Question Forgot password for windows 10

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I feel stupid for this but I goofed and locked myself out of windows 10. I completely forgot the pass for windows 10, normally I write passwords down but must of forgot to write this one down. I been using the netplwiz command to avoid entering the pass everytime, for some reason I turned it off not realizing I didn't know what the pass was. Now I can't get back into windows. It has a hint but still can't figure it out. Tried doing a reset password but it asks for removable media, I never made a reset disk for this. I am pretty sure this is a local admin account and not a microsoft account.

Short of reinstalling windows, is there a way to get past this? I booted to windows 10 usb drive and I tried doing a startup repair, not sure if that would help or not but it says it can't do a repair and gives me a name of a log file. Would a system restore help any? I talked to a local computer store and he said something about enabling a hidden admin account through cmd prompt but couldn't recall the exact command to enter.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
If you have an online account, the best you can do is to access your files with the admin account, but you can't alter the password afaik. If it's a local account, you can alter the password. The tool that is typically used to enable the admin acct and/or blank user passwords is a utility called chntpw or nt_password run from a live Linux distro. It's been a long time since I used it but they are out there on the Internet.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I took it to a local computer store and he removed the password. He booted into his ssd drive with windows that had a program on there that was able to remove it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
There are specialized software suites and recovery environments that can be used to reset passwords on local accounts, though I try to avoid using them.