Ford Maverick

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
No, when I say my Maverick it's really for my wife to replace her aging 2009 Pontiac Vibe. So since it will be her vehicle she obviously had some say in the features. She wanted AWD and the 4K tow package so that instantly counted out the hybrid.

Here is a copy and paste of my sig from the mav forums. It's all the options we have on order for her new Maverick.

2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 in Oxford White. Options are: AWD, XLT Luxury package, 4K tow package, Co-Pilot 360, and rear window.

Reactions: Elfear and Kaido

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Aww I was hoping hybrids weren’t shipping. This is looking like my next daily…

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Aww I was hoping hybrids weren’t shipping. This is looking like my next daily…
Hybrids are shipping! Check out these threads posted by people who have already received their hybrid Mavericks. Unfortunately you missed the boat for MY22 Maverick Hybrid orders though. Ford closed the ordering for hybrids in mid November.

Who knows though you might be able to find a dealer stock one on the lot but expect a $3-7K market adjustment over MSRP. The Mav hybrids are hot right now and dealers are charging appropriately for them.

Anyway, here are a few posts made by Maverick hybrid owners.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Another positive review of the Mav! No surprise though with the exception of a few outliers the Mav has enjoyed very positive reviews from the media. Everyone who spends any time with this little truck is thoroughly impressed by it and the hybrid is no exception.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I recently bought a 22 Frontier King Cab because I wanted the longer bed for my motorcycles. I really wish Ford made this in that configuration because it would be perfect as a daily driver. The 22 Frontier is actually bigger than the model it replaced and it rides harsher and more like a big truck. If Nissan had made it more like the Maverick I think they would have captured a segment that Ford realized has been ignored.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Harder to build a shorter cab, long box Maverick because it's Unibody, and an open box doesn't offer much structural support.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Harder to build a shorter cab, long box Maverick because it's Unibody, and an open box doesn't offer much structural support.
Yeah I agree. It just wouldn't work on a unibody frame like the C2 platform. In all honestly though if you are looking to put full sized motorcycles in the back of a truck the Ranger or F150 is a much better option.
The Maverick was never intended for work like that and while it could probably do it with some modifications the trucks I mentioned would be a better fit.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Nice... I'm thinking of selling my Frontier and getting a Maverick. Is yours a hybrid or 2.0? I kinda want the hybrid for fuel economy but I need to haul motorcycles occasionally and sometimes a trailer. Is there a big difference in payload and towing?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Nice... I'm thinking of selling my Frontier and getting a Maverick. Is yours a hybrid or 2.0? I kinda want the hybrid for fuel economy but I need to haul motorcycles occasionally and sometimes a trailer. Is there a big difference in payload and towing?

If I got one, I'd want the AWD model so it will handle in the snow. You can't get the AWD model with a hybrid engine, though.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

No, when I say my Maverick it's really for my wife to replace her aging 2009 Pontiac Vibe. So since it will be her vehicle she obviously had some say in the features. She wanted AWD and the 4K tow package so that instantly counted out the hybrid.

Here is a copy and paste of my sig from the mav forums. It's all the options we have on order for her new Maverick.

2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 in Oxford White. Options are: AWD, XLT Luxury package, 4K tow package, Co-Pilot 360, and rear window.

Max payload on the Mav is 1500 pounds for both the Hybrid and 2.0 but keep in mind that also includes passengers. The bed is only 4.5 feet with the tailgate closed and 6 feet with it open so not sure how well motorcycles would work in the bed.
The Mav can tow up to 4000 pounds but that requires the 2.0 engine, AWD, and 4K tow package otherwise the towing capability is capped at 2000 pounds for the Hybrid and 2.0.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Test-drove the 2L Ecoboost today:

Cons:
  • Steering felt clunky. Very heavy. It's like it's pretending to be an F-150. I wish it had steering modes like my Mustang does (comfort, sport, etc.) to lighten it up. I just drove a new Nissan Rogue the other day, which is hilariously easy to turn, like a video game - that would have been nice to have that easy of steering in the Maverick! But I get it's supposed to be a "truck" and they want it to feel SOLID, man! Just a little overboard imo.
  • Engine made weird sounds. But it is a 2L in a unibody truck, so...
  • Soooo much road noise on the highway! It felt like as much as the soft-top Bronco 4-door! You could really hear the wheels (this one had steelies, maybe it's better on the bigger tires). On city roads, not an issue really.
  • Legroom is slightly box, but comfortable. No knee issues & plenty of upper-body space & headroom.
  • No stick-shift option :(
  • The interior door handle area is a bit weird, there's a big empty gap for "cool factor", but it's just strange lol.
Pros:
  • PLENTY of pep on the 2L! Zooms around just fine!
  • If you've driven a Tesla Model 3 & Model Y, the Maverick is like a Y as the 3 is to a Honda Civic. So it's like a base $20k vehicle, but sits up higher than a Civic, more room, etc.
  • The higher-end models now do have wireless Carplay in them.
  • Tailgate is super easy to operate & has a ton of options...flip-out gate extension, wheel well covers are flat for loading, tailgate latches at different angles, etc.
  • Sunroof YAY!
  • Backseat was surprisingly not awful, despite looking horrifically small. You'll want to move the front seats forward for some legroom, but I could fit in the back at 6' tall no problem.
  • The size is REALLY nice. It's sort of like a Subaru Forester, converted into truck. Didn't have Baja vibes tho haha.
  • The bed is great. It's at just the right height that it's easy to lift stuff over the lip & load the bed. No having to get a ladder for a giant lifted truck haha.
  • It drives very solid & planted. Great on the highway. That extended length (just shy of 200") feels great.
  • Easy to get into & out of. Reminds me of my old Kia Soul. Very easy entry & exit.
Starts at $20k, maxes out at around $35k. I don't know if this is worth over like $28k fully loaded. This is the perfect car for moms who want to do gardening, college kids who need to occasionally move stuff around, people who want to replace an old clunker, etc. 40MPG for $20k still blows my mind, I don't know how Ford did it lol. Really the only thing that bothered me was how heavy & strong the steering was, but I also leave my car on Comfort steering all the time, so I like it easy to turn. The road noise on the highway was a surprise, like I couldn't believe how noisy it was, as compared to other cars in the category, like the Civic, which are like virtually silent these days. And how noisy the engine was, very noticeable. But these are all fairly minor things that I think you'd get used to, and the interior noise could probably be fixed somewhat with like a Dynamat noise-proofing job.

So really the only things I would change are customizable steering modes & a lot of padding for the interior noise. Overall, it's an AMAZING vehicle for the price! They are going to sell a zillion of these. I think the more the word gets out as people see them on the streets & learn the pric,e the more people are going to want to buy them. Ford is really killing it lately!

Reactions: bbhaag

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000

Max payload on the Mav is 1500 pounds for both the Hybrid and 2.0 but keep in mind that also includes passengers. The bed is only 4.5 feet with the tailgate closed and 6 feet with it open so not sure how well motorcycles would work in the bed.
The Mav can tow up to 4000 pounds but that requires the 2.0 engine, AWD, and 4K tow package otherwise the towing capability is capped at 2000 pounds for the Hybrid and 2.0.
Does the XLT come with dual zone climate- or can you get it? I know that the Lariat does but that is one option I really want. Most of my bikes are smaller Japanese and euro vintage bikes, not stuff like Harleys or big cruisers. I think 6 ft is enough and I'm sure someone will make a bed extension/ramp since dirt bike guys would love the low TG height.

Nissan screwed up the new Frontier by making it 2 in higher, 4 in longer, much heavier steering and other "truckish" stuff but it has no more capability that the outgoing truck and costs about 5K more on average. Pretty crappy gas mileage too. I like mine OK but after living with it for a while, I'd prefer something smaller. Carvana will probably give me more than I paid for it too. Not sure how that business model works, but I guess it does...

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Does the XLT come with dual zone climate- or can you get it? I know that the Lariat does but that is one option I really want. Most of my bikes are smaller Japanese and euro vintage bikes, not stuff like Harleys or big cruisers. I think 6 ft is enough and I'm sure someone will make a bed extension/ramp since dirt bike guys would love the low TG height.

Nissan screwed up the new Frontier by making it 2 in higher, 4 in longer, much heavier steering and other "truckish" stuff but it has no more capability that the outgoing truck and costs about 5K more on average. Pretty crappy gas mileage too. I like mine OK but after living with it for a while, I'd prefer something smaller. Carvana will probably give me more than I paid for it too. Not sure how that business model works, but I guess it does...
Dual zone climate is only available on the Lariat. Smaller bikes might work ok in the bed with the tailgate down. I've seen some pics on the Mav forums of guys fitting a couple of smaller dirt bikes in the back with the tailgate down but it's a tight fit. If you are serious about putting your bikes in the back of a Mav I would research the shit out of the dimensions of the box on the Mav before you pull the trigger on one.

Also keep in mind that if you want a Hybrid they are sold out for model year 2022 so your only chance to get one is from dealer stock order. They are hot right now so expect to pay $5-7K over msrp for one. If you can wait until model year 2023 the order bank is rumored to open in August of next year. I would put your order in ASAP though. Ford under estimated the demand for the Hybrid and it is expected that the 2023 models will sell out as fast or faster than the 2022's did.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Well I didn't think it would happen this fast but I checked my email this morning and received my fourth and final communication email from Ford. That's right I got the "Shipped" email!!!!

Now we just wait. Personally I think Ford is being a little optimistic with the time frame on delivery but who knows.

shipped.png

• Wow
Reactions: spdfreak and Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Well I didn't think it would happen this fast but I checked my email this morning and received my fourth and final communication email from Ford. That's right I got the "Shipped" email!!!!

Now we just wait. Personally I think Ford is being a little optimistic with the time frame on delivery but who knows.

View attachment 55269

Wow, that's awesome! Previously the Kia Soul was my go-to recommendation for an econobox, but the Ford has really hit it out of the park with the Maverick. imo it's the new Honda Civic, but with more room inside & more functionality with the bed & whatnot. Plus they have camper shells now!

1640962979699.png

Reactions: ultimatebob

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Dual zone climate is only available on the Lariat. Smaller bikes might work ok in the bed with the tailgate down. I've seen some pics on the Mav forums of guys fitting a couple of smaller dirt bikes in the back with the tailgate down but it's a tight fit. If you are serious about putting your bikes in the back of a Mav I would research the shit out of the dimensions of the box on the Mav before you pull the trigger on one.

Also keep in mind that if you want a Hybrid they are sold out for model year 2022 so your only chance to get one is from dealer stock order. They are hot right now so expect to pay $5-7K over msrp for one. If you can wait until model year 2023 the order bank is rumored to open in August of next year. I would put your order in ASAP though. Ford under estimated the demand for the Hybrid and it is expected that the 2023 models will sell out as fast or faster than the 2022's did.
Local dealers here have stock on Hybrids. Lariats are easier to find since they are kinda expensive. They are going for MSRP as soon as they hit the lot but not 5-7K over. It's a regional thing, I think. The problem is finding a dealer that has one to actually look at and test drive. I generally hate CVT's but I haven't driven a Maverick, so it might be better.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Local dealers here have stock on Hybrids. Lariats are easier to find since they are kinda expensive. They are going for MSRP as soon as they hit the lot but not 5-7K over. It's a regional thing, I think. The problem is finding a dealer that has one to actually look at and test drive. I generally hate CVT's but I haven't driven a Maverick, so it might be better.

I'd be curious to drive the Hybrid model's e-CVT. The engine on the 8-speed auto on the 2L EB was surprisingly noisy! Wish they offered a stick shift haha. Bummer about now AWD on the Hybrid tho.