Ford to Move All Small-Car Production to Mexico From U.S., Announces CEO

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Service is probably done by robot manufacturer, which is likely based in the US or EU, not $3/hr line workers.

It's a personal preference, but most Americans don't care or prefer the cheaper option. Especially the ones in the lower end of the market, for whom a few thousand extra is a big deal.

You mean the basket of deplorables right? you'd think someone by now would do a study on how much it would really add to the cost...I remember with the iphone it was like what? $40 total to keep production mostly in country.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
1. They are not "our" drugs, since most of "our" pharmaceutical companies have inverted to EU, transferred the IP there, and book their profits there to dodge US taxes, while fleecing US taxpayer. They are foreign companies ripping Americans off.
Ford does not care about PhRMA propaganda that we need to keep allowing drug companies to fleece us to incentive them to come up with new ways to fleece us. Republican base dupes may fall for it, Ford has accountants. They just care how much it costs them. And what they see....
It's a personal preference, but most Americans don't care or prefer the cheaper option. Especially the ones in the lower end of the market, for whom a few thousand extra is a big deal.

Yours is a very interesting argument for (in part) why this is happening.
I'm not seeing any flaws in your cost attribution via health care.

Art&Science

Nov 28, 2014
Why don't you just admit that I'm right? Tariffs and other protectionist policies will increase prices. And if the manufacturers ever do come back, the jobs will done by robots, not American workers.
But higher prices are just the tip of the iceberg. What do you think China, Japan, etc are going to do with all those US bonds they're holding once the trade wars start? Dump em and watch our interest rates soar.
Hello, stagflation.

You sound like a free market republican to me... are you supporting this just because the Obama Administration is? Because these types of trade deals are not something liberal or centrist leaning people generally support... it sounds like you're flip flopping simply to fall in line.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Six Sigma lean manufacturing emphasizes increasing efficiency and quality while reducing costs. Replacing workers with automation will continue in the manufacturing sector as companies seek to reduce their overall production costs to fatten the bottom line while decreasing manufacturing costs to compete with low cost 3rd world manufacturers. This is free trade in action and like it or not until fair trade laws are enacted this will continue to be the case for us.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You mean the basket of deplorables right? you'd think someone by now would do a study on how much it would really add to the cost...I remember with the iphone it was like what? $40 total to keep production mostly in country.
It's not a political issue. It's about how much car I can get for my money. I have car made in Japan, and car made in US. It's something I found out later, not something I even inquired about when I bought it. It was not even on the radar for me. I am not one of those people who wants a foreign made car or a domestic made car. It's all about best car for my money.
There is no such thing as being paid for by the government, when will you understand this?
We pay for everything.
We pay more for everything because we are OK with it. Other countries pay less, because they demand it.
Automakers can pick where to put a plant, and smart ones are putting them where they aren't being ripped off. What you pay or don't pay for is of no interest to them.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You sound like a free market republican to me... are you supporting this just because the Obama Administration is? Because these types of trade deals are not something liberal or centrist leaning people generally support... it sounds like you're flip flopping simply to fall in line.
I have always supported free markets. It's Republicans who don't believe in free markets anymore.