Former Pope Benedict XVl dead at the ripe old age of 95

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
First a world famous soccer athlete, then a legendary news anchor , now a "former" pope. :(

FlS_uEsX0AEqjBY.jpg

Former Pope Benedict XVI has died at the age of 95 after a period of ill health, the Vatican announced Saturday.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I'm not Catholic, but I happened to be at the Vatican on vacation when this pope was in office. I saw him give a speech from very far away.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm not Catholic, but I happened to be at the Vatican on vacation when this pope was in office. I saw him give a speech from very far away.

I was a Catholic for many years. I'm not one now. Kager69's comment is how I feel about the Catholic Pope.

Been looking into Islam though...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You can still take comfort in there being some good Jesuits out there, nuns too, but if it's an organized faith with clean hands you seek I have disappointing news. Current pope is not terrible, fwiw.

Dec 10, 2005
You can still take comfort in there being some good Jesuits out there, nuns too, but if it's an organized faith with clean hands you seek I have disappointing news. Current pope is not terrible, fwiw.
The current pope is not terrible, but it's clear he's running up against the power structure of what is effectively a medieval institution structured on lord and vassal type arrangements. The pope is not an absolute monarch, and the cardinals are like very powerful lords who can limit the power of the pope (and down that system perpetuates, right down to the local dioceses).

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As Pope's go, he seemed ok.

edit- just realized he wasn't the current Pope. This dude wasn't that good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Rest in peace Pope Benedict. From what I've been reading, he never wanted to be more than just a parish priest but kept getting promoted as being the right man at the right place and the right time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

For as much shit that Benedict received (and deserved), he did spearhead the investigation into the rape cases and was profoundly transparent (profound in the sense that this would be the first time the Church allowed such records to be scrutinized).

So, however you look at it, he was the most important individual in righting the course of justice here. Francis hasn't really been better than him in hits regard (as good, I would say...so not worse)

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Another pederast defending mummy for the display.

Anyway...

Meh. Make one mention of how teachers are the biggest predators on the planet and watch the defenders crawl out of the woodwork.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
For as much shit that Benedict received (and deserved), he did spearhead the investigation into the rape cases and was profoundly transparent (profound in the sense that this would be the first time the Church allowed such records to be scrutinized).

Link to report (pdf file, 1900 pages - German) - https://westpfahl-spilker.de/wp-con...Muenchen-und-Freising-vom-20.-Januar-2022.pdf

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Link to report (pdf file, 1900 pages) - https://westpfahl-spilker.de/wp-con...Muenchen-und-Freising-vom-20.-Januar-2022.pdf

yep.

but he was still the first one to act. I didn't suggest that this was a high bar to reach, haha