Forcing fixed window size in VLC?

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
I have a minor yet annoying issue with VLC mdia player. Whenever i play a video, the window size changes according to the resolution of the videos. This isn't a problem with small videos, however when the video is 720p or higher, the window size suddenly jumps and goes out of my monitor's frame(monitor's max resolution is 1280x1024). This is annoying as the window borders go out of the frame of the display and i can't resize the window unless i first move the window so that the borders are in the display again.

Also I like to watch videos while doing something else, so i activate "Always on Top" and resize the window and move it a corner of the screen. However as soon as a large video comes up, the window suddenly automatically resizes, taking up my entire screen, blocking whatever i was doing. Like this.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
8BAgpnk.png

Johnny4

Nov 12, 2013
it's so easy than that in the new versions
Steps :- Tools menu>Interface(Make sure you are still in simple mode rather than all) and uncheck "Resize interface to video size" maybe it's help to you

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
I love VLC and I have always wondered if I could set the size!

I just checked the values my VLC was set to and it says -1 for width and hieghth which is why it resizes to the size of the video (I may set it to 320x240)

A good thread!!!! (I hadnt looked into this before)