format and clean install on a P4 system.....any particular drivers and patches needed?

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
One of my roommates has a Dell P4 system and he just did a format and clean install of the operating system (WinME). Are there any special drivers or patches that he will need for the chipset?.....motherboard drivers, IDE or AGP patches and drivers? I'm not really looking for Dell specific stuff, just any sort of drivers/patches that I might need for the 850 chipset. I've never dealt with a P4 system before, so I just thought I would find out from you guys.

Thanks,
Shooters

Grendel99

Dec 12, 2000
Maybe check out Dell's website? Perhaps Intel as well? Not really sure, but a bump for you if nothing else.

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Well, I wasn't really looking for specific Dell stuff, just drivers and patches in general for the 850 chipset, kinda like VIA 4-in-1s and AGP patches for VIA/AMD systems.

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Take a look at the Intel site they should have some 850 drivers avaliable. You might like to take a look at the IAA (Intel Application Acclerator) as well.

StanFL

Dec 30, 1999
The 850 chipset drivers are crucial, download them either from Intel or Dell. It's also crucial that they are loaded first, as soon as the operating system is loaded, before video drivers or anything else. If necessary, I'd do another clean install to get them on before any other drivers are loaded.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
just curious... and so i know for future purpose... are they 850 patch more important than the 4->1's cause them are crucial! :p

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000

<< The 850 chipset drivers are crucial, download them either from Intel or Dell. It's also crucial that they are loaded first, as soon as the operating system is loaded, before video drivers or anything else. If necessary, I'd do another clean install to get them on before any other drivers are loaded. >>

Do you mean the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility? That was the only download I found for the 850 chipset on the Intel site other than the Ultra ATA drivers. Luckily I had him do the chipset installation utility before anything else, so I think it's okay.

Also, I looked at the disk drive properties and the Ultra ATA properties in the Device Manager and couldn't find a setting for DMA. I've used Win98 and Win2k but never WinME. Is DMA automatically enabled or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,
Shooters

keanon

Sep 17, 2001
get the chipset installation util and the intel application accelerator, which replaces the Ultra ATA Controller driver.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It is "CRITICAL" that these be installed in this order as soon as Windows is loaded (Does WindowsXP eliminate a few steps here?)...

LINK

KpocAlypse

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2001

<< Does WindowsXP eliminate a few steps here >>

Well if one likes MS drivers...Yes...XP does include the current Intel chipset drivers...But APP excell is not one of them, of course...One think to note, XP seems to be acting funny with the app. acel. program.....

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Intel IDE storage drivers have DMA enabled by default unlike M$ which are not.

Sharkmeat

Sep 15, 2000
If you use intel ATA drivers you want haft to use DMA setting,it is figured into the ATA,s driver base.It puts in the name of the HD you have,very easy.BTW if it is a dell P4 dell has a master settup disk that loads evething for begainers don't understand way you need the extra info unless you put in a new HD with out master CD codes for the software.