Ford strives to give SVT models upscale image

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ajpa123
Hey all,

We have all read the threads about how Ford is lagging behind the other major auto producers.

I jus't can't believe they haven't been producing any exciting mainstream over the last decade.

The focus is actually nice, but other than that, the contour is bland, mustang is a niche vehicle and basically Ford is all about trucks. They messed up the Taurus SHO by making it all curvy and only automatic-transmission.
Lincoln has some nice stuff.. but it's for people over 35ish i think.
Mercury is for old timers... mostly

Then ford wants to introduce the GT 40 for about $80,000, to introduce some excitement to its dealerships at an affordble price (what the Viper did for Chrysler), but now its gonna be well over $100,000. What are they thinking?

I know ford owns Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Mazda and others which all are doing well.. I just am unhappy that Ford's image as a individual car manufacturing is not looking so good.. to me anywayz.

Hope they seriously pick things up!
Let's hope the SVT models do just that !
AJ.

GT, not GT40. Price around $150K. It's supposed to compete with the 360 and GT2/3. Limited production. Almost a supercar/exotic, if you can call it that. It has always been aimed at that niche.

Nothing exciting? F150 Lightning? (Gen1 or 2) 390hp supercharged Mustang Cobra? Hell the 93 Mustang Cobra? Cobra R? It's hard to make an exciting vehicle that's practical and will sell well.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rent
Originally posted by: Mwilding
My SVT's value hasn't plummeted at all. It's only about $700 less than when I bought it.

And what did you buy it at?

The truth is CSVTs were worth 15-16k 3 years ago. Now you can find them for 8k-9k. Hell, there's a '00 in my area going for 9k.
I have a 98 w/ 50000 miles on it. According to Edmund it is worth $9200 private party sale

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
SVT Focus. That always makes me laugh. No focus on earth deserves to share the same badge as the Lightning and Cobra.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
SVT Focus. That always makes me laugh. No focus on earth deserves to share the same badge as the Lightning and Cobra.

rolleye.gif

I guess you feel the same way about the SVT Contour too?

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: geno

rolleye.gif

Never seen one. But Contours don't look as silly as Focus' do.

Anyway, as per Ford's SVT website:
'00 Contour SVT 0-60 in 7.6, top speed 143
'02 and '03 Focus SVT's are N/A in both those measurements. Apparently, they suck :p

Looking over the other numbers, the Contour is clearly built on a stronger engine, and everything else looks similar.

Contour = acceptable.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
As for bringing the Focus RS to the States... isn't the SVT Focus already 18k? I remember reading that the RS costs somewhere between 22-25k, that's a tough price to swallow when you could very well buy a WRX or a Neon SRT for that price or less...

I'd love to see the RS make it here, I'm just not sure how well it'd fit into the US market...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: geno

rolleye.gif

Never seen one. But Contours don't look as silly as Focus' do. (Is the Contour even a current model? Ford has no mention of it on their website)

It's an older model, just your average econo car, then SVT slapped a nice motor and a good suspension in it and labeled it with an SVT badge. Point is, it's still a well performing car even if it's "just" a Contour, or "just" an SVT. It might not have a blown V8 in it, but it still follows the same spirit that allowed the Lightnings to be born, just on a smaller scale, no reason to look down on it IMO