Ford strives to give SVT models upscale image

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Ford strives to give SVT models upscale image

By Rick Kranz
Automotive News / December 08, 2003

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will take its SVT high-performance brand upscale and drop the SVT Focus.

The demise of the SVT Focus is part of Ford Motor's revision of its performance strategy. The company will create a performance series for the Ford brand and likely will add a high-performance Lincoln SUV and a supercharged Mercury sedan.

"I want to see product and performance across the range," said Phil Martens, group vice president of product creation for North America, at a press event here last month.

SVT stands for Special Vehicle Team.

The Ford Performance Group, formed in September 2002, is directing the strategy. The group develops performance vehicles and handles performance parts and services for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.

Martens said the group will concentrate on three vehicle types beginning in the 2005 model year.

1. High-end vehicles, including the two-passenger 2005 Ford GT and the Ford brand's limited-edition SVT models.

2. Turbocharged and supercharged vehicles.

3. Mainstream performance, including the new ST label for the Ford brand's high-volume performance vehicles below SVT.

With the SVT brand going to a more premium position, the low-end Focus no longer fits. Production of the 2004 SVT Focus will end in the spring. Ford sells about 5,500 SVT Focus models annually.

Moving upmarket

"We are moving SVT upmarket in terms of performance, content, craftsmanship," said Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager. "And obviously, going along with that will be price."

The three-door 2004 SVT Focus has a $19,205 sticker price, including $545 destination. The five-door is $19,705 with destination.

The two other vehicles in the SVT line, the SVT Lightning and the Mustang SVT Cobra, also end production in the spring, leaving dealers with an 18-month gap until new models arrive.

The next-generation SVT Lightning, based on the F-150 pickup, will go into production in late 2005 or early 2006. That will be followed by the next SVT Cobra, which will be based on the redesigned Mustang.

Ford Division is creating high-performance models by using previous-generation SVT engines. For example, the Mustang Mach 1 is equipped with the previous-generation Cobra V-8. The Lightning V-8 also is used in the Harley-Davidson Edition F-150.

John Coletti, director of Ford Special Vehicle Team Programs, wants to do the same thing at Lincoln Mercury.

Coletti said 65 percent of the cost of developing an SVT vehicle is the powertrain - emissions, packaging, hardware and other considerations.

"We are being forced to go up to a much higher level, and what is left behind is a boost for the mainstream products," Coletti said. "It makes sense to trickle that stuff down."

Supercharged Navigator

The Ford Performance Group has developed a 2004 Lincoln Navigator equipped with the supercharged 380-hp SVT Lightning V-8, although no decision has been made on production.

Turbocharging and supercharging also are expected to have a wider role in the automaker's powertrains.

A turbocharged 200-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine soon will be approved for the 2005 or 2006 Focus. If produced, it would be a mass-market engine, available to all Ford dealers. The SVT Focus is available only to qualified SVT dealerships.

A supercharged Mercury Marauder also is under consideration.

With the decision to drop the SVT Focus, Focus owners are being targeted with performance parts and accessories authorized by the Ford Performance Group.

The Ford brand will use the ST designation for a range of high-volume performance vehicles with horsepower and suspension and enhancements. The first Ford to carry that badge will be the 2005 Focus ST, a sedan with a 150-hp, 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine.

Martens said the ST designation will be used where appropriate. The mid-sized Futura sedan, due in 2005, is a likely candidate, possibly with all-wheel drive. He said the Taurus is not a candidate.

Don't have a link to the site because it requires a paid subscription I think. The turbo Focus sounds exciting but might be too little too late - sounds like they're trying to get into the SRT4's sales. If they gave it AWD like the RS Concept (IIRC, the actual RS was not AWD) it'd be a mean pocket rocket.

A supercharged Navi would be idiotic to say the least. The 32v 5.4 is known for being a power slut - people have gotten massive amounts of power out of it, more so than the 2v 5.4. I guess it would be less work and development since it's a proven engine and has a huge fanbase based off the Lightning community but that just seems like an iffy idea.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
It still ticks me off to no end that Ford never made a SVT version of the Merc Cougar... all they had to do was up the HP and fix the dang torque steer problem and it would of been one heck of a car....

CrackRabbit

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
It still ticks me off to no end that Ford never made a SVT version of the Merc Cougar... all they had to do was up the HP and fix the dang torque steer problem and it would of been one heck of a car....

CrackRabbit

That's one of the things they're trying to correct now - giving the Merc and Lincoln lineups some fresh power additions. The Cougar was a horrible seller anyway, probably wouldn't have sold that well.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
hmmm, I woonder if this will have a positive impact on my SVT's resale...

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding

I highly doubt it :p

Its about freaking time Ford started bringing some of the turbo stuff stateside :| I'd kill for a Focus RS over here. I wouldn't mind getting a SVT Focus if they didn't have clutch problems :(

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: JBT
pics or ban

Pics of what, dipsh!t?
rolleye.gif

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rent

Its about freaking time Ford started bringing some of the turbo stuff stateside :| I'd kill for a Focus RS over here. I wouldn't mind getting a SVT Focus if they didn't have clutch problems :(
Well, it's a contour not a focus...

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

CrackRabbit

That's one of the things they're trying to correct now - giving the Merc and Lincoln lineups some fresh power additions. The Cougar was a horrible seller anyway, probably wouldn't have sold that well.

Quite True... but its still sad that they killed it taking away the only unique thing the Mercury devision had going for it. And as far as i know they arent going to replace it until 2006-7, and then its suposedly going to be a mustang clone.

CrackRabbit Who Misses his former Cougar....

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

I concur. The SVT nameplate is going away for about 18 months anyway. There supposedly are some good deals going on with SVT Focus' though. You might as well put in a performance clutch in there anyway :)

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
they might get it right one day.

with GT40 trying to lead American sports car, it is possible.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

CrackRabbit

Quite True... but its still sad that they killed it taking away the only unique thing the Mercury devision had going for it. And as far as i know they arent going to replace it until 2006-7, and then its suposedly going to be a mustang clone.

CrackRabbit Who Misses his former Cougar....

You're right - the one bad thing about Mercury is that it's the middle kid - not the high end lineup like Lincoln, not the average joe lineup like Ford. It's just fvcked so to speak. The Marauder was pretty cool though, just weak. A Cougar clone would be kind of cool though.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

Well, it's a contour not a focus...

I know :p CSVTs value will just continue to plummet :( Very few people love them. If they were easier to work on, it might be a different story, but its not :(

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Cyberian
Doesn't Ford already have SVO and SHO performance 'divisions'?

SHO was the performance moniker for the Taurus. SVO stood for Special Vehicle Operations, which I think merged sometime with SVE to become SVT. (I forgot the exact story behind it, let me dig it up)

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

SHO wasn't ever a performance division. SVO was Fords face for its aftermarket which hasn't done too well.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
My SVT's value hasn't plummeted at all. It's only about $700 less than when I bought it.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Ok: SVO originally created in 1981, eventually became what is now known as Ford Racing Performance. (Used to be Ford Motorsport) SVT created in 1991 and is two groups: SVT and SVE

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
My SVT's value hasn't plummeted at all. It's only about $700 less than when I bought it.

And what did you buy it at?

The truth is CSVTs were worth 15-16k 3 years ago. Now you can find them for 8k-9k. Hell, there's a '00 in my area going for 9k.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Hey all,

We have all read the threads about how Ford is lagging behind the other major auto producers.

I jus't can't believe they haven't been producing any exciting mainstream over the last decade.

The focus is actually nice, but other than that, the contour is bland, mustang is a niche vehicle and basically Ford is all about trucks. They messed up the Taurus SHO by making it all curvy and only automatic-transmission.
Lincoln has some nice stuff.. but it's for people over 35ish i think.
Mercury is for old timers... mostly

Then ford wants to introduce the GT 40 for about $80,000, to introduce some excitement to its dealerships at an affordble price (what the Viper did for Chrysler), but now its gonna be well over $100,000. What are they thinking?

I know ford owns Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Mazda and others which all are doing well.. I just am unhappy that Ford's image as a individual car manufacturing is not looking so good.. to me anywayz.

Hope they seriously pick things up!
Let's hope the SVT models do just that !
AJ.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

SHO wasn't ever a performance division. SVO was Fords face for its aftermarket which hasn't done too well.
OK - Wasn't there a 4-cyl. SVO Mustang for a while?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

OK - Wasn't there a 4-cyl. SVO Mustang for a while?

1984, turbo'ed.

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
There was another thread about dropping the SVT Focus a while ago... Ford's still going to have a "street" version of the Focus, it just won't carry the SVT name... mainly a marketing move on Ford's part

ASK THE COMMUNITY