Forced to reflash Bios after every shutdown

Bucks

Jun 23, 2004
I just built a new computer with the below specs. Since the motherboard is a Gen3, I had to flash it using the MSI BiosFlash button and a USB drive to be able to recognize my 3600. The problem is, almost every time I shut my computer down and reboot it, I get the little red "CPU problem" light displays on my B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC and won't even boot to BIOS. I then have the clear the CMOS batter, and reflash using the USB drive. Any ideas what is causing the flash "not to stick"? Bad CMOS battery?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
MSI - B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 - Windows
Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB SSD - Gaming
Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB TUF OC
Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower
SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W

Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think pretty much most of MSI's B450/X470 AMD boards have the smaller BIOS.

When I was researching their B450/X470 motherboards, they all seemed to be dropping support for quite a few CPUs (and calling it GSE-Lite) Here's an example of one their higher end boards seemingly having the same limitation:

1.jpg

As far as why the flash isn't sticking, it sounds like some type of BIOS bug to me. Have you tried flashing it within the actual BIOS (or have you just done it with BIOS flash button)?

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com

Between Wendall and VOX using a MSI TomaHawk B450 or ASUS Carbon with a R5 3600 destroys an Intel 9900K for streaming and content creation !

If I'm reading this right ?

I have to agree with other members the problem lies in the way you flash the BIOS or your MB BIOS chip is flaky. On the other hand AMD may not be supporting 3 Gen CPU's for 128 MB BIOS's ?

Yet there's a hint that AMD may support PCIe 4 on some X470 MB's with a 256 MB Bios - Wait and see ?

Too early to tell WTF is going on ;o)

-------------------------------

Summary of my present System:

CH7/R5 2600X @ 3.75v with PBO enabled/Sata RAID Enabled/32 GB's of T-Force Samsung-B @ 3466 Mhz 15CL @ 1.4v/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB Boot drive under Sata/2 X's Samsung 500GB's 960 EVO's SSD's in RAID-0 for a Scratchpad and 1 WD Black 4 TB SATA for Media Storage.

The XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB is 3 way partitioned with a Fat 32 1GB BOOT drive (I like to use DOS at times ;o) /WINX C Drive is NTFS 120GB and a GAME NTFS Partition @ 355 GB's - Which is most always vacant. I Place Benchmarks there at times.

Video Cards Vary. But primarily I use an AMD R9 290X for every day use.

For most stuff I use a 27" 2K 2560 x 1440p Korean MBest 144Hz IPS Free Sync Monitor. Love that Display.

I'm not that much into Gaming but do a lot of Video Editing and Encoding.

Plus I use a RAMDisk utility for Windows Temps and App Buffers.

Really looking to get a R7 3700X but very expensive in Canada.

Last edited:

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I couldn't get my MSI board to boot at all (spent over 30 minutes restarting to no avail). After unplugging the power cord for an hour or so and then trying again it eventually started.....then wouldn't turn on again after it went to sleep. I saw a post on Reddit suggesting I unplug my reset switch on my motherboard. I thought the suggestion was idiotic but I did it anyway out of desperation. Now it starts most of the time. Something to consider at least.

The upgraded bios they released a few days ago for my board appears to have done nothing for the boot issues.

Bucks

Jun 23, 2004
It turns out this is a major problem with MSI boards and their BIOS they released recently. There are a couple of major threads over at the official MSI forum and the MSI subreddit. Many people having problems with their B450 motherboards are not posting. MSI is hoping to have a new BIOS out before the end of the month, but many people are getting fed up and buying other brands.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Yep, its a pain. The best explanation I have seen on reddit was suggesting that the bios is detecting the Ryzen 3000 voltages as too high and refusing to post (now that they can go up to 1.5 on low load). Weird thing like removing reset switches, swapping power cables and power supplies, turning it on after leaving it unplugged, turning it on after it has 'warmed up' etc are all just changing the voltage enough to allow the CPU to turn on. Different stuff is working for different people because of the different configs and the fact all the cpu's are acting differently depending on their own limits.