Fox News anchors publicly upset over Fox and Friends Obama bashing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: JS80

I'm still not following your point or question. My point was the CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN are way more biased to the left and you will never see an anchor call out another anchor for cherrypicking a political quote. Hannity is the only person at Foxnews that makes them remotely "right wing" and he's not even part of the news he is commentary. Their news staff is extremely fair and balanced in their NEWS reporting. Foxnews at least shows both sides of any issue (as exemplified in this incident) while the mainstream media will do what it can to protect their political interests.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Bill O'Reilly's not right wing at all. Neither was John Gibson... he's right down the center. Brit Hume's certainly not a hard right wing pundit in his spare time, and to call Oliver North right wing would be just downright wacky. I mean sure about half of their programming is extreme right wing opinion shows, but hey they had a guy who is normally a hard right wing attack dog say that after two hours of attacking Obama they should switch to something else! The bravery! The balance!

That all being said, I'm not surprised in the slightest that you think this way. Unfortunately objective, scientific research has come to a different conclusion. Sorry. We actually had a wonderful thread on that awhile back. I would encourage you to read it.

In other news, AT KKK members all say the mainstream media is pro-minority. (Referring to our right-wingers saying the mainstream media is liberal).

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: JD50

Why not? According to Obama "typical white people" are racist.

In the 1930s they were and that's what he was talking about.

Now you are just getting ridiculous...

"the point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn?t. But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn?t know, there is a reaction that has been bred into our experiences that don?t go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way."

Now please explain to me how any of that is referring to the past tense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

"the point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn?t. But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn?t know, there is a reaction that has been bred into our experiences that don?t go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way."

I don't get why this comment offends you so much. It's true. It has been scientifically proven. It might be an unpleasant truth, but it's truth.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004

Can you show me where Obama said that typical white people are racist? Or are you looking too much into what he said? Stop being so sensitive.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I'm amazed at how Obama can say that his grandmother is not a racist but is a typical white person, and conservatives spin it as Obama calling the typical white person racist. He probably should have said "normal white person"

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Has anyone been to their website. Racism is rife over there.

that's f'n ridiculous.

Did you read the obama-richardson thread?

no, why?

Lots of ugly words in the responses below the story.

Don't worry about it, it's just typical white people doing what typical white people do.

Those are not typical white people.

Statistically speaking, they are. At least, typical white US citizens.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How about asking some real questions to the Democratic Presidential candidates. No follow up questions and no substantive analysis whatsoever. All you here is Candidate of change, Blah, Blah, Blah . . . I dont think changing to communism is such a good idea. I have not seen anything new from Democrats indicating any kind of a good change. "How you gonna make friends shoeing pictures of Chairman Mao?"

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird
How about asking some real questions to the Democratic Presidential candidates. No follow up questions and no substantive analysis whatsoever. All you here is Candidate of change, Blah, Blah, Blah . . . I dont think changing to communism is such a good idea. I have not seen anything new from Democrats indicating any kind of a good change. "How you gonna make friends shoeing pictures of Chairman Mao?"

The democrats have been detailed in their message but nobody wants to hear such boring stuff. Instead, they prefer to focus on the color of the candidate's skin or what their husband was doing.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Enough with the communism BS already. UHC is not communism any more than a state military, state highway system, etc. Or are all our NATO allies communists?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I'm amazed at how Obama can say that his grandmother is not a racist but is a typical white person, and conservatives spin it as Obama calling the typical white person racist. He probably should have said "normal white person"

The reaction comes from decades of PC sensitivity training whenever some white person not trained in PC speech says anything that includes the phrase "The typical black person". It happens on this board all the time regardless of whether what follows the phrase is some stereotype, which in reality is what Obama parroted regarding his grandmother, or something silly or profound. People will jump all over the concept of "The typical black person" and accuse the speaker or poster of being a racist. Even though I am not an Obama supporter if his running for President finally results in us as a society breaking down these double standards of the way we treat statements uttered by blacks and whites then his candidacy will have had a very positive effect win or lose.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Linflas

The reaction comes from decades of PC sensitivity training whenever some white person not trained in PC speech says anything that includes the phrase "The typical black person". It happens on this board all the time regardless of whether what follows the phrase is some stereotype, which in reality is what Obama parroted regarding his grandmother, or something silly or profound. People will jump all over the concept of "The typical black person" and accuse the speaker or poster of being a racist. Even though I am not an Obama supporter if his running for President finally results in us as a society breaking down these double standards of the way we treat statements uttered by blacks and whites then his candidacy will have had a very positive effect win or lose.

I agree. It won't be easy. You can even see it on the comedy circuit. People make fun of McCane (like me) and Clinton but they don't want to touch Obama. I say, let him have it. Make fun of him. Blacks and whites really need to start seeing each other as individuals rather than groups.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Linflas

I agree. It won't be easy. You can even see it on the comedy circuit. People make fun of McCane (like me) and Clinton but they don't want to touch Obama. I say, let him have it. Make fun of him. Blacks and whites really need to start seeing each other as individuals rather than groups.

I've seen plenty of making fun of Obama. Letterman has a segment where he counts how many times Obama says "uhh".

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
The mainstream media is way left wing while Foxnews is right of center. That is what makes them more fair and balanced.

I disagree with this. Fox News is slanted further than most networks, but on other hand, they are competing with a media establishment that almost universally leans left. They saw that market segment of people who were fed up with that, and went after it with great success. I do think the left having a damn aneurism at the mere mention of Fox News is stupid though. I guess when their point of view has been espoused by the big media so long, they dont like to see that challenged. I personally think all media has lost their way, and am not close minded enough to single out only those networks that dont parrot my political views.

Nov 30, 2006
I don't know which is worse...Fox News hypersensitivity to Obama's remark or the Left's hypersensitivity to Fox News. Tough call.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005

Don't worry Rush Limbaugh is the champion of apartheid

LIMBAUGH: There are two reasons. What color is the skin of the people in Darfur?
CALLER: Uh, yeah.

LIMBAUGH: It's black. And who do the Democrats really need to keep voting for them? If they lose a significant percentage of this voting bloc, they're in trouble.

CALLER: Yes. Yes. The black population.

LIMBAUGH: Right. So you go into Darfur and you go into South Africa, you get rid of the white government there. You put sanctions on them. You stand behind Nelson Mandela -- who was bankrolled by communists for a time, had the support of certain communist leaders. You go to Ethiopia. You do the same thing.

Right, so opposing apartheid was a communist plot and racism against whites to get blacks to vote for Democrats.

Now Limbaugh is saying that Obama has disowned his white half. And this is who high ranking Republicans (such as the Vice President who has been on the show) depend on.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
Now only if we can get a hint of integrity on cbs news, abc news, cnn, etc.

Are you giving credit to Fox News when an anchor is going against Fox News script?

i'm not understanding your question

Maybe I'm not reading your statement correctly, then.

I assumed you were stating that Fox News had some form of integrity because of the walk-off by the anchor, and you were attributing this integrity to the whole news network when in fact, the anchor himself went against Fox News script and rhetoric.

I'm still not following your point or question. My point was the CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN are way more biased to the left and you will never see an anchor call out another anchor for cherrypicking a political quote. Hannity is the only person at Foxnews that makes them remotely "right wing" and he's not even part of the news he is commentary. Their news staff is extremely fair and balanced in their NEWS reporting. Foxnews at least shows both sides of any issue (as exemplified in this incident) while the mainstream media will do what it can to protect their political interests.

Guess we know where your political spectrum meter is zero'd at Hannity "remotely" right wing lol. So is Karl Rove and Tony Snow as well?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Look, on this board and a thousand others there are debates over exactly how biased FOX is, but none really on how left the other networks are. I think that pretty much sums it all up. On a 1 to 10 scale with 1 being a commie and 10 being Hitler, most networks are 4, and Fox is 7, further right than the rest are left, but since there's more of the left stations I don't see why this is such a big deal. You don't like Fox, don't watch it. Except for the funny excerpts that make the daily show and colbert.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Look, on this board and a thousand others there are debates over exactly how biased FOX is, but none really on how left the other networks are. I think that pretty much sums it all up. On a 1 to 10 scale with 1 being a commie and 10 being Hitler, most networks are 4, and Fox is 7, further right than the rest are left, but since there's more of the left stations I don't see why this is such a big deal. You don't like Fox, don't watch it. Except for the funny excerpts that make the daily show and colbert.

Well again, objective research has shown that not to be true. Lots of objective research. Popular wisdom always talks about the 'liberal media', but somehow media analysts and political scientists just can't seem to find it unless they're right wing think tank people at UCLA.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Well again, objective research has shown that not to be true. Lots of objective research. Popular wisdom always talks about the 'liberal media', but somehow media analysts and political scientists just can't seem to find it unless they're right wing think tank people at UCLA.

What sort of research on whether news stations are liberal or conservative can be considered 'objective'? What adjectives they use? Whether the commentator smirks or not? Public perception? The political affiliation of the majority of journalists?

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

No, I think that most networks are a 4.9 on your scale, and Fox is a 9.0.

Does anyone remember all of the networks ripping the Bush tax cuts? That they would send us into huge deficit spending? I don't remember that either.

Do you remember all of the networks warning against a rush to war in Iraq? I don't either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What sort of research on whether news stations are liberal or conservative can be considered 'objective'? What adjectives they use? Whether the commentator smirks or not? Public perception? The political affiliation of the majority of journalists?

Scientific research. If you look back earlier in this thread I linked two studies, one a meta analysis and one a more traditional study on labeling of candidates. In the conclusion linked they judged bias by 'gatekeeping', relative amounts of coverage, and statement bias (how often the stories were positive or negative).