Forgot Standoffs, mobo fried?

FreakInside

Jan 14, 2016
First of all, thank you for reading this

This is my first time build, so bear with me.

I assembled my new pc, but forgot to put the standoffs on. As I turn it on for the first time, it immediately turned off, then on, then off, so I turned off and unplugged the PSU. There was also a faint smell from the under the mobo. D:

So, next, I removed all the parts, then assembled them again outside the case(Mobo, CPU, Stock Cooler, GPU, all connected to PSU), but it turns on only for a second, but then turns itself off(lights and fans spin for at bit). No smell this time... *Have I completely ruined everything or just the motherboard?* :'(

Please help if you can and yes, it's ok to insult my inexperience. :D

Spec's:
Corsair Graphite 380T case
i5-4690K MSI Z97I AC
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix - 4GB GDDR5
Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3-2400 DC 8G
Corsair RM650i Gold - 650W PSU
Kingston HyperX Fury SSD - 240GB

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That sucks!

Only way to know would be to get another motherboard and see. Probably just the motherboard.

See anything burnt on it?

We'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say your mind was occupied by the thought of winning powerball when you were putting the rig together.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I have one of those cases sitting at home, I'm pretty sure the stand offs are welded to the motherboard tray.

Are you sure thats the only thing it could be?

FreakInside

Jan 14, 2016
That sucks!

Only way to know would be to get another motherboard and see. Probably just the motherboard.

See anything burnt on it?

We'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say your mind was occupied by the thought of winning powerball when you were putting the rig together.

I live in the Arctic Circle, low pay and boring environment, it was a thrill when it arrived and I unconsciously rushed to build it. :D
I needed an upgradable, low cost gaming pc, so I bought all parts, thinking it would be easy(all pc building guides did tell me how easy it was...)

I can't see any burned marks at all on the mobo, which makes me doubt about which part won't let it turn on.

If I order a new mobo, it won't be here for a month, I'm a mess right now... :'(

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Then time is on your side.

Did you try to boot with just the cpu and 1 memory stick installed. Cleared cmos?

Motherboards will boot loop sometimes when configuring devices. It's not abnormal for a couple of power on/off cycles on 1st boot.

FreakInside

Jan 14, 2016
I have one of those cases sitting at home, I'm pretty sure the stand offs are welded to the motherboard tray.

Are you sure thats the only thing it could be?

So, the mobo could just be mounted on the 380t? Like just with screws? If that's true, then I'm at a loss here... I will reassemble the whole thing and try again. Thanks for replying :D:thumbsup:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So, the mobo could just be mounted on the 380t? Like just with screws? If that's true, then I'm at a loss here... I will reassemble the whole thing and try again. Thanks for replying :D:thumbsup:

Looking at images of the case you stated it looks like it has the 4 standoffs already installed.

Maybe it's the power supply? Do you have another one to try?

FreakInside

Jan 14, 2016
Then time is on your side.

Did you try to boot with just the cpu and 1 memory stick installed. Cleared cmos?

Motherboards will boot loop sometimes when configuring devices. It's not abnormal for a couple of power on/off cycles on 1st boot.

I'm gonna try reassempling it after work, thank you for replying :D

Wait, boot loop? So... It might have been fine the first time?

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
First step is to leave everything outside the case. Place the motherboard on a piece of wood (the box that the mainboard came with will do fine), and try to start with the CPU and one stick of RAM only. Don't install the video card, use the onboard graphics for the test. Consult your motherboard manual to see which slot the RAM should go in. Also check the CPU socket for bend pins. Don't forget to also try after a CMOS reset.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Probably just a oversight on MSI's part but the 4690k isn't even on the supported CPU list for your motherboard.

Bios update 4.2 does mention Adjust OC Genie Setting for Haswell-Refresh K and Pentinum K processors.

???

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Probably just a oversight on MSI's part but the 4690k isn't even on the supported CPU list for your motherboard.

Bios update 4.2 does mention Adjust OC Genie Setting for Haswell-Refresh K and Pentinum K processors.

???

This.

4690k support is rather fishy.

Just ask for an exchange and grab yourself another mitx board, but this time make sure that it's compatible with your 4690k cpu. Customers do deliberate malicious crap all the time and then they send products back. At least it wasn't deliberate, so don't feel sorry about this.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I did this to my first PC build when I was 15. Quietly returned the ruined motherboard to Microcenter. Screwing the motherboard directly into the case probably shorted a bunch of electrical connections, not to mention actually bent the PCB.

Nothing else was damaged and I would say it's a good chance that nothing else was for you either (the motherboard almost certainly was), but there's really no reasonable way to tell without getting another motherboard and testing it.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001

???

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z97m-itx-ac-msi-z97i-ac-motherboards,4103-5.html

TomsHardware was running a 4790k so a 4690k should work. That said you can see from the photos the bios they had running on their board was v4.7

If you somehow got a board with an early bios you may need an older CPU to update it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Good advice in this thread. :thumbsup;

The last couple times I saw the on off on off issue, a stick of ram was not properly seated. Use each stick one at a time, single stick, as suggested above, and make certain it is really in there right. If the board fried it is doubtful that you would get power up at all. be certain the vid card is seated well too, and all the power connectors are fully seated.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
either way look for them , make sure each screw hole has one under it and also make sure you have -0- standoffs extra , those can short a mobo . Make sure you have the correct connector plugged into the eight pin slot on the top left of your mobo . Your power supply it should have cpu stamped on it , not pci .

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Have you tried removing the power lead and Cmos battery and leaving it for 20-30 mins so all the components can discharge?

tamm

Dec 13, 2013
1) Check with some good lights the tracing to see anything fried.
2) If nothing fried, then try a post with bare mini configuration (1 stick of ram, cpu+cooler , and power supply)
3) If that doesnt work see if you the CPU has any damage
4) If that also doesnt work do a clear CMOS
5) Try a different power supply
6) then confirmed shorted/dead board

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
How anyone "forgets" to use the stand offs is beyond me. I mean they're right there in the bag! Didn't you ever question why you had extra parts?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
How anyone "forgets" to use the stand offs is beyond me. I mean they're right there in the bag! Didn't you ever question why you had extra parts?

How do you get 13k posts in three years? Love Rick and Morty. My nephew says he loves the show so that makes me feel so cool. LOL

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005

Forgetting the standoffs is a newb mistake and I'm guilty of doing it way back in the day only I didn't fry anything in the process. It might of had something to do with the I/O shield not lining up right. :)