Former Marine detained for facebook post

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
It's "the right to keep and bear (not bare) arms shall not be infringed" and it seems pretty self explanatory to me.... especially the "not be infringed" part.

Definition of INFRINGE

transitive verb

1: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another

It had many struggles in which way to interpret that though. Does arms mean only guns? Or any weapons?

According to the time period this was written and the grammar used, this amendment was probably ment only for militia use. Not individual use.

Yet now we apply it to individual use. (See, easy to update Who the 2nd amendment is aimed at).

Also the "bear" part. That means to carry. Yet we cannot carry without a license today. Well legally anyways. Again an update that can be added.

All I am saying is, the wording/specifics should be added to the laws that need them, to update it to the 21st century.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Speak for yourself. I never supported it, it was shoved down my throat.

Yeah I get that, I'm just stating that most of the country and our politicians supported this stuff when it was happening because we still trusted our elected officials and didn't really see the bigger picture. They played on our fear and sold us a bill of goods.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
We all did, at the time. The nation was pretty unified by patriotism at that moment in time. We were all wrong, of course, and it appears in hindsight that 9/11 was used against Americans for a number of reasons by our politicians.

You owe Russ Feingold an apology.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
All I am saying is, the wording/specifics should be added to the laws that need them, to update it to the 21st century.

Then add that to the laws and leave the bill of rights alone.

And, as far as I'm aware (in my state anyway) you can carry legally as long as it's not concealed. You don't seem to even know what you're talking about.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
And why is that?

He took an oath to defend this nation from all invaders, foreign and domestic, and paid the price to prove he meant it when he made that oath. If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it is those guys.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
We all did, at the time. The nation was pretty unified by patriotism at that moment in time. We were all wrong, of course, and it appears in hindsight that 9/11 was used against Americans for a number of reasons by our politicians.

No we all did not!

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I was all for the Patriot Act when it was first passed.
The more I learned about it the less I liked it. It needs to be totally revoked and redone. Much like the stupid ACA.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I was all for the Patriot Act when it was first passed.
The more I learned about it the less I liked it. It needs to be totally revoked and redone. Much like the stupid ACA.

Of course you were, like most of us who are patriots and love our country and thought we were headed for war. As you said, it needs to be revoked.

No we all did not!

We've already been over this, you should read more of the thread before you post.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Of course you were, like most of us who are patriots and love our country and thought we were headed for war. As you said, it needs to be revoked.

We've already been over this, you should read more of the thread before you post.

You should stop making blanket statements.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Then add that to the laws and leave the bill of rights alone.

And, as far as I'm aware (in my state anyway) you can carry legally as long as it's not concealed. You don't seem to even know what you're talking about.

And in my state you cant even carry unless it is concealed AND I have a permit. Which requires a course of gun safety (4 hours long) and passing a ridiculously easy test.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
You should stop making blanket statements.

People should stop nitpicking. I had plenty of friends in 2001 and almost nobody I worked with or hung out with was against it. Just because a few of you did, and feel the need to bash the rest of us for our patriotism, does not mean you need to keep coming into this thread and giving me shit because I am mistyping a word here or there.

Need I remind you about "you didn't build that"? Chill out people, context.