Foreigners Face Saudi Lashing for Party

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
While I think people should follow the laws of the country they visit, the country should also be understanding...I'm guessing some of those foreigners didn't know it was illegal..and lashings because of it? Jeeze. Maybe a friggin fine would do.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
There's a reason the phrase "When in Saudi, do as the Romans do" has never quite taken off.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
What I think of their laws aside, you have to respect another country's laws when you willingly visit that country.

Agreed. I find it doubtful that anyone who lives there for long enough to be throwing parties is unaware of their laws. The religous police roam the streets, it's not like they dug up some obscure law just to get the foreigners.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..this will be a regular event when Islam takes over. You guys need to get used to this.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: jpeyton
What I think of their laws aside, you have to respect another country's laws when you willingly visit that country.

not so much respect the other country's law, but you definitely should abide by them.

I do not respect such idiocy.

I'm not sure if its idiocy or just ignorance. Nothing about that party would have even gotten you arrested in the civilized world. Let alone jailed & flogged.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004

An unjust law can always be justly broken. However, you have to be willing to accept the consequences of getting caught and punished.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Chryso
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Well, there's one place I'll never visit during my lifetime. Man, talk about draconian laws...:roll:

Maybe, but you can get cheap gas for your truck.

I don't have a truck.

Just what kind of terrorist are you? :confused:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
I'm glad we keep the royal family in power there... :roll:

You are clueless, aren't you? This has nothing to do with the ruling party, it's their religion. While often it may seem like a government is a religion and vice versa, people are more willing to rebel against their government rather than their religion.