Fox News and right wing snowflake media triggered by the @USWNST. I have a question

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Both men's & women's soccer are huge in schools all across America. Where do you think the term "Soccer Mom" came from, anyway?

It's bigger for women atm because they're winners.

Until they play boys?

The term soccer mom had nothing to do with popularity. It had to do with the traditional female role of running kids to after school activities.

Take a knee Kaep.....

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And here you are on these forums, speaking to all of us about your brain worms. I guess it makes sense, then, keeping to our own individual areas of expertise...as long as we abide by what you determine we are allowed to talk about publicly.
Isn’t that the point of a forum? When I was still on active duty, I could come here to expresss an opinion, yet could face discipline for publicly doing so in say a media interview.

That’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Both men's & women's soccer are huge in schools all across America. Where do you think the term "Soccer Mom" came from, anyway?

It's bigger for women atm because they're winners.
Soccer mom is a derogatory term applied to privileged suburban women that shuttle their kids to sports practices so that those kids can grow up to become professional athletes and solve first world problems.

The American women’s soccer team is dominant because they live in a nation that invests in and provides opportunities for women to train and compete, far ahead of other nations that have dominant men’s programs but do not provide the same opportunities to women.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Soccer mom is a derogatory term applied to privileged suburban women that shuttle their kids to sports practices so that those kids can grow up to become professional athletes and solve first world problems.

The American women’s soccer team is dominant because they live in a nation that invests in and provides opportunities for women to train and compete, far ahead of other nations that have dominant men’s programs but do not provide the same opportunities to women.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_mom?wprov=sfla1

"Soccer mom" is used to describe moms who spend much of their time shuttling their children (and other people's children at times along with their own) around to athletic events, typically driving a minivan (SUV also now).

I've used the term as far back as the 90s when I played soccer and the season meant my mom was driving all over the place for us.

I've applied to term toany mom's, even my wife now, as sports hasn't changed that much in this regard. Incidentally, baseball proved to be much more driving this year.

Not once, to my recollection, have I applied it negatively, or in the way you describe. Interesting how you define it though.

Edit: I found this urban dictionary description that seems to fit your view of soccer mom's better

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Soccer mom

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe they don’t think it’s worth compromising their morals for money?

Could be, and maybe conservatives going with "fuck your feels" has unintended consequences. What was that saying that was posted earlier? Oh yeah, beware of unintended consequences....lol....like when the women's soccer team says fuck your feels to dear leader and projectionist snowflakes melt.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_mom?wprov=sfla1

"Soccer mom" is used to describe moms who spend much of their time shuttling their children (and other people's children at times along with their own) around to athletic events, typically driving a minivan (SUV also now).

I've used the term as far back as the 90s when I played soccer and the season meant my mom was driving all over the place for us.

I've applied to term toany mom's, even my wife now, as sports hasn't changed that much in this regard. Incidentally, baseball proved to be much more driving this year.

Not once, to my recollection, have I applied it negatively, or in the way you describe. Interesting how you define it though.

Edit: I found this urban dictionary description that seems to fit your view of soccer mom's better

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Soccer mom
Can we agree that the official beverage of soccer moms is pumpkin spice latte and their uniform includes at least one Kate Spade item?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I seriously doubt that a large portion of ardent Trump supporters are also huge women's soccer fans...just a hunch.
Americans in general are not huge soccer fans. Given all the press coverage and political undertones, I was surprised to see that viewership of the final game declined from four years ago. USAvJapan drew more viewers than USAvNetherlands.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Americans in general are not huge soccer fans. Given all the press coverage and political undertones, I was surprised to see that viewership of the final game declined from four years ago. USAvJapan drew more viewers than USAvNetherlands.

One could speculate quite a few scenarios causing that.