Formatting Computer, How to I backup Steam Saved Games?

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I've never done this. I have a huge steam collection, and usually only keep 3-4 games at a time installed. I usually format between games if needed.

Anyways, my Desktop is due for a Format. I'd also like to try Win 8 again with some of the new UI mod's coming out.

The only game right now I want to save is Sleeping Dogs. I'm about 50% done it, and I want to format, and then resume where I left off. Whats the best way to do this?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Depends on where they are saved. They usually just go with whatever the original game wanted. Older DOS and Win 95 stuff almost always saved in the same directory as the game itself. Newer games prefer to save in My Documents and some under My Games. Keep in mind Steam also syncs many save games now. BUT, if all you keep installed is 3-4 games at a time then I would just go hunt them down individually.

In my case I'd be in trouble, cuz I got a 1TB drive just for Steam and its almost full. But really I dont need all the save games. In fact I'd only wanna keep some of my longer role-playing games and the rest could just disappear, I wouldnt care. RTS's it doest matter. Puzzle games definitely dont matter. Most shooters can be level skipped anyway.

On an unrelated topic: I miss DOS.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
you're going to have to go to the steam forums and find where the saved files are kept. most are usually in a folder in the steam directory but several can pop them in somewhere else.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You should be pretty safe it you get the steam directory and your windows profile directory.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Ahh I see, I just figured steam had its own place for them.

Sleeping Dogs is not a Steam Cloud game, so unfortunately I need to backup manually.

I'll just google it. Thanks!

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
check Program Files > steamapps folder. Since it's not a valve game, there will likely be inside a folder labeled "common" right after steamapps.

Be sure to take the gcf/ncf files that are labeled sleeping dogs if there are any.

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
Cant you sync to the Steam cloud for saved game backup or something?

waterstain

Sep 9, 2011
I highly recommend using this free and easy to use app:

SaveGameBackup.net - Effortlessly Backup and Restore Your Save Games

Whether you are upgrading your system or just reinstalling Windows, SGB.net is the right backup tool for you.

sgbnet201.zip

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I think thats for the game data itself, not necessarily for the saves.

yep, Steam backup won't save your games save data.

Some save game data goes to my documents. i am afraid that you will have to look online for each game. If game stores its save files in Program Files, then it will be under .Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Weird, every game I've ever played in the last half decade has saved it either in the Saved Games folder in my profile on in a folder under My Documents.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
I know of three places where games keep their saves.
Two are in c:\Users\[username]\
My Documents and AppData. AppData is hidden, but this is where a lot of programs keep their config data.
And the third place is steam folder.

Last edited: