Former Republican announces race for the White House

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: loki8481
what better way to express libertarian ideas than get pro-universal healthcare elected president. :confused:

We can't begin to change the country without first changing our party. It is a seemingly ironic goal, in giving the presidency to Obama, but our options are limited.

I only wish there was such a movement trying to improve the Democrat party.

I'm going to blow a gasket if you RP fuckers give Obama this election. You of all people should realize that the government never gets smaller. Once Universal Healthcare is imposed upon us, we will have it forever. No dream conservative from your future will ever be able to do away with it, ever.

Dreams and ideals are desirable and noble, but if you get fucked in the ass while you're staring whimsically at the stars, you're a dumbass.

Ron Paul supporters aren't going to give Obama this election, he almost certainly won't need them. If you don't like UHC I'm sorry, but the overwhelming majority of America wants it, and has wanted it for years. Seems like it's finally our time to catch up to the rest of the world.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
what better way to express libertarian ideas than get pro-universal healthcare elected president. :confused:

We can't begin to change the country without first changing our party. It is a seemingly ironic goal, in giving the presidency to Obama, but our options are limited.

I'm going to blow a gasket if you RP fuckers give Obama this election. You of all people should realize that the government never gets smaller. Once Universal Healthcare is imposed upon us, we will have it forever. No dream conservative from your future will ever be able to do away with it, ever.

Dreams and ideals are desirable and noble, but if you get fucked in the ass while you're staring whimsically at the stars, you're a dumbass.

Ron Paul supporters aren't going to give Obama this election, he almost certainly won't need them. If you don't like UHC I'm sorry, but the overwhelming majority of America wants it, and has wanted it for years. Seems like it's finally our time to catch up to the rest of the world.

The problem is that the RPers are attacking the candidate most aligned with their values: McCain. So people will hear extra negative stuff about McCain. Instead they should be attacking the guy championing big government intruding into every facet of our lives.

It doesn't matter what the majority wants. I will not be subject to the tyranny of the majority even if I am in the minority (and I don't believe I am.) The fact is that a majority of Americans have health insurance. And yet all these programs and proposals are tailored for and targetted at those who don't. Yes, those people will be better off. But everyone else will be worse off. It's welfare, class equalization, whatever you want to call it, it's wrong.

Makes me glad I'll be paying virtually no taxes in the military. Hope I don't have to go ex-pat when I get out.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

The problem is that the RPers are attacking the candidate most aligned with their values: McCain. So people will hear extra negative stuff about McCain. Instead they should be attacking the guy championing big government intruding into every facet of our lives.

It doesn't matter what the majority wants. I will not be subject to the tyranny of the majority even if I am in the minority (and I don't believe I am.) The fact is that a majority of Americans have health insurance. And yet all these programs and proposals are tailored for and targetted at those who don't. Yes, those people will be better off. But everyone else will be worse off. It's welfare, class equalization, whatever you want to call it, it's wrong.

Makes me glad I'll be paying virtually no taxes in the military. Hope I don't have to go ex-pat when I get out.

LOL, yeah, blame us for the fall of the Republican party. :laugh:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You'll still be paying significant taxes in the military, trust me. You won't have to pay taxes when you're shipped off to Iraq of Afghanistan, but that's not much of a tradeoff. I'd love to have the 8 months of my life I wasted in the gulf back for the 8 months worth of taxes I didn't have to pay.

The UHC proposals are not targeted for people that don't have health insurance, they are a substitute plan in order to fix our horribly broken system. Under any decent UHC plan (as the rest of the world has) you will pay less money for more care then you get now, everyone wins. It's not welfare, it's not class equalization, it's just not being insane and perpetuating a private system that is a total failure.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

You'll still be paying significant taxes in the military, trust me. You won't have to pay taxes when you're shipped off to Iraq of Afghanistan, but that's not much of a tradeoff. I'd love to have the 8 months of my life I wasted in the gulf back for the 8 months worth of taxes I didn't have to pay.

The UHC proposals are not targeted for people that don't have health insurance, they are a substitute plan in order to fix our horribly broken system. Under any decent UHC plan (as the rest of the world has) you will pay less money for more care then you get now, everyone wins. It's not welfare, it's not class equalization, it's just not being insane and perpetuating a private system that is a total failure.

My accountant left the Army a Captain in 2005, according to him it's entirely possible to pay an average of 6% income tax per year. I guess we'll see.

As it stands now, I'm getting the best care. Things couldn't be better for me. UHC can only drag down health care as a whole, devaluing the profession of the doctor, and brining the overall quality of health care down. I won't pay any less money, (Yes, Nebor, this is your health insurance company, we just wanted to lower your rates!) I'll pay the same to my insurance company, plus more for UHC. We're already slated to spend most of our future budgets on existing welfare programs (Medicare, Social Security.) So yeah, let's add some more. People like "free" stuff. Except those of us that are paying for it. :roll:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

McCain is aligned with libertarian values? Sorry, which part of the Iraq war, the war on drugs, the war on terrorism, the war on the Constitution and the war on liberty that the Republicans are currently conducting that are in line with libertarian views?

McCain is a neocon. He has no more in common with libertarians than any other mainstream candidate. I'll be supporting Obama because if the government is going to steal the product of my labor, then I'd at least like to get something for it. McCain and the neocons rob me and give me nothing in return.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
"cannot stomach John McCain's liberal policies"

The Republicans are in serious trouble if they think McCain is a liberal.