forgot root

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
I forgot the exact way, but isn't it pretty easy to break into a linux box if you are at the console?

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
nah...

I remember when I installed, Mandrake 7.2 wouldn't take the 6 characters I usually use. So I added a couple more.

DRATS!

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I think you can use a rescue disk to boot into the kernel and go edit the /etc/password file. Or something along those lines.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
at lilo prompt type
linux single

then when it boots change the root password :)

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
Unless you can get help from a hacker/cracker, I doubt you can get your root password back...

Some people do write their root password down on a piece of paper and put this in a safe place ;)

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hmmm... the boot disk I have says I can enter some parameters instead of booting off hda1

Phil21

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
heheh..

Boot via the bootdisk. You'll also need a rootdisk. Boot into the setup menu, or whatever the heck mandrake has. Exit it somehow (possible alt+f2?) so you get a prompt. Mount your /etc partition (or /, or wherever /etc is on) via mount /dev/hda1 /mnt (change hda1 to your hard drive/partition).

now comes the tricky part. I'm going to take a passwd string from my box to give you.

root:$1$0edUulDr$D3A8lHrBG6PZE18D58gkX.:11411:0:::::

that line should work to replace your current line in /etc/passwd for root. But, this assumes you have support for md5 passwd's (you probably do, I'd guess). This password is temp ("temp").

you would edit /mnt/etc/shadow to change that.

If that's above your head.. You can also try to use chroot. This is a lot more tricky. If you have your entire / on one drive, it's pretty easy though. (if you have /bin /etc on one drive that is) Just do a chroot /mnt passwd and it should change the password for you. But, this assumes your entire directoy tree off your hard drive is mounted in /mnt.

*shrug* hope that helps a bit. :p

-Phil

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
lol anytime, if you didn't use lilo or had it password protected and forgot the pass or something then you can use the other methods, but I think this one is simpler ;)