Ford Maverick

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think reusing the Maverick name was stupid...but don't really care. I'm not a "city-dweller," so having a small pickup doesn't appeal to me, I have a 2019 F150 SuperCrew cab Lariat with a 6.5' bed, 3.5l twin turbo EcoBoost engine, 10 speed transmission. It's NOT a work truck, it's an open bed SUV that primarily hauls me, my wife, and, now, our puppy...HOWEVER, if I need to haul stuff...and I often do, I have plenty of pickup bed to do it...and it's rated to tow over 10,000 lbs. (I've pulled a few Uhaul trailers loaded with stuff that wouldn't fit in the bed)
I WILL look seriously at the F150 Lightning once they get into full production...but history has taught me, NEVER buy the first model year of a new vehicle model. Too many bugs that have to be worked out.

Reactions: mindless1

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I think reusing the Maverick name was stupid...but don't really care. I'm not a "city-dweller," so having a small pickup doesn't appeal to me, I have a 2019 F150 SuperCrew cab Lariat with a 6.5' bed, 3.5l twin turbo EcoBoost engine, 10 speed transmission. It's NOT a work truck, it's an open bed SUV that primarily hauls me, my wife, and, now, our puppy...HOWEVER, if I need to haul stuff...and I often do, I have plenty of pickup bed to do it...and it's rated to tow over 10,000 lbs. (I've pulled a few Uhaul trailers loaded with stuff that wouldn't fit in the bed)
I WILL look seriously at the F150 Lightning once they get into full production...but history has taught me, NEVER buy the first model year of a new vehicle model. Too many bugs that have to be worked out.
Then you are obviously not the target buyer for this new truck. I don't need a truck as big as yours nor would I want one. Just to massive and not very efficient. The thought of two people and a puppy driving around in a truck like yours to make trips to Wally World makes me chuckle.

As far as not buying a first model year vehicle because of "bugs" that's not really true either. Back in 2008 we purchased a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and while it did have a few recalls everything was covered under warranty. After the warranty was up we've had no issues outside of just general maintenance.

I know anecdotal but a quick google search suggest buying a first model year vehicle isn't as "buggy" as it used to be. Besides it's not like Fords C2 platform hasn't been around for awhile and proven itself to be reliable.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Then you are obviously not the target buyer for this new truck. I don't need a truck as big as yours nor would I want one. Just to massive and not very efficient. The thought of two people and a puppy driving around in a truck like yours to make trips to Wally World makes me chuckle.

As far as not buying a first model year vehicle because of "bugs" that's not really true either. Back in 2008 we purchased a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and while it did have a few recalls everything was covered under warranty. After the warranty was up we've had no issues outside of just general maintenance.

I know anecdotal but a quick google search suggest buying a first model year vehicle isn't as "buggy" as it used to be. Besides it's not like Fords C2 platform hasn't been around for awhile and proven itself to be reliable.

We actually considered the Maverick when they first started talking about it. While I'm not all that tall, I have a difficult time fitting in smaller vehicles without hitting my head on the roof liner...and with my fucked up back, I have a tough time getting in the door. I was looking at the Ford Rangers a few years back...couldn't get in the door easily...and when I did get in...my head rubbed on the roof.
MAYBE the Maverick will be different. I know we had a Ford C-Max for a couple of years and didn't have those issues.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
We actually considered the Maverick when they first started talking about it. While I'm not all that tall, I have a difficult time fitting in smaller vehicles without hitting my head on the roof liner...and with my fucked up back, I have a tough time getting in the door. I was looking at the Ford Rangers a few years back...couldn't get in the door easily...and when I did get in...my head rubbed on the roof.
MAYBE the Maverick will be different. I know we had a Ford C-Max for a couple of years and didn't have those issues.

Ranger comparison review:

Sup all. Long post alert. But if you’re interested in my situation, you’ll read it.

5G Ranger vs Maverick real world review:

So I just traded my 21 Ranger XLT FX4 with 5K miles for my 22 Mav XLT AWD. Haven’t had it long but I wanted to give my perspective of one versus the other. It’s going to seem like I’m bashing the Ranger. I’m not. I liked the Ranger and if you get into any hardcore off-roading or tow more than about 3500 pounds regularly, the Ranger might be a better vehicle for you. But I’m loving the Mav. Here’s why in no particular order. Some of these are subjective and personal…some are not.

The Mav is a good bit smaller externally but pretty much the same inside. It actually feels more open and roomy probably because of the lack of a shifter impeding in the center and the more upright design of the top portion of the cab as compared to the Ranger. The Ecoboost Mav has 2.4” more rear legroom than the Ranger and this is noticeable.

The rear windows roll all the way down into the door. Small praise I know but the Ranger having 2-3” of glass sticking up was annoying to rear passengers.

There is useable storage under the rear seats. Storage under the rear seats in the Ranger is laughable.

Ride height is more user friendly. I’m young (ok, middle aged) and can get in and out of the Ranger fine. But it’s easier to get in and out of the Mav, easier to reach stuff in the bed, and easier to load/unload stuff.

Ride quality is much improved. I expected the unibody Mav to ride better but some commented that it still rides like a truck. Ehhhh, kinda. It rides like an SUV. In fact, it rides a lot like my wife’s 19 Highlander…a good blend of sporty and comfortable. The Ranger rode okay. It wasn’t terrible but you always knew you were in a leaf sprung pickup. You will notice an improvement from the Ranger to the Mav.

Related to ride quality is handling. I haven’t beat on it (it’s got like 50 miles on it) but the Mav handles curves and corners better. Its lower center of gravity really help it feel planted for what it is. The Ranger had horrible bounce and body roll when new and stock. Eibach Pro 2.0s in the rear helped a lot of the body roll but the stock Mav still handles better than the Ranger with the Eibachs.

This is one of my big ones. The 8spd trans in the Mav is MUCH smoother than the Ranger’s 10spd. I’m not sure if it was because of the gear skipping or what but the Ranger trans rarely felt smooth. It often felt like it was hesitating or briefly hitting one gear before settling on the next one up. I am very impressed with the Mav’s 8spd. Again, I’d compare it to the smoothness of my wife’s Highlander which is high praise.

The Ranger also had a very subtle but very annoying shudder when accelerating from a stop. It is a very common problem and has been reported as a pinion angle issue. I think Ford has a “fix” but results seem to suggest that it’s unlikely their fix will actually solve the problem. This is very minor but also very irritating because it did it every single time. This, combined with the mildly jerky trans was unpleasant. None of this in the Mav.

I expect the Mav to get mildly better fuel economy. Ranger was showing 19.6 lifetime average with never anything but 93 octane. Not enough miles on the Mav to say but it hasn’t been above 55-60 yet and it’s showing 21+ with whatever the dealer filled it up with…I imagine 87 octane.
Doors shut more solid on the Mav. The Ranger doors always had this weird hollow sound to them.

The Mav is quieter overall. Road noise might be about the same. Hard to say. But engine noise from the 2.0 is definitely noticeably quieter than the 2.3 at idle and under acceleration and at speed.

Lastly, unless I think of something else, I think the Mav is just a better looking vehicle. I never cared for the sloping front end of the Ranger. This, along with the severe factory rake, make the Ranger very wedge shaped. The Mav is more squared off and aggressive. The front end does not slope down like the Ranger and it has much less rake. The Mav looks low and wide. The Ranger looks tall and skinny…and a little goofy, lol. I just think the Mav looks so much better.

That’s it for now unless I think of something I missed. Better pics to come later.

**Edit** Forgot to mention, this will be different for everyone but for me, trading the Ranger for the Mav cut over $6K off my vehicle loan.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Ranger comparison review:

That compares the newer gen of Ranger. I had more or less forgotten about those. Tried on one when I was at the dealer for an oil change. Wasn't comfortable for me. Before that, I had seriously considered a 2011. I could barely fit in the door. I think that was the last year of the last (3rd?) generation.
I liked the looks of the current model, but why switch from the nicest vehicle I've ever owned to one that's just a bit smaller...and with an upgraded trim package, only gets (at best) a tiny bit better gas mileage?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Looks like the Mav is crushing it with younger buyers and women. Some key points from the article include:

Ford says the 2022 Maverick – about the length of a Toyota full-size sedan but far cheaper – is already succeeding in attracting new, younger and female buyers to the company.

About a quarter of buyers are female compared to nearly 90% being male for the overall truck market, Ford said.

A quarter also are between the ages of 18 and 35 – double the industry average for that age group.

Last edited:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
The Maverick has been out one month and sold over 4,600 units. The Santa Cruz has been out since August and has only reached over 4,800 units. Ford just about sold 3x more Mavericks than Hyundai sold Santa Cruz vehicles in October. It seems like someone is finally selling to the younger market, and not just a rolling box with 0 features like the Toyota Yaris L and the GM Colorado/Canyon WT.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The Maverick has been out one month and sold over 4,600 units. The Santa Cruz has been out since August and has only reached over 4,800 units. Ford just about sold 3x more Mavericks than Hyundai sold Santa Cruz vehicles in October. It seems like someone is finally selling to the younger market, and not just a rolling box with 0 features like the Toyota Yaris L and the GM Colorado/Canyon WT.

I see the Maverick eventually replacing the Civic in popularity, due to the price, functionality, and MPG. Ford would do well to litter the countryside coast to coast with "40mph $19,995 truck with Carplay" because people still aren't aware that this truck exists!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I see the Maverick eventually replacing the Civic in popularity, due to the price, functionality, and MPG. Ford would do well to litter the countryside coast to coast with "40mph $19,995 truck with Carplay" because people still aren't aware that this truck exists!
Ford doesn't have to advertise the hybrid. It's already sold out for 2022 and won't be available again until pre ordering starts for the 2023 model year later next summer.

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6 and Kaido

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Edmunds, Maverick vs Santa Cruz. If you are looking for the more expensive Maverick with Turbo/AWD, it seems like the Santa Cruz might be the better option. I think the Maveric to get is the Hybrid with lower level trims, but no one seems to be testing that one.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
That compares the newer gen of Ranger. I had more or less forgotten about those. Tried on one when I was at the dealer for an oil change. Wasn't comfortable for me. Before that, I had seriously considered a 2011. I could barely fit in the door. I think that was the last year of the last (3rd?) generation.
I liked the looks of the current model, but why switch from the nicest vehicle I've ever owned to one that's just a bit smaller...and with an upgraded trim package, only gets (at best) a tiny bit better gas mileage?

Doug Demuro is 6'3 and one of the items he includes in his reviews is room. He had favorable things to say about the interior room.

Maverick is bigger inside vs the Ranger
Maverick has 110.3 cubic feet of passenger volume compared to 97.6 cubes with the Ranger SuperCrew.

For one, the Maverick’s rear bench seat manages to avoid the knees-up feel you get sitting in the Ranger. The Maverick’s rear seat also has a stadium-style design, which improves passenger visibility, but it doesn’t come at the expense of headroom thanks to a scalloped headliner section above the backseat. Legroom isn’t much different between the two trucks — my shins were touching the back of the driver’s seat in both — but the Maverick is more accommodating overall.

You’ll notice a slight difference in rear legroom between the Maverick and Ranger, but the Maverick wins this comparison. Where the Ranger maxes out at 34.5 inches, the Maverick offers a 36.9-inch maximum (or 35.9 inches with the Hybrid).
Once again, though, the Maverick has more space inside the cabin, beating the Ranger for second-row headroom by 1.3 inches.

Reactions: Elfear

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Edmunds, Maverick vs Santa Cruz. If you are looking for the more expensive Maverick with Turbo/AWD, it seems like the Santa Cruz might be the better option. I think the Maveric to get is the Hybrid with lower level trims, but no one seems to be testing that one.
The reason no one is testing the hybrid yet is because Ford has not released the OK To BUY yet to their dealers. State and Federal EPA numbers were the rumored reason as to why the release of the hybrid was delayed. Anyway, the official date for hybrids to start shipping in North America is December 8th.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The Maverick has been out one month and sold over 4,600 units. The Santa Cruz has been out since August and has only reached over 4,800 units. Ford just about sold 3x more Mavericks than Hyundai sold Santa Cruz vehicles in October.

Aren't those stats a little incomplete without production numbers? Theoretically, Hyundai may not be able to produce the Santa Cruz in the numbers needed to attain the same sales numbers as Ford.

-kp

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Aren't those stats a little incomplete without production numbers? Theoretically, Hyundai may not be able to produce the Santa Cruz in the numbers needed to attain the same sales numbers as Ford.

-kp
No, the sales are what the sales are. Money exchanged is the only thing that counts as a sale, promises of a reservation and then not being able to fulfill it until well in the future are not actual revenue. Both companies are sitting on stacks of reservations, but mindshare matters, and at this point you'll see as many Mavericks on the road as Santa Cruz vehicles simply because Ford is getting them out sooner. If Hyundai wants to sell more, they will have to up production, if that's the issue.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Well, if Mercury was still a brand, they could’ve reused the Mercury Vomit….errrr, Comet’s name for the Mercury version. Guess we’ll be spared that indignity for now.

• Haha
Reactions: esquared

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The reason no one is testing the hybrid yet is because Ford has not released the OK To BUY yet to their dealers. State and Federal EPA numbers were the rumored reason as to why the release of the hybrid was delayed. Anyway, the official date for hybrids to start shipping in North America is December 8th.
I've seen a couple listed on various dealer's websites...Mostly the XL version though. I want a nicer trim level than that. here's a couple of hybrids in the XLT trim level:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I've seen a couple listed on various dealer's websites...Mostly the XL version though. I want a nicer trim level than that. here's a couple of hybrids in the XLT trim level:

Yeah those listings are a little deceiving. All they are is the dealer selling them has received a VIN so therefore they can list the vehicle with stock images and if someone is interested they can sign some paperwork and either purchase it or put a hold on it.

Trust me I hang out on https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/ and the hybrid guys over there are losing their shit with Ford because the hybrid was pushed back until December.

Now I think over the last week or so some media outlets have finally been able to drive the hybrid but they won't start actually shipping to customers until early December.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah those listings are a little deceiving. All they are is the dealer selling them has received a VIN so therefore they can list the vehicle with stock images and if someone is interested they can sign some paperwork and either purchase it or put a hold on it.

Trust me I hang out on https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/ and the hybrid guys over there are losing their shit with Ford because the hybrid was pushed back until December.

Now I think over the last week or so some media outlets have finally been able to drive the hybrid but they won't start actually shipping to customers until early December.

yup...I think we're going with an F150 hybrid 4x4.

Crap. Just talked to our normal salesman at the Ford dealer we do business with. Hybrid orders are a minimum of 4-6 months lead time...for the F150 as well as the Maverick.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
TFL Truck just did a torture test on the Hybrid they have. They went up in the mountains and hauled back some firewood all while being 200 pounds over max payload! Pretty impressive considering the hybrid is only 190 hp and front wheel drive only and was NEVER meant for this kind of work.

Reactions: Elfear