Foreigners Face Saudi Lashing for Party

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Foreigners Face Saudi Lashing for Party
AP
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (Feb. 4) - A Saudi Arabian judge sentenced 20 foreigners to receive lashes and spend several months in prison after convicting them of attending a party where alcohol was served and men and women danced, a newspaper reported Sunday.

The defendants were among 433 foreigners, including some 240 women, arrested by the kingdom's religious police for attending the party in Jiddah, the state-guided newspaper Okaz said. It did not identify the foreigners, give their nationalities or say when the party took place.

Judge Saud al-Boushi sentenced the 20 to prison terms of three to four months and ordered them to receive an unspecified number of lashes, the newspaper said. They have the right to appeal, it added.

The prosecutor general charged the 20 with "drinking, arranging for impudent party, mixed dancing and shooting a video for the party," Okaz said.

The paper said the rest of those arrested were awaiting trial.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which it bans alcohol and meetings between unrelated men and women.

The religious police, a force resented by many Saudis for interfering in personal lives, enjoys wide powers. Its officers roam malls, markets, universities and other public places looking for such infractions as unrelated men and women mingling, men skipping Islam's five daily prayers and women with strands of hair showing from under their veil.

In May, the Interior Ministry restricted the powers of the religious police to just arresting suspects, because the police sometimes had held people incommunicado and insisted on taking part in ensuing investigations.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
So I guess I'll have to wait a while longer for the release of Girls Gone Wild: Riyadh?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: rivan
So I guess I'll have to wait a while longer for the release of Girls Gone Wild: Riyadh?

They already have it. Girls lift their veils and flash some ankle. It's hot!

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
What I think of their laws aside, you have to respect another country's laws when you willingly visit that country.

lobbyone

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: rivan

They already have it. Girls lift their veils and flash some ankle. It's hot!
oooh ankle flashes!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, there's one place I'll never visit during my lifetime. Man, talk about draconian laws...:roll:

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Well, there's one place I'll never visit during my lifetime. Man, talk about draconian laws...:roll:

Maybe, but you can get cheap gas for your truck.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Chryso
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Maybe, but you can get cheap gas for your truck.

I don't have a truck.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
The religious police, a force resented by many Saudis for interfering in personal lives, enjoys wide powers. Its officers roam malls, markets, universities and other public places looking for such infractions as unrelated men and women mingling, men skipping Islam's five daily prayers and women with strands of hair showing from under their veil.

:shocked:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
What I think of their laws aside, you have to respect another country's laws when you willingly visit that country.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: BigJ

not so much respect the other country's law, but you definitely should abide by them.

I do not respect such idiocy.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I agree JulesMaximus; I never want to go there.

Think also about Radical Islam's ultimate goal: The entire world under Islamic Sharia rule. I imagine it would be a lot like Saudi Arabia in the social aspect.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Jerry Falwell, Orel Roberts and his son Anal and Pat Robertson are jealous.