fox news host makes stunning and passionate defense of same-sex marriage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Source Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGq0SJUbiU

Fox host Julie Banderas left no doubt how she feels about same-sex marriage, citing her gay sister and gay friends whose wedding she looks forward to.

Responding to a comment from a viewer who felt the matter should be put to a vote by the public, Banderas went off as she pointed at her own wedding ring.

“Let me just say this. I’m a married woman, I have a ring on my finger,” she began. “I never asked anyone to vote whether or not I had the right to do this.”

“I have a gay sister. She was the maid of honor at my wedding. I would love to be able to be at her wedding someday, and now I can,” she continued “And there are so many others, one of my best friends here at Fox is a gay producer, he walked my mother down the aisle at my wedding and now I get to be at his.”

“Who has the right to tell someone who loves another person — I don’t care about their gender or their sex or the color of their skin — that they the right to spend the rest of their life with somebody they love.”

Always thought she was one who didn't drink the kool-aid and questioned stuff as a journalist should. I didn't even know she still worked for FOX since I haven't seen her since 2006 or so.. now I wonder if her days at FOX are numbered but props to you Julie and you'll have zero trouble finding a new good job if you need to. Way to go in understanding how the SCOTUS decision affects you and us and not just in the heavily compartmentalized right wing agenda kind of way.

I wonder if this person has ever pondered why she can't marry her sister, if love is the sole prerequisite for marriage.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Pretty pathetic at this point.

Don't remember what we have said in the past.

I'd say long term memory is one of the biggest things fucking up the US government these days.

There are several other things of course.

Maybe Republicans can't remember what they never knew. The neurological theory is that without an external enemy, end of the clod war, they turn on other members of their own country. People who are terrified of being hated find ways to be hated. Defective wiring caused by self hate. There are people with such bad self images that even looking at them can cause them to attack you. Throw a Christian persecution complex in there and you're off to the races.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Everyone just calm down.
We're going to hear a lot of anti SS marriage and anti gay crap probably for as long as we've heard racist crap ever since LBJ passed civil rights.
Its been want, 51 years, and people still can't accept that Obama is a true American born citizen.
And 150 years later, the civil war is being fought all over again due to the Confederate flag.

But I'll tell you what...
The very first SS marriage you are forced to attend by gun point, against your will, gun to the head, with your kids tied up suspended over a tank of live man eating sharks, when that happens do come back here and post your complaint.

And faking your own SS marriage, and suspending your own kids over a tank of man eating sharks just for that attention, doesn't count.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Lunacy is not spelled l i e.

So, I'll ask as well. "Care to offer any proof of her being a lunatic?"
Well, when she was in the WHite House she spoke to a dead woman and said the dead woman spoke back, so . . .

This post needs more toasters.
lol +1

Kudos to Banderas.

Incidentally, I got to personally congratulate a gay couple this weekend. This was not something they ever expected to see in Tennessee in their lifetimes, but they are understandably happy.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Everyone just calm down.
We're going to hear a lot of anti SS marriage and anti gay crap probably for as long as we've heard racist crap ever since LBJ passed civil rights.
Its been want, 51 years, and people still can't accept that Obama is a true American born citizen.
And 150 years later, the civil war is being fought all over again due to the Confederate flag.

But I'll tell you what...
The very first SS marriage you are forced to attend by gun point, against your will, gun to the head, with your kids tied up suspended over a tank of live man eating sharks, when that happens do come back here and post your complaint.

And faking your own SS marriage, and suspending your own kids over a tank of man eating sharks just for that attention, doesn't count.

:thumbsup: Well put.

The butthurt in this thread is going strong though. I'm just here for the amusement factor.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Elaborate.

Love is not a prerequisite for marriage, marriage is a prerequisite for love. It is the nature of love to seek immortality in bonds of holy matrimony. It is a statement that love is driven to make in the world. Only bigotry could cause you not to see that. And love is something that one person feels for another irrespective of gender. it is the mystery of love. And when you are full of it you want everybody else to feel it too. Love is kind, gentle, and open. Love is Catholic and liberal.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Victorian Gray said:
So, I'll ask as well. "Care to offer any proof of her being a lunatic?"
Well, when she was in the WHite House she spoke to a dead woman and said the dead woman spoke back, so . . .
Millions of Christians claim that they speak to a dead guy, and that he speaks back to them . . . .

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why would anyone be shocked at this? Lots of conservatives have no problem with this. Hell my former parish priest had a regular sermon in which he chastised us for our treatment of gay people. He and this anchor had one thing in common, a gay sibling. I am a conservative that has no problem with gay marriage. I don't have any gay siblings but I do have a gay child and he is a good a person as you would ever meet. Don't anyone dare tell me he isn't entitled to marry the person of his choice if he wishes.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
No. The state says that's illegal and any challenge to the constitutionality that law is subject to a different level of scrutiny. A challenge must prove that polygamy does not pose some rational threat to society and plenty of past experience with the phenomenon says it does. For just such reasons Muslim law allows polygamy because a ban on it was more detrimental to that society at that time in history than the preferred state of monogamy.

Link? I am inclined to believe the opposition to polygamy is based on the same "ick" factor as with homosexual marriage, rather than anything with rational basis/compelling interest of the state.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm furious... FURIOUS...that the OP bothered to change the font to something even worse.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well of course she is!

Everyone outside of the US conservative bubble rooted in reality will disagree with you, but that's the scary thing about being outside of the bubble. So, just stay inside chanting your conjuring words, and everything will be just fine.

There you go assuming again, you and a few kooks on the left are the only ones who refuse to see what a crazy nut job she is.

Hillary is a proven liar and lunatic. Anyone who votes for her has a screw loose.

You're the one so dense you're attacking someone on your own side for starters.

We could lock you two in a room with a couple baseball bats and put it on pay per view for fun, as most either of you say makes little to no sense, even when trying to be on the same team.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
“Who has the right to tell someone who loves another person — I don’t care about their gender or their sex or the color of their skin — that they the right to spend the rest of their life with somebody they love.”

Nobody stopped them from spending the rest of their lives with whoever. Many straight couples do that for a life time, just live together and not get married. It appears that it is more about getting insurance and other benefits. Dozens of articles with the partner complaining about not getting benefits.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Nobody stopped them from spending the rest of their lives with whoever. Many straight couples do that for a life time, just live together and not get married. It appears that it is more about getting insurance and other benefits. Dozens of articles with the partner complaining about not getting benefits.
"Getting insurance and other benefits"

Yes.

Marriage.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Love isn't a prerequisite for marriage.
well it is at least in several countries.

Examples:
  • Most countries refuse to recognize a marriage if they think it's just a trick to get a residence permit and there's no love relationship
  • During divorces in Italy, stuff such as refusing to have sex without a reason or having sex with third persons count as just reasons for divorce

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
well it is at least in several countries.

Examples:
[*]Most countries refuse to recognize a marriage if they think it's just a trick to get a residence permit and there's no love relationship
That doesn't make it a pre-requisite for marriage. It just means that suspect immigration marriages are suspect. It's the same in the US.

[*]During divorces in Italy, stuff such as refusing to have sex without a reason or having sex with third persons count as just reasons for divorce
Reasons for getting a divorce doesn't have anything to do with love being a prerequisite for marriage.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
"Getting insurance and other benefits"

Yes.

Marriage.

Yes those are advantages of marriage. That is not what she said though, she said that people had been telling gays that they couldn't spend the rest of their lives together before this. Which is not true at all. Any race, color, or gender was free to live with whoever before this. It is not about spending the rest of their life with someone, but benefits. Not that I am saying it's wrong to want them, but she's not being honest about it all.

Nov 25, 2013
Yes those are advantages of marriage. That is not what she said though, she said that people had been telling gays that they couldn't spend the rest of their lives together before this. Which is not true at all. Any race, color, or gender was free to live with whoever before this. It is not about spending the rest of their life with someone, but benefits. Not that I am saying it's wrong to want them, but she's not being honest about it all.

Who cares. It's done. Americans of the same sex can legally marry one another. Deal with it.