Forget Christmas in July

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Stuff like that is weird. I don't know enough about plants to speculate on the strategy, but blooming one day a year, or even less in some cases seems wildly impractical, though it obviously works. What pollinates it?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey, that's really neat. I agree with @lxskllr , it is rather weird, but still pretty neat.

They say the Cicadas are coming out this year, after 17 years in the ground. How does THAT work? :p

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Stuff like that is weird. I don't know enough about plants to speculate on the strategy, but blooming one day a year, or even less in some cases seems wildly impractical, though it obviously works. What pollinates it?
reproduction (flowering in this case) takes a huge amount of energy, especially for a plant that lives in a harsh environment where conserving everything is a priority. Synchronizing the flowering allows the greatest chance of pollination and successful seed production.

Pollination done at night is usually by moths or bats depending on the strategy involved in that particular area.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Hey, that's really neat. I agree with @lxskllr , it is rather weird, but still pretty neat.

They say the Cicadas are coming out this year, after 17 years in the ground. How does THAT work? :p
It takes some cicadas around 17 years to complete the larval stage. Also understand that this is staggered so that every year cicadas emerge and this year means there will be a bumper crop. It happens and there are videos of it on youtube.

found this:

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The main pollinator is the white-lined sphinx moth though other moths may pollinate it as well. I don’t know if bats do or not. The flowers don’t produce much nectar.

Reactions: lxskllr