Found some pics of the US ship that got blown a hole in it in Asia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The carrier ship has tanks that they let water in. It then sinks low in the water. The ship to be carried is then moved into position over the deck and braced. The carrier ship then blows the water out of the tanks and rises up underneath the other ship.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pretender

Not really, because it can't be fully submerged. You see, the ends of it (where the actual controls and sailors are) are really high so that the "loading" part of the ship (where the Cole rests) can be lowered.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's evident the perp's knew approximatley how much energy was needed to penetrate the armored hull and do some dammage.

I'll bet they didn't know exactly how much C4 to use to do this kind of damage, so they used as much as they could without making the boat unsea-worthy.

I'll bet they were surprised as hell at how much damage they could do, and how easy it was to do it.

We henceforth better damn well make sure that our ship's sentries have live ammunition at all times and the ability to use it according to a fire-first-and-later-ask-for-permission protocal. The lives of US servicemen are at stake, as is the strategic & tactical value of our finite naval assets.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I wonder...we have seen pics of gulf war and missiles coming in on Iraq and many of us do think this is "cool".

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I agree. It definately was NOT in asia. And the hole was definately NOT cool, especially with a big smiley face.

I was not born in this country, but I damn well love this country. :| I don't find it "cool" to talk about a tragedy. Please change your wording.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Come on folks, don't get your panties in a wad. You're reading much too much into Czar's posting of the pictures. Get a grip. Some of you guys must be Palm Beach County Dem's, eh?

ArMs

Oct 22, 1999
Here's an idea, how about everybody stops b*tching about what e said, the pics are cool, and if you take the time to think about it, you know it's true. He said nothing about the incident being cool or what happened being cool. But it is interesting when you see a destroyer riding piggy back on another ship. Just leave the guy alone.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Thank you for removing the comments about the hole in the ship. The pics of the towing itself were interesting to see, thanks.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Hey Arms, how much would you like it if some robber running from a cop turns the corner too fast and rams right into your living room? It also kills your mom and your kid sister. Later, someone took pictures of the house being carried off on a flatbed tractor trailer by a enormous crane.

If I got pictures of that, and posted it in a newspaper, and put in the caption, "NICE HOLE", would you be mad? Would you try to sue the newspaper?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Lets see dude:
a house - is common and seen everyday
break-ins to houses - are common and done everyday

a warship - is uncommon, and not seen everyday (unless you're in the navy)
a bombing to a warship - very uncommon in non-war circumstances

The 2 scenarios are so incredibly different that the rest of your post is irrelevant to discuss.

TechieZero

Mar 21, 2000
How did they do that? Do they get big cranes to hoist the Destroyer on the larger ship or does trhe larger ship submerse somehow? The latter would be amazing.

And the rest of you other guys need to try other non-decafenated beverages that I hear are just as tasty. :D

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

My $.02.

The "floating drydock" is a very cool ship. I'm glad that they exist... if the Cole had to make it across the atlantic either towed or under its own power, it could have broken apart.

The bombing, however, was not cool and was added to the "day of infamy" list. Don't worry, we'll get them, and make them pay.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
TechieZero, try reading ALL of the above posts, it is explained there. ;)

As for the other issue, he changed the wording so I say just let it drop. Some of you have to realize though that when you are talking about something that concerns people so deeply, more tact should be shown. I don't think he should be flamed to death (especially since he reworded it), but I can understand why some felt it wasn't appropriate.

Anyways, just let it drop.

TechieZero

Mar 21, 2000
Ahhhhhh I found it, thanks. I skipped over to much, it was looking like flame, flame, flame defense, more flaming etc.

AfterBurn

Apr 24, 2000
Q, slightly offtopic:

Why is it that in general Americans and English find it so cool when someone from abroad is able to speak their language, knowing they only speak English, they also immediately forget English isnt someones first language when they word something the wrong way?

When i visit the US, or England, or any country i speak the language of basically (except France), people i meet always think its very cool i can (and try) to speak their language. However, as soon as you mess up and unintentionally word something in a way that can be taken the wrong way, the consideration of a foreign language and the attempt to master it is forgotten, and it is take the wrong way, as if it were said by someone that for whom it is their native language. With sometime not so nice results and lots of explaining and apologizing needed. The initial credit gets turned around and slapped in your face.

As i told my girlfriend (who is american) in a recent discussion: i will try to master english as well as i possibly can, but i will not apologize for it when i dont. Its not my first language and nobody can expect me to master it as if it were.