Fox and Friends airs 4-minute anti-Obama video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
It's balancing aginst the remaining media's liberal newscasts.

If we had a republican president right now, we would constantly see interviews of people complaining about not having enough food because of the high gas prices, and hourly interviews of the hopelessly unemployed americans.

But bottom line, if you don't like it don't watch. I don't think FoxNews is changing anyone's minds, they're just preaching to the quire. If you're of the liberal mindset you aren't watching foxnews anyways.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
And are they... attributable to Obama directly?
Who the hell knows, but he's is the prez and therefore the majority of the people and the media will blame him. Me, I blame the people for most of the shit in the US.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Yeah, I saw it. It did look like a campaign ad.

But what's new?

Watch Sean Hannity and it's 60 minutes of all Obama and why you shouldn't vote for him. Then watch Chris Matthews, it's 60 minutes about Romney and why you shouldn't vote for him.

There ARE real news shows out there. But Fox and Friends isn't one. Neither are Matthews or Hannity.

Fern

And here's Fern with the false equivalence. Give me a break. Fox doesn't have any real shows period.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Fox Execs disavow ads:

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/30/fox_ads_phony_footage/

Fox News’ Executive Vice President of Programming, Bill Shine, tells Yahoo News, “The package that aired on ‘Fox & Friends’ was created by an associate producer and was not authorized at the senior executive level of the network.”

I bet what happened was that the fox execs responsible were basically on cruise control, basically rubber stamping any anti-obama segment without giving much thought to it. Then it became obvious to everyone that even by Fox News' own shitty standards, they stepped over the line and now they're trying to pin this on some low level lackey.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Didn't Roger Ailes propose a precursor to Fox News to Nixon only calling it G.O.P. TV at the time?

Anyway it's sad that people watch Fox News as their only source of national/world news. In general it is sad if someone doesn't try to get their news from more than one source.

I do watch MSNBC... however unlike many reres who watch Fox I don't depend on MSNBC I don't rely on it as my only source of national/world news, it's not even my major sources of news.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The Guardian (they broke the News Corp hackergate scandal wide open, and have been excellent reporting on the Iraq war) and other international news sources are much better than our shitty domestic news sources.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It was a tacky video but facts are facts. And the stats are accurate.

Pretty easy to take stats flash them on a screen and imply Obama is at fault without discussing the facts behind stats, which makes this nothing but a propaganda video.

The only think you can stick to Obama is the promise to cut the deficit in half by end of first term.

The others...

unemployment rate - already bleeding when he came into office, almost 800K jobs lost/month

Growing government is a lie. Govt has gotten smaller.

Food stamps - again Obama took over a deep recession

Gas prices - Not Obama could have done to affect gas prices. US production is up while demand is down

Debt - Obama took the higest recorded deficit (2009). Yest the debt is going up but the deficit has gotten smaller each year under Obama.

BTW - If this was supposed to be a fair retrosceptive of Obamas first term why no mention of sucess in getting terrorists?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Do you mean that it feels truthy?

Can you provide evidence that the stated 'facts' were incorrect? Serious question.

And I've seen plenty of cases on other networks where they spend several minutes on a Dem and then show maybe 10-30 seconds on 'stock footage' on the Rep. All mainstream media is biased.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
And here's Fern with the false equivalence. Give me a break. Fox doesn't have any real shows period.

Fox has 2 news shows. Shep Smith and Bret Baier (sp?) are both news shows. The Baier program does have about about 15 - 20 minutes of a round table discussion with editorial content.

Fern

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Do you guys actually read the crap you post? No counter facts were presented, only excuses for the accurate facts.

That said, Fox and Friends is pretty awful. I've noticed it's a lot more political these days. I haven't watched the video, but it certainly sounds like a campaign advert. All the morning shows are chattertainment, but Robin Meade is a lot better, more balanced, more real news. Shame that CNN is behind even MSNBC.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Poor Shep Smith. That guy is aging like he is a president.
He's a big liberal surrounded by staunch conservatives at election time, just him, Gretta and Garaldo. Imagine you were under contract to the Sean Hannity Show . . .

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
He's considered a big liberal?
He's not a foaming lunatic, but he's pretty solidly left. He'd fit in at ABC/CBS/CNN/NBC - probably not at MCNBC, he could be the token conservative there. Imagine, say, Woolfe, surrounded by Spideys. Or, well, me. :D

That actually makes him a pretty valuable commodity. At least on his show, he keeps the conservatives from going over the top. He probably has the best news show on the air as a result. (Unfortunately I almost never get to see him or Brett; when I get home it's O'Reilly or Hannity, neither of which is news.)

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Interesting. The admittedly few times I've watched the whole hour with him he basically struck me as an entertaining guy and alternately a no-bullshit guy.

But after a quick poke around the interwebs it seems either he changed, or his audience did after Katrina. Interesting to me that there's an event tied to this perception change.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Interesting. The admittedly few times I've watched the whole hour with him he basically struck me as an entertaining guy and alternately a no-bullshit guy.

But after a quick poke around the interwebs it seems either he changed, or his audience did after Katrina. Interesting to me that there's an event tied to this perception change.
He IS an entertaining, no-bullshit guy. Lots of liberals are. Being liberal doesn't have to make one a foaming idiot. YOU are liberal; I don't consider you bad. We all have our biases and beliefs, and classical liberalism is a beautiful belief system.

Quick lesson in 'possumspeak: Liberal = good. Foaming progressive = bad. When I say Smith is a liberal, it's in no way a derogatory statement.

Katrina brought out his liberalism. How could it not? It was a situation that cries out for government action, albeit one also largely exacerbated by government failure. Same with Gingrich; it's no accident that he attacked the anti-Fox News Gingrich when he kissed and made up with the nominee and not the anti-Fox News Clinton when she did the same. As an excellent reporter and anchor, there should not be many times when his politics show, and from what I've seen, there aren't. But a large part of the Fox News audience are doctrinaire conservatives, especially socially, so of course there was grumbling and hurt feelings. It's a tribute to Shep that so many highly conservative people still rely on him for news even though they know he isn't a movement conservative.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
That show with those three is the most dastardly on TV. They are really awful people to watch. I cannot stomach for more than a few min at a time. Just spineless little weasels with no shame.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I see it in academia every day… they have never been in the “real world” and have no clue on how things really work…. Dumbest Managers you could ever see and it runs right to the top!