Ford, GM, Rivian, Volvo/Polestar, and MB customers gain access to Tesla Supercharger network. Stellantis and Hyundai also in talks with Telsa

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Here's a little bit of automotive news for everyone. Tesla and Ford announced today that they brokered a deal to allow Ford electric vehicles onto the Supercharger network starting in Spring of 2024. As a Mach-E GT owner I think this is awesome news.

Thread edit!!! Looks like GM and Rivian have also followed suit and Stellantis and Hyundai are in talks with Tesla. Links to the info down below.

Read about the Ford details here.

The GM annoucnment can be read here.

The Rivian announcement news is here. Thanks @Kaido for the link!

Hyundai and Stellantis rumors are here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wonder how much Ford had to pay Tesla for this. Great news for Ford customers. May annoy Tesla owners though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This is REALLY big news, and also very surprising given that Tesla hasn't even launched their Cybertruck yet & Ford already has the Lightning out. And the fact that Fords will come with a built-in Tesla charger in less than 2 years is kinda mind-blowing. Very very smart of Ford to make this deal, no matter how much it's costing them. The Supercharging network is one of the biggest features of the Tesla brand, so to share it with Ford is pretty awesome! Gonna be curious how crowded the Superchargers get now lol.

Still a big missed opportunity to not build custom Tesla-branded restaurants & mini marts around every single charger. Throw some arcades in there or a roller-skating rink or two while you're waiting, haha!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
This is REALLY big news, and also very surprising given that Tesla hasn't even launched their Cybertruck yet & Ford already has the Lightning out. And the fact that Fords will come with a built-in Tesla charger in less than 2 years is kinda mind-blowing. Very very smart of Ford to make this deal, no matter how much it's costing them. The Supercharging network is one of the biggest features of the Tesla brand, so to share it with Ford is pretty awesome! Gonna be curious how crowded the Superchargers get now lol.

Still a big missed opportunity to not build custom Tesla-branded restaurants & mini marts around every single charger. Throw some arcades in there or a roller-skating rink or two while you're waiting, haha!
Yeah it's huge and IMO puts Ford on a whole other level compared to other manufactures getting into the ev space. You aren't wrong when you say that one of the biggest benefits to owning a Tesla is their charging network. Tesla has spent a lot of money and a lot of time building their charging network and soon Ford ev owners will have access to it.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Wonder how much Ford had to pay Tesla for this.
It's possible patents were involved.

In the past, Tesla has offered to allow other companies to use various Tesla-patented technology, but doing so meant companies had to abide by Tesla’s “Patent Pledge.”

Under the terms of that agreement, companies that wanted to use any Tesla technology had to agree not to sue Tesla for any sort of patent infringement or to help any other company to do so, essentially making Tesla’s offer of patent sharing a two-way street.

It’s unclear if Tesla’s Patent Pledge applies to the use of the NACS charging standard. Tesla, which generally does not respond to questions from the media, did not answer emailed questions on the topic.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
In not too long the tesla charging network will basically be the biggest part of the brand. The cars are dated and known as not finished that great. The Cybertruck looks like a dog. The brand is tarnished among their biggest customer base, because Musk has shown he is a lunatic right wing conspiracy theorist white nationalist, and it ain't MAGGATS who are into EV's.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
In not too long the tesla charging network will basically be the biggest part of the brand. The cars are dated and known as not finished that great. The Cybertruck looks like a dog. The brand is tarnished among their biggest customer base, because Musk has shown he is a lunatic right wing conspiracy theorist white nationalist, and it ain't MAGGATS who are into EV's.
The Chinese don't care about his political leanings.......and apparently neither do Americans or Europeans.

Anyway, politics aside I also think this is a smart move by both Ford and GM. The NACS plug is a better design and since Tesla opened sourced it a few months ago it cost manufacturers no extra royalties to use. I know that gaining access to their network might but that is a different topic and we don't know enough specifics yet to make those conclusions.

Someone mentioned European standards in my other thread and it also doesn't bother me that Europe chose CCS since I don't ever plan on driving my car their or importing one from their.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The Chinese don't care about his political leanings.......and apparently neither do Americans or Europeans.

Anyway, politics aside I also think this is a smart move by both Ford and GM. The NACS plug is a better design and since Tesla opened sourced it a few months ago it cost manufacturers no extra royalties to use. I know that gaining access to their network might but that is a different topic and we don't know enough specifics yet to make those conclusions.

Someone mentioned European standards in my other thread and it also doesn't bother me that Europe chose CCS since I don't ever plan on driving my car their or importing one from their.

err the Chinese are so thin skinned they get pissed at anyone that dare speak up against their official stance. What makes you think Musk is exempt from that? The commmies are fond of komplomat.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
err the Chinese are so thin skinned they get pissed at anyone that dare speak up against their official stance. What makes you think Musk is exempt from that? The commmies are fond of komplomat.
Because it was the best selling vehicle in the world......I also mentioned Americans and Europeans but I appreciate how you glazed right over that part.......:rolleyes:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Uhhh actually many Americans do care. Tesla's brand reputation has plummeted since musk has shown his true colors. It's literally in surveys.

I know multiple people who bought Teslas before musk showed who he was who will never buy one again, or who are buying their first ev and would never consider Tesla anymore.

You should do some research.

Of course the Chinese will love musk because musk has no values. So he will bend the knee to anything that Chinese government wants. He just pretends to be about free speech and those kind of things.

Reactions: Ken g6

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
One of the reasons I bought Fords first ever built and designed from the ground up EV instead of a tried and true Tesla was because of Teslas CEO. It wasn't the first reason or even reason number 10 but it was a reason. I know who he is and I can't stand the man.

I have done my research and that is why in January of this year I purchased a '23 Mach-E. The fact that Ford and then GM have both said that moving forward they will move to the NACS adapter on all their EVs is a BIG DEAL regardless of who the CEO of Tesla is.

As a Ford EV owner this is HUGE not just for me because it opens up more possibilities for long range travel but it's a big deal for the North American automotive landscape in general. @MrSquished Stop dragging your personal disdain for Teslas CEO into this and realize the bigger picture that could come out of this.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm all for adopting a standard interface, this is great.

But if people can't see how damaged tesla's brand reputation is, that's on them. It's literally been recorded in studies. As more and more EV options come out, Tesla will continue to lose market share exponentially. The IONIQ is a fantastic option. They will need to use their supercharger network for cash flow and brand identity more and more.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
JFC show us on the Musk doll where he touched you. Are you saying Tesla drivers are now making a political statement? Yikes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
JFC show us on the Musk doll where he touched you. Are you saying Tesla drivers are now making a political statement? Yikes.
People who buy EVs tend to be left leaning. As Musk shows he is more right leaning, the people that bought his cars are regretting that decision. It's not that hard to see is it?

Reactions: Brainonska511

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I'm saying people not interested in buying Teslas now due to Musk, or regret having a Tesla brand car associated with the shithead they now realize is Musk, are making a statement.

No I don't think gas engine loving MAGGATS are going to make a political statement by buying a Tesla to support Musk.

That's exactly the problem. Seems you fail at basic reading comprehension. Yikes.

Musk has turned out to be the worst of the worst. The Musk thread in P&N details just some of his horrific positions and opinions. He is a shite human being.

Reactions: Thump553

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'm all for adopting a standard interface, this is great.

But if people can't see how damaged tesla's brand reputation is, that's on them. It's literally been recorded in studies. As more and more EV options come out, Tesla will continue to lose market share exponentially. The IONIQ is a fantastic option. They will need to use their supercharger network for cash flow and brand identity more and more.
What brand damage? The MY was literally the best selling vehicle in the world last quarter. That's huge for an automotive brand that just got into the automotive market around 15 years ago.

If you took the time to read the Reuters article I linked they beat out tried and true old guard manufacturer Toyota which is a big deal.

Ford and GM realize this and they understand what is coming.

Reactions: Brovane

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What brand damage? The MY was literally the best selling vehicle in the world last quarter. That's huge for an automotive brand that just got into the automotive market around 15 years ago.

If you took the time to read the Reuters article I linked they beat out tried and true old guard manufacturer Toyota which is a big deal.

Ford and GM realize this and they understand what is coming.

There is a really long way to go in the EV market, so if you think Tesla has won it all you are naive and silly. The EV races have just begun, and Elon is killing his brand among his base, which are mostly left of center folks who buy into EV's, not gas vehicles. Hybrids and EV's are for girly men for his far right wing compatriots.

investors are asking, and Elon just solidifies what a douche he is with his answer, definitely another big boost to his brand among those who either, think he is a shithead for being so far right wing it's insane, or two, just people that want to make money with him and think he is damaging the brand and earning potential.

Surveys prove Tesla's brand has been severely damaged with Elon showing the world what a shite person he is. And many investors who could mostly give two shits about his politics, but just want to make money on the Elon train, are also concerned. But it's good to know you don't care about reality.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Of course @bbhaag laughs at links to data, because it's been quite clear that guy solidly leans right even though he thinks he is moderate.

If he wasn't having a mid-40s crisis he would bought a Tesla, but he got a Ford mustang EV instead for a mid life crisis

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I'm saying people not interested in buying Teslas now due to Musk, or regret having a Tesla brand car associated with the shithead they now realize is Musk, are making a statement.

No I don't think gas engine loving MAGGATS are going to make a political statement by buying a Tesla to support Musk.

That's exactly the problem. Seems you fail at basic reading comprehension. Yikes.

Musk has turned out to be the worst of the worst. The Musk thread in P&N details just some of his horrific positions and opinions. He is a shite human being.
Seek help, or get some stress relief because you got some issues.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
People who buy EVs tend to be left leaning. As Musk shows he is more right leaning, the people that bought his cars are regretting that decision. It's not that hard to see is it?
So having one of the best selling EV's means everyone is regretting their decision? Tell me more.

Reactions: Brovane

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So having one of the best selling EV's means everyone is regretting their decision? Tell me more.

Did I say everyone? I just explained how a owner can come to regret buying one. This is not unique to Musk nor Tesla you know. The Tesla investors are not happy either.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seek help, or get some stress relief because you got some issues.

Awwww, another right wing shite-head that lives in an alternate reality. That's been a pandemic for a while now. There is no help for you though.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Did I say everyone? I just explained how a owner can come to regret buying one. This is not unique to Musk nor Tesla you know. The Tesla investors are not happy either.
Yes, but you and soy boy are trying to make it sound like the buyers that feel this way are somehow a huge factor in their bottom line, they aren't.
Awwww, another right wing shite-head that lives in an alternate reality. That's been a pandemic for a while now. There is no help for you though.
Trigger happy with the insults, keep that blood pressure sky high. 👍 Just an FYI just because someone doesn't LOATH another person as much as you, doesn't make them somehow the exact opposite political leaning. But if he's the "worst of the worst" surely there is some reason he's not behind bars in a jail right?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
There is a really long way to go in the EV market, so if you think Tesla has won it all you are naive and silly. The EV races have just begun, and Elon is killing his brand among his base, which are mostly left of center folks who buy into EV's, not gas vehicles. Hybrids and EV's are for girly men for his far right wing compatriots.

Tesla was never going to "win it all". EV's have moved beyond the early adopter market of, I am making a statement.

However, I think by the end of this decade Tesla will be in the top 5 for worldwide Auto Sales. The currently are 15th for 2022. In 2021 they where 18th and in 2020 they were 27.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We're in the demo for Tesla but would likely not buy another vehicle from them due to 1) Elon 2) Don't dig the screen controls for everything 3) very difficult to deal with the company for CS. I also honestly did not find our Model 3 to be comfortable for long drives due to the seats.

I can easily sit tight in my i3s for a few years and see what's on offer then.