FORMAT C: - not working - WHY ??

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Never run into this.

I am trying to help my bro in law fix his machine - error messages all over. Able to format and reload 98SE. Uses it for a few days, and error message back - cannot open certain things - like My Computer.

Do the same thing - and it repeats behavior the second time.

Now I make an attempt to do a really good format - with switches - like ...format c: /u /s - and now the format does not work. Try three different boot disks - all the same.

Yes, I am at a:, using the boot disk to get there.
What is up?
Am I typing out the wrong command ?? - wrong spacing ??

Please help
Andrew in AL

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
What do you mean format doesn't work? Do you get an error message? Is format.com on the floppy?

Agamar

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Like the poster above...sounds like you need to copy format.com from another pc onto the floppy.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
The format program is in the EBD.cab. It is that way on both of my 98SE boot disks.

Just checked an older 95 boot disk - and the format command is not in a .cab.

So what gives? I have used the 95 boot diskin the past to load 98SE - but should not the 98SE boot disk work? Is the floppy not able to pull it out of the .cab?

Note that I was able to do a format and install with the 98SE boot disk initially - just seem to be having trouble the third time around.

Very odd ?? I guess I will try to format using the 95 boot disk. Still leaves me scratching my head - even if it works.

Andrew in AL

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
By the way ...yes, I get an error message. Should have wrote it down - but did not.

It is the same one you get at the C:\ that tells you that you did not enter the correct parameters - something like that.

Thanks ...men.

Andrew in AL

PrincessGuard

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2001
The Win95 bootdisk probably doesn't support FAT32 (unless you have Win95 OSR2 or later). The error message would be very very helpful in determining your problem.

Your command format c: /u /s seems correct. You actually don't need the /s switch since Windows Setup will copy system files for you anyway.

However, I would run some diagnostics on the hard drive before trying to install anything. The drive might be dying. You can get the diagnostics from the hard drive manufactuer's website.

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thats your problem.

Unless you have format.com on the floppy diskette by itself.. not in a .cab file then it wont work.

Other wise you have to extract it from the .cab file to get it to work.
But that .cab file should be extracted to the ram drive created by the bootdisk.

Change to your ram drive partition then run format from there.

jfunk

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
Could also be infected with a boot sector virus or something like that, which is not cleared by the format alone.

j

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
AKA ..
That is what I first thought - this is in a CAB - have to extract - right?

Then I realized that I had done the format before - with this same (MS original) 98SE boot disk. It had no trouble before - so it has to be something else now.

I am headed over there shortly, and will try the 95 disk - which by the way - is a 2nd edition - thereby allowing for FAT32.

I really think he has a hard drive problem. I noted during all the time that I was attempting all this ...the HD light would just stay on - even when nothing was happening.

Thanks for all the input.
Andrew in AL

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
OK guys. Went back - used my 95 boot disk - with format just 'there' (not in a cab) on the floppy.

Used format c: /u /s ..then used an older 98SE boot disk to get to the CD to do setup . 98SE loaded fine, and he is off to the races.

It worked, but I am still suspicious. If this messes up now - he has got to have a mainboard or HD problem.

Andrew in AL