Former "friend" leaves derilect car on my premesis - can I have it removed without cost to me at all?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Quick back story -

We had let my brother-in-law and his at the time girlfriend temporarily stay with us while they looked for a place of their own. They have since split ways and now the ex-girlfriend is destined for Florida by bus tomorrow. However, during the couple weeks they were here, the ex-girlfriend had her disfunctional piece of crap car brought over here from the repair shop, as she was intending on getting it registered and back on the road.

This was about 6 months ago. The car is still here. She is for all intents gone and without a trace as of tomorrow - and we do not have any contact with her after this point. My wife is hopefully going to talk to her tonight and find out what she is going to do about the car. However, I doubt anything will happen.

So - without keys and/or title to the car, is there any way I can have the car removed from our driveway by the city or anyone else either at no expense to me or at her expense (assuming they can track her down) - ie: impounded or whatever. We in no way gave her permission to store the car on our property, and have asked her several times in the last 3 months to remove it, which she has come once to see if it would run, which it didn't, at least not very well.

Ideas? I need to get it off the property as soon as possible.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Possibly call the police station and ask them? I don't know what they would do about an unauthorized car being in your driveway.

ZV

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Call to get it towed.

Does it work? It's a waste of a alright car if it does run.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Howard
Call to get it towed.

Does it work? It's a waste of a alright car if it does run.

It needs work, no doubt about it. I think it needs a new battery, and possibly some radiator and/or tranny work. However, without title to the car (and keys for that matter), it doesn't matter whether it's a waste or not, I can't legally do anything with it (it would technically be stolen at that point afaik).

shekondar

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Here in Indy there's a number you can call and report abandoned cars...call the city & see if you can report it as an abandoned car and have it removed

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
sounds like you could have some fun with it first. knife the tires, riddle it with bullets etc:)

eh, thers probably a law about abandoned cars, esp if its an eyesore. so make sure its an eyesore.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
i would ask her to move it, or at least pay to have it removed(if it costs anything), and if she says no i would take her to court, just small people's court stuff, and get her to pay the money it cost to have the car removed, but MAKE SURE you have proof that you asked her numours times to move it, that you gave her no permisson to park it, and that she refused to pay for it. and make sure you keep the receipt. You don't need a lawyer for this one.

Dogg

Alkaline5

Jun 21, 2001
The things been in your driveway for six months? I'd say you own it. Get it documented with the cops first and see if you can sell it to a salvage yard for a few bucks.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
I don't think anyone will remove it from your driveway for free but if a car is abonandond on the road it will be towed at the owners expances and if it isn't claim in a certain amount of time the company that towed the car can get title and sell it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
toolbox=check
sh!tbox car=check
ebay=check

profit=???

Being reported for selling a car without a title to transfer = KA-beloved patriot goes the jail cell door.

thats why he listed the toolbox silly. sell parts, not the whole with that nasty vin business;)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Move it onto the street and than report an abandoned car. The city should take care of it from there.

This is after checking with the girl that she doesn't want it anymore.

shekondar

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Spencer278
I don't think anyone will remove it from your driveway for free but if a car is abonandond on the road it will be towed at the owners expances and if it isn't claim in a certain amount of time the company that towed the car can get title and sell it.
Push it into the street...:evil:

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: shekondar
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Push it into the street...:evil:

I was just about to post that! Push it into the street and let the owner take care of the bill! seriously.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: etech
Move it onto the street and than report an abandoned car. The city should take care of it from there.

This is after checking with the girl that she doesn't want it anymore.

most devious and excellent idea so far.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Just found out that she signed the car over to the aforementioned brother-in-law's brother. He's supposed to be coming to get it in the next two days. If it's not gone by the end of the week, off into the road it goes.