Forum Update & Fixes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
lame. either have both up and downvotes or no votes at all.
Eh, like is a nice way to say I agree without having to post a reply. Fits in perfectly with my new lazy ass posting style :wink:
Also, as a victim of a driveby downvoter, I don't miss the dislikes.

Last edited:

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Nov 24, 2014
www.futureplc.com
No more post reaction options? Other than LIKE? We went from maybe 20, to 5 at last upgrade, and now ... 1.
Is that the new reality we must embrace?

Reactions was such a popular feature for XenForo as an add-on, that they integrated them into the standard vanilla version of the software. They'll likely make a return.

Larger avatar images would be superb. They are literally thumbnails.

How big we talkin'?

As Amol noted above: the blue line across the top everywhere seems to be el permanente.

Can you show me exactly what you mean by this "blue line"? A screenshot would work best.

i don't think those are stickies, it's just that a billion of them were dumped at once, pushing threads down the page.

We're going to deprecate the older "Article Management System" for a more streamlined and better version of tutorial/walkthrough/how-to system called "Featured Threads". It's a heck of a lot less brutal on the database. What you're currently seeing in that particular category is a bulk conversion of those Article Management System write-ups.

When is the ad fixes that I posted about going to happen? When is the blue line fix happening? When will ghost ads stop appearing? Is Buzz60 removed from AnandTech for good? Is the green/gray/red bar removed for good? If any of them was removed, why were they removed?

1. What ad fixes? Can you cite specifics?
2. Blue line - see above request for screenie.
3. What ghost ads? Can you provide additional details to allow us to replicate what you mean?
4. I am wracking my brain on "Buzz60", but there's been no add-on or module with that name since the migration to XenForo quite a bit of time ago. Can you elaborate?
5. By green/gray/red bar, you mean the reputation bar? If so, yes - it has been removed for good. The reputation bar was a component of the previous Reactions system that has been made obsolete due to XenForo folding in a complete reactions system. Reputation is now a function of questions answers, points, and trophy rewards.

-JP

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Eh, like is a nice way to say I agree with having to post a reply. Fits in perfectly with my new lazy ass posting style :wink:
Also, as a victim of a driveby downvoter, I don't miss the dislikes.
fake internet points: srs bsns

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Reactions was such a popular feature for XenForo as an add-on, that they integrated them into the standard vanilla version of the software. They'll likely make a return.
*clap*

How big we talkin'?
When we're typing up a reply to a thread ... there's our sweet 1" square avatar next to the input box. If that's possible ... I think it's something we could all get behind.

Can you show me exactly what you mean by this "blue line"? A screenshot would work best.

-JP
Here it is. Top edge of client area.
barr.jpg

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Reputation is now a function of questions answers, points, and trophy rewards.
In that case can you fix my trophy rewards? They haven't worked right since the first Xenforo.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
No more post reaction options? Other than LIKE? We went from maybe 20, to 5 at last upgrade, and now ... 1.
Is that the new reality we must embrace?

Larger avatar images would be superb. They are literally thumbnails.

As Amol noted above: the blue line across the top everywhere seems to be el permanente.
When is the ad fixes that I posted about going to happen? When is the blue line fix happening? When will ghost ads stop appearing? Is Buzz60 removed from AnandTech for good? Is the green/gray/red bar removed for good? If any of them was removed, why were they removed?
1. What ad fixes? Can you cite specifics?
2. Blue line - see above request for screenie.
3. What ghost ads? Can you provide additional details to allow us to replicate what you mean?
4. I am wracking my brain on "Buzz60", but there's been no add-on or module with that name since the migration to XenForo quite a bit of time ago. Can you elaborate?
5. By green/gray/red bar, you mean the reputation bar? If so, yes - it has been removed for good. The reputation bar was a component of the previous Reactions system that has been made obsolete due to XenForo folding in a complete reactions system. Reputation is now a function of questions answers, points, and trophy rewards.

-JP
1. Sure no problems, I already posted the images and made specific descriptions of the issue already on a previous post on this page, but here are two links that go to two posts that talk about different issuesrelating to ads.
[BLOCKQUOTE]
Link 1: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/forum-update-fixes.2570099/post-39926349
Link 2 (Talks about the ghost ads): https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/forum-update-fixes.2570099/post-39926360
[/BLOCKQUOTE]

2. Its visible on the screen shots on the posts linked above, but bellow is a more detailed screenshot.
1568348779057.png

3. Replication for a ghost ad is a game of chance. I gave you the link to a post that talks about the ghost ad in detail with a screen shot. Its either the ghost ad happens or not, just like how if you get an ad that advertises SuperMicro or Microsoft Office. The only issue with the ghost ad is that the ad never loads and its border frames start to overlap with other content (which is the issue, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue).

4. Buzz60 hopefully the screen shots bellow may ring a bell about what i am talking about. The following screenshot is from an AnandTech sister/brother website Toms Hardware Forums. Look at the top corner right area, you may recognize what I am talking about or referring to as Buzz 60, where its currently playing Don't Miss. What happened to this thing? Was it removed, or is there a glitch? If it was removeed, why was it removed? Two screenshots from Buzz60's own YouTube channel has been added.
1568349478054.png

1568349157955.png............ 1568349218468.png

5. Ok. Since you responded to someone stating that it was an add-on to the vannilla version that might soon be making a comeback ... so in the mean time we should upload images of smiley face and other emoji images, and put them on our posts as either thumbnails or full images.
smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes_1f60a.png

bluechris

Sep 19, 2014
I browse the forum with tapatalk and the unread posts are full with threads with
"How to fix ios12 blabla" etc.
This threads created from yesterday? Or is it that before the forum update this whole How to section wasn't count in unread threads?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL. And WTF is "Buzz60"? I sure don't want auto-play videos on my forum pages, thanks. The YT thumbnails are bad enough.