Question Forgot to uninstall Nvidia drivers. Switched from a nvidia card to an RX card. Can’t boot up help!!

DarfolChorf

Jan 2, 2019
I forgot to uninstall my old nvidia gpu drivers and just installed the RX card in. I can’t seem to boot up now. I get a flash of a blue screen and then sends me to the choose to start windows normally or in safe mode. And it just repeats when I go into normal mode. In safe mode my keyboard and mouse do not work. However I can press f8 beforehand and takes me to safemode. Where do I go from here to uninstall nvidia drivers and install RX drivers??

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Have you tried unplugging and plugging back in your kb and mouse? Try using different ports as well, sometimes certain ports need different drivers that might not be loaded in safe mode.

You'll need to either boot in safe mode with internet to download ddu or download it onto a disc or usb drive and transfer it once in safe mode. Or, just uninstalling the nvidia drivers in safe mode might be enough to boot into Windows normally and run ddu from there.

DarfolChorf

Jan 2, 2019
Have you tried unplugging and plugging back in your kb and mouse? Try using different ports as well, sometimes certain ports need different drivers that might not be loaded in safe mode.

You'll need to either boot in safe mode with internet to download ddu or download it onto a disc or usb drive and transfer it once in safe mode. Or, just uninstalling the nvidia drivers in safe mode might be enough to boot into Windows normally and run ddu from there.

I have connected both the mouse and keyboard to a different port. This allowed me to continue. Computer is able to start up from a previous point where it was not damaged.

Reactions: happy medium

DarfolChorf

Jan 2, 2019
For the amd card. Do I uninstall the nvidia drivers using DDU while my pc in on. Like I’m on the desktop, or do I install DDU then turn on my computer in safe mode? Then take out the gpu. Install the amd card and download their drivers from what website though?? (Nvidia >> GTX 750 ti, AMD>> Rx 580

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
For the amd card. Do I uninstall the nvidia drivers using DDU while my pc in on. Like I’m on the desktop, or do I install DDU then turn on my computer in safe mode? Then take out the gpu. Install the amd card and download their drivers from what website though?? (Nvidia >> GTX 750 ti, AMD>> Rx 580

DDU should be used in safe mode. swap the cards afterward, though it probably doesn't matter (safe mode loads a generic driver).

DarfolChorf

Jan 2, 2019
DDU should be used in safe mode. swap the cards afterward, though it probably doesn't matter (safe mode loads a generic driver).

Do I choose clean and shutdown since I’m installing a new gpu. Also I choose nvidia since I’m unistalling nvidia drivers right??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 18