Formula BOINC-2018 version

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
So...Happy New Year! and....what, if anything do we think we should try to do about the Marathon?

Personally, I am looking forward to running the Sprints only, and just letting the Marathon happen as it happens, which allows everyone to run their favorite project (between Sprints).

My hope for the TeAm in League ONE, is that we can finish the year in 9th, or better, as we have proven ourselves capable of 9th in 2017's Pentathlon. :)

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Happy new year! I think StefanR5R already mentioned before that our FB points significantly came from the sprints and that should be our main focus this year to have a shot in top 10.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I think we will habe to have a group effort between sprints to pick up extra points this season. A lot of firepower in League 1. There site seems to be down with a Python error, so if points for marathons start scoring now, im going to add some CPU's to Universe, Mindlodeling, and run my DP cards on MW, Enigma or Einstein to start. Ill run with others that want to group up in some projects for a few days or weeks for mass effect. And of course the Pentathalon is coming also.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
My strategy will be to participate fully in all the Sprints, and participate in various Marathon projects in between. It seems to me that some individuals have made a significant difference in project scores, are the Marathons really unimportant?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
No, not unimportant, but we are going up against teams that have a few dozen Stefan's each, who can direct said members in 5 different directions at once.

Naturally, we should always be on the lookout for low hanging fruit, but it will be slim pickings for the major projects. The oddball projects may be easier to get a few points in, but, for me, I need to run something I believe in, for the majority of the time.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm doing my best to be enthusiastic about all the science, but yeah, I get what you are saying. There are certain projects that call to me.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I will be running whatever suits my fancy and encourage others to do the same.
I will run the sprints with all I got as it is a fun diversion.
While we are a competitive bunch I encourage people to run projects that they like best. This is to me the best site and forums around. Good people. Good info. Good times and no pressure to do this or that. I have been here since the inception, off and on as real life sometimes takes precidence, but have always been welcomed back. I digress.
Anyway as the new year glitches are worked out I'll do my best to do stats for the Sprints.
Oh, and Happy New Year.:):D

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'll be in much more this year compared to 2017. However, I've not yet decided on strategy. I think we should discuss that somewhere else ... ;)

Reactions: Ken g6

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The first sprint of 2018 is not until late March.:eek:
I will hold off until the the first of March to make a thread for the races. :D

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I imagine the thing to remember with sprints this year is that if we're in the top ten, we get points.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
The following is an attempt to transfer our 2017 marathon results over to league one. This will give a brief look into our ranking had we been in league one instead of two, and possibly show us where some strength/weaknesses are.

The format is PROJECT/League ONE ranking/League TWO actual ranking

Asteroids /18th /3rd
CSG /8th /3rd --4 points
ClimatePrediction /20th /6th
Collatz /14th /5th
Cosmology /17th /7th
DENIS /14th /4th
Einstein /16th /3rd
Enigma /4th /2nd --12 points
Gerasim /11th /6th
GPUGrid /14th /6th
Leiden /4th /2nd --12 points
LHC /21st /4th
Milkyway /8th /4th --4 points
MindModeling 7th/ 1st --6 points
Moo! /12th /5th
NFS /5th /5th --10 points
NumberFields /9th /7th --2 points
PrimeGrid /17th /9th
RNA World /11th /6th
Rosetta /21st /4th
SETI /15th /3rd
Sztaki /11th /8th
dDM /6th /3rd --8 points
POGS /17th /9th
TN-Grid /9th /4th --2 points
Universe /12th /6th
VGTU /5th /2nd --10 points
Wanless /13th /9th
WCG /18th /5th
YAFU /5th /1st --10 points
YoYo /13th /4th

80 points just in the Marathon, not counting Sprint points. A lot of concentrated effort on many of the lessor known projects though. And a fairly poor showing on some of our favorites.

I'll have to admit, 80 points is far better than I expected. :)

In the Sprints, just doing a quick comparison to league one, we were almost always 3rd or 4th, an occasional 5th, and one 9th. Wow. Nice. Possibly a 6th place finish in League One for 2017!

Let's hope League One stays asleep for the most part on the Sprints, like last year.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Here is the possible list for FB this year, unofficialy since the site is under going the conversion.
http://formula-boinc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100
Lists new projects and drops others. Page 2 has this list.

Thanks for your comments. Here is projects list for 2018
  • Accoustics@home (New in 2018)
  • Amicable Numbers (New in 2018)
  • Asteroids@home
  • Atlas@home
  • BURP
  • CAS@home
  • Citizen Science Grid
  • Climate Prediction
  • Collatz conjecture
  • Cosmology@home
  • DENIS@home
  • DrugDiscovery@home (New in 2018)
  • Einstein@home
  • Enigma@home
  • FiND@home
  • Gerasim@home
  • GoofyxGrid@home NCI
  • GPUGrid
  • Latin squares (New in 2018)
  • Lattice Project
  • Leiden Classical
  • LHC@home
  • Milkyway@home
  • MindModeling@home beta
  • Moo! Wrapper
  • NFS@home
  • NumberFields@home
  • ODLK (New in 2018)
  • PRIMABOINCA
  • PrimeGrid
  • Quake Catcher Network
  • Radioactive@home
  • Rake Search (New in 2018)
  • RNA World
  • Rosetta@home
  • SAT@Home
  • Seti@home
  • SRBase
  • Sztaki Desktop Grid
  • The dDM-Project
  • theSkyNet POGS - the PS1 Optical Galaxy Survey
  • TN-Grid
  • Universe@Home
  • VGTU@home
  • Wanless Mersenne +2
  • World Community Grid
  • XANSONS for COD (New in 2018)
  • Yafu
  • Yoyo@home

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The following is an attempt to transfer our 2017 marathon results over to league one. This will give a brief look into our ranking had we been in league one instead of two, and possibly show us where some strength/weaknesses are.
Thanks for this investigation. Really helpful data.

In the Sprints, just doing a quick comparison to league one, we were almost always 3rd or 4th, an occasional 5th, and one 9th. Wow. Nice. Possibly a 6th place finish in League One for 2017!
In the second half of 2017, OcUK had a tendency to beat us in CPU races. Need to keep this in mind. (Or better yet, need to step up our game.)

http://formula-boinc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100
Lists new projects and drops others. Page 2 has this list.
They need to drop Leiden Classical, at least for sprints. It's EOL. And its rate-limited work generator (almost) prevents any sorts of sprints. Edit: OK, [H]Skillz and others already posted this in that thread.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
You forgot to strike out these projects:

• Atlas@home
  • FiND@home
  • GoofyxGrid@home NCI (Yay!)
  • Lattice Project
  • Leiden Classical :(
  • PRIMABOINCA
  • Quake Catcher Network
  • Radioactive@home
  • SAT@Home
Oops. I did a copy/paste of the list and didnt pay attention to cross outs not showing up.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Hah, rank 24 of 25 at the January 02, 00:00 CET/UTC+1 update.
As to be expected if several of us run F@H and a low-paying PrimeGrid subproject currently.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder what the deal is with Asteroids, do they need us to send them some hard drives?

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Regarding: project XANSONS
Invitation code: x4c-updates

Work is spooling down, and sporadic, uses multi-threaded CPU and GPU (Intel (8th gen or newer), Nvidia, AMD), and is another bad choice to be on the Sprint list.

XANSONS for COD is currently issuing both multi-threaded CPU and some GPU tasks. This is a Formula BOINC project, it is in it's final days, so it may be the last chance to get credit in it (FB points will be 'locked-in' when the project closes, so potentially if we score well, we can forget about it for the rest of the year).