,132
1
81
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't even begin to comment on this...did you read even the TITLE of the post? Or just see "Fox News" and go into a blind posting rage? Absolutely ridiculous...
 

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
57,530
3
0
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
John McCain said that we should concentrate on the aspect of the economy that are fundamentally sound? I don't recall him saying that.
 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,449
0
0
Originally posted by: dphantom
I am assuming your original source is Daily Kos? Or Media Matters?

It does appear the Biden clip was wrong, most likely a staffer did a search on key words and pulled that clip in without checking. Poor reporting. Otherwise, the McCallum piece yesterday was accurate.

I do hope they clarify misquoting Biden. But this happens all the time with all news organizations. Doesn't make it right, but news is not about reporting, today it is about "making" the news.
Please, if CNN doctored a quote like this there'd be a Bold, Red, headline on Drudge about the liberal MSM, followed by the parade of idiots making threads about it in here.

It doesn't happen "all the time" and this moral equivalency routine is a joke.
 

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
16,979
0
0
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
From the OP...

We often hear defenders of Fox News claim that liberal viewers are unable to figure out the difference from a news program vs an opinion show like O'Reilly or Hannity. After all, no one equates every rant Olbermann goes on with the official policy of MSNBC. Which is a fair criticism.
 

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
6,546
295
126
My 14 year old has to do a debate and could'nt find a subject. I suggested he read the paprer or watch the news. Being the typical 14 year old he grabbed the remote and sat down.
I showed him all the cable news channels and I could see from the dining roon that every 10 minutes or so he was changing channels. After a while I noticed the channels flipping back and forth so I went to ask him what he was doing.

Me " Can't find anything?"
My son " I can't figure out if these guys are trying to be funny or not. "

I got a kick out of that.
 

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
30,271
3,804
126
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...
Might help if they had more news hours and fewer right wing commentator hours.
 

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
7,320
1,081
126
Good news travels fast.
http://www.google.com/search?h...rch&aq=f&oq=biden+fox+


Here's how they responded.

March 17, 2009
Categories: Fox News

Fox apologizes for using Biden clip UPDATE

Both ThinkProgress and Huffington Post pointed out that Fox aired a clip of Joe Biden commenting on the fundamentals of the economy, supposedly from this past weekend.

Actually, the Biden quote was from a stump speech last year criticizing McCain for talking up the strength of the fundamentals.

I've now heard that Fox will address this at 1:10 p.m. during "Live Desk." Will update later.

UPDATE: According to a Fox spokesperson, here's part of the response: "We inadvertently used a piece of video of Vice President Biden saying the "fundamentals of the economy are strong". This video was from the campaign trail, when the Vice President was a candidate, and was actually quoting Senator John McCain."

UPDATE 2: Fox, right around 1:10, apologized for using the Biden clip.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/...iden_edit_mistake.html


 

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
13,918
18
81
Originally posted by: Lanyap
Good news travels fast.
http://www.google.com/search?h...rch&aq=f&oq=biden+fox+


Here's how they responded.

March 17, 2009
Categories: Fox News

Fox apologizes for using Biden clip UPDATE

Both ThinkProgress and Huffington Post pointed out that Fox aired a clip of Joe Biden commenting on the fundamentals of the economy, supposedly from this past weekend.

Actually, the Biden quote was from a stump speech last year criticizing McCain for talking up the strength of the fundamentals.

I've now heard that Fox will address this at 1:10 p.m. during "Live Desk." Will update later.

UPDATE: According to a Fox spokesperson, here's part of the response: "We inadvertently used a piece of video of Vice President Biden saying the "fundamentals of the economy are strong". This video was from the campaign trail, when the Vice President was a candidate, and was actually quoting Senator John McCain."

UPDATE 2: Fox, right around 1:10, apologized for using the Biden clip.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/...iden_edit_mistake.html
Good job then, glad they did the right thing.

Originally posted by: OrByte
"inadvertently" of course.
Well since we have no evidence to the contrary and they did issue a retraction so I'd chalk it up to shoddy clipsmanship at this point.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
2
0
Fox sucks. I used to hate it more than the rest, but after watching olberman on msnbc, nothing more than a left wing whore's whore if there ever was one, really no more palatable than the worst on Fox (that would be Hannity, btw), it's no better, either.
 

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
7,449
0
0
I can only stomach Olbermann in short bursts now, I used to like him and he occasionally will do something worth watching.

But his O'Reilly obsession and unfair coverage of certain issues has really made me sour on him, especially since the election.

 

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
11,183
610
126
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Neither O'Reilly or Hannity are presented as "News", they are both presented as commentators. Shepard Smith does News, some of the females do "News Breaks" ...

By your standard, would Keith "I can't get my head out of this subway door" Olberman be a news guy?

And I think the clip you saw was referencing how when JSM said it, it was goofy, when BHO says it (yesterday, the day before) it's words from the Gods.
What we have here is a failure to read.
 

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
57,530
3
0
Originally posted by: ayabe
I can only stomach Olbermann in short bursts now, I used to like him and he occasionally will do something worth watching.

But his O'Reilly obsession and unfair coverage of certain issues has really made me sour on him, especially since the election.
Yeah he became what he railed against.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
2
0
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: ayabe
I can only stomach Olbermann in short bursts now, I used to like him and he occasionally will do something worth watching.

But his O'Reilly obsession and unfair coverage of certain issues has really made me sour on him, especially since the election.
Yeah he became what he railed against.
The SNL skit of him hammered home the point with crystal clarity, I think.

 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,907
173
106
Good find jonks (if you found it).

But that's Fox daytime stuff. I think their daytime stuff is horrible, particularly the early morning show.

They know nothing and make eggregious errors constantly.

It's hard to find good daytime news, I usually settle on MSNBC or CNN (but never Fox)

Fern
 

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
2,031
74
86
Originally posted by: ayabe
I can only stomach Olbermann in short bursts now, I used to like him and he occasionally will do something worth watching.

But his O'Reilly obsession and unfair coverage of certain issues has really made me sour on him, especially since the election.
I cant stand Olberman's faux outrage... He sounds like such a whiney ninny boy when he goes on a rant... Even if he is right. HE is defintely the equal POS that Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly are.
 

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Administrator
Oct 9, 1999
35,052
29
86
Originally posted by: retrospooty

I cant stand Olberman's faux outrage...
What makes you think his outrage is "faux?" He's pissed at the same Bushwhacko treason, murder, torture, war crimes, war profiteering and general incompetence as the those of us who were paying attention for the last eight years, and he's pissed at both Faux Noise "commentators" and their alleged "news," all of whom conspired with the Bushwhackos to pimp the administration's continuing shit flood of lies.
 

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
2,031
74
86
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: retrospooty

I cant stand Olberman's faux outrage...
What makes you think his outrage is "faux?" He's pissed at the same Bushwhacko treason, murder, torture, war crimes, war profiteering and general incompetence as the those of us who were paying attention for the last eight years, and he's pissed at both Faux Noise "commentators" and their alleged "news," all of whom conspired with the Bushwhackos to pimp the administration's continuing shit flood of lies.
Your right he is pissed and has a right to be... What I mean by faux, is the level of outrage. He just seems... fake. Like he is laying it on extra thick, to try and make it sound worse than it is. The WAY he EMphasises CERtain SYLabiles is GUTwrenching
 

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
57,530
3
0
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: retrospooty

I cant stand Olberman's faux outrage...
What makes you think his outrage is "faux?" He's pissed at the same Bushwhacko treason, murder, torture, war crimes, war profiteering and general incompetence as the those of us who were paying attention for the last eight years, and he's pissed at both Faux Noise "commentators" and their alleged "news," all of whom conspired with the Bushwhackos to pimp the administration's continuing shit flood of lies.
Your right he is pissed and has a right to be... What I mean by faux, is the level of outrage. He just seems... fake. Like he is laying it on extra thick, to try and make it sound worse than it is. The WAY he EMphasises CERtain SYLabiles is GUTwrenching
Lol, He's the Harvey of the Airwaves:laugh:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY