Former Chicago police officer Jason Van *** beaten by inmates in prison

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Does anybody feel sorry for this man? I for one do not feel sorry for him.....16 shots fired all by this man......

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/former-ch...**-beaten-173509295--abc-news-topstories.html
A former Chicago police officer convicted of second-degree murder in the killing of an African-American teenager he shot 16 times received a dose of prison justice just days after Illinois prosecutors moved to seek a harsher sentence for him, his wife said Thursday.

Jason Van *** was allegedly beaten by inmates at a federal prison in Danbury, Connecticut, where he was secretly moved to last week, his wife and his attorneys said during a news conference in Chicago.

Van ***, 40, was beaten in his cell by several inmates four hours after he was placed in a general population unit at the prison on Feb. 7, said Tammy Wendt, one of Van ***'s attorneys.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I saw his interview on Fox News before his trial. The man is pathetic. Before he arrived at the scene he asked his partner why the other cops hadn't shot McDonald yet, meaning this was premeditated. He's getting exactly what he deserves.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'd read this earlier in the day

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/jason-van-***-sentence/index.html

The aggravated battery charges carried potentially more prison time. Each of the 16 counts would have carried a minimum sentence of six years in prison. When combined, Van *** could have faced up to 96 years in prison, a stiff penalty many protesters and activists were hoping for.
Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and Kane County State's Attorney Joe McMahon, the special prosecutor who tried the case, filed a petition -- called a writ of mandamus -- in the Illinois Supreme Court asking the court to vacate Van ***'s second-degree murder sentence, authorities said. The petition asked to instead impose a sentence on each of the 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.
They are also asking the court to determine which of those aggravated battery convictions "involved 'severe bodily injury' warranting consecutive sentences."
Authorities said they plan to work with the court to review the legality of the sentence.
"It is important that a police officer was held accountable for criminal conduct," McMahon said in the statement.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'd read this earlier in the day

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/jason-van-***-sentence/index.html

The aggravated battery charges carried potentially more prison time. Each of the 16 counts would have carried a minimum sentence of six years in prison. When combined, Van *** could have faced up to 96 years in prison, a stiff penalty many protesters and activists were hoping for.
Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and Kane County State's Attorney Joe McMahon, the special prosecutor who tried the case, filed a petition -- called a writ of mandamus -- in the Illinois Supreme Court asking the court to vacate Van ***'s second-degree murder sentence, authorities said. The petition asked to instead impose a sentence on each of the 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.
They are also asking the court to determine which of those aggravated battery convictions "involved 'severe bodily injury' warranting consecutive sentences."
Authorities said they plan to work with the court to review the legality of the sentence.
"It is important that a police officer was held accountable for criminal conduct," McMahon said in the statement.
Good read! I also read that article!
it is unfathomable to me that it would take 16 shots to ….lets just say this is so wrong!! This ex officer gets what he gets!!

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
I wish they released the name of the inmates so I can put money on their books.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Basic law is that the government owes a duty of protection towards someone in involuntary custody-with liability on the government's part for violating that duty.

Generally ex-cops are NEVER put in general population-and a four hour beating also raises real questions about the guard supervision. Someone really screwed up here, and I'm afraid we taxpayers are going to pay through the nose for this. Regardless of what the guy did to get in prison, it's sickening that you and I have to bear the extra expense of this incompetence.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Basic law is that the government owes a duty of protection towards someone in involuntary custody-with liability on the government's part for violating that duty.

Generally ex-cops are NEVER put in general population-and a four hour beating also raises real questions about the guard supervision. Someone really screwed up here, and I'm afraid we taxpayers are going to pay through the nose for this. Regardless of what the guy did to get in prison, it's sickening that you and I have to bear the extra expense of this incompetence.
It wasn't a four hour beating, the beating happened four hours after he arrived at the prison. If it was a four hour beating, he'd surely be dead.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The guy is filth and should remain in prison, but he should not be beaten there. That should just not happen in prison. Period.
He'll have to hook up with the white supremacists for protection. I'm guessing they'll find his resume acceptable.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Nothing will come of this.......it very rarely does when it concerns inmates attacking inmates! The guards will not be held accountable! Why? Because just like police they have certain immunities from prosecution!
Now if that ex policeman was killed by inmates now we have a different can of worms!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The guy is filth and should remain in prison, but he should not be beaten there. That should just not happen in prison. Period.
I agree!! But hardened inmates running around with huge woodys should not happen either.....