Forgive me.. 2.4c and xp1700 overlocking guides?

BeyondX

Jun 27, 2003
Ive gone back about 4 pages in this forum and my eyes are bleeding :p but i havent found any info on how to actually overclock an Intel 2.4c
My Intel isnt a gaming machine so im not expecting it to go very high (pc2700 ram, msi motherboard, standard cooling...) but its still worth a try to squeeze some mhz out of it.
Just need to know which settings are safe to play with before i blow it up~

And since im in the mood, i kind of want to beef up my xp1700 too, hehe

I havent overclocked cpus since the good ole Celery 300 days :>

Cheers

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Welcome to the forum, BeyondX. :) Intel CPUs require you to change the FSB speed, as they are all multiplier locked (just like the 300a)! You may have to fiddle with the memory ratio as your PC2700 may limit you. Most intel chips can be clocked relatively high with the default voltage and default cooler, so you're in luck.

Depending on the motherboard you have for your 1700+ you can likely adjust the multiplier and fsb speeds (if it's a recent NForce2 mb). The AGP and PCI buses are locked at default clock, which is nice.

Personally I would test your memory first to see what FSB it's capable of running. Adjust the FSB up and the multiplier down to reach a speed close to default on your CPU. Use memtest86 for at least 6-8 hours. If it passes, turn it up more! You may try relaxing the timings on your memory to get a higher FSB. A higher FSB has proven to be more important than very aggressive RAM timing. 2.7v isn't unheard of when clocking your memory (default is 2.5v).

After you've reached the limit of your memory, turn up the multiplier on the cpu until you reach a "wall" @ default voltage where it is no longer stable - use Prime95 and/or your favority distributed computing program to test for stability. Try to keep temperatures below 60 under full load. After you've reached the "wall" @ default voltage, turn up the voltage - as high as 1.8v and see where you reach the limit of the cpu running @ a stable speed.

There is a lot more information on overclocking, but this should get you going.

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
so im not expecting it to go very high (pc2700 ram, msi motherboard, standard cooling...)

As well you shouldnt be expecting anything with a MSI mobo,Msi mobo is pretty much crap when it comes to overclocking.