Forum Name and Description At Odds

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Is this supposed to be *nix board, or an open source board? Is BSD, macOS, Windows, etc. open source software not allowed? Is it not an open source board? It's all very confusing.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Fair question. It seems the author got distracted when writing the description.
Or maybe there's some history behind it. Like there where 3 forums at some point: Windows, Apple and *nix. But someone noticed there are other OSes as well, so they just changed the title. :)

Also, what about proprietary software run on Linux? Where should we discuss it?
It's not exactly a small or exotic list, since it includes Opera, Dropbox, Slack, Steam and long list of paid software available on Linux? :)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd have just left as *nix. The non *nix libre systems seldom turn up, but anyone running them would be reasonably aware *nix would be the closest fit. I doubt there's many n00bs installing ReactOS, showing up here, and having no idea where the best place to ask about it would be.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It's not like I'm against discussing proprietary software on *nix/BSD/whatever, I just wanted to point out how obviously and ridiculously at odds the board name is with the description.

I actually relied on hiri, a for-pay proprietary piece of software to get consistent exchange email working on *nix. Evolution was the next closest, and I used it if I were on a GTK desktop. But hiri saved my butt.

At the end of the day, I will use what gets the job done. I will always prefer it be FOSS, but I'm not going to gimp my workflow or waste my time if it doesn't fulfill my needs.