Force3D = Cheap Trash?

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
This isn't a help request, rather an information/confirmation request. About two years ago, I bought a Force3D Radeon HD4850; 1GB GDDR3; stock clocks are supposed to be 625MHz/993MHz if I'm correct.

First off, after installation it runs at 625MHz/900MHz by default. Second, it has NO power connector, meaning it draws all required electricity from the x16 PCI-e slot in my Biostar TA770 board. This, it seems, is where the problem appears. To even play a game like Fallout 3 without a crash 10 minutes in, I have to UNDERCLOCK my graphics card to 600MHz/850MHz! Make no mistake, I love this card, the performance is awesome, but I've been overclocking since my Cyrix P233 and given that I installed a Zalman cooler on the card, I expected to do something with it! If I don't do that, practically every game I play either suffers from dramatic slowdowns or simply a CTD or BSoD; especially demanding titles like NFS Undercover and Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 5 being the most telltale culprit, since it artefacts like crazy at stock speeds practically immediately after loading the game and the benchmark doesn't even finish before the entire game locks up. Reducing the clocks, if not removing the artefacts completely, at the very least decreases them dramatically and the game doesn't crash.

My PSU is a Huntkey 550W. Now before anyone freaks out, I DID check the continuous output before replacing my rubbish Gigabyte Odin 470W with this one. The Odin had the same issues, so I assumed the PSU was at fault, given that the Odin (curse you Gigabyte and your false branding!) has a continuous output of 400W. The Huntkey, however, runs at 450W continuous and seems much better overall than the Gigabyte, for the time I've been using it. It was all I could afford at the time and since the card actually worked (however shoddy) with the Odin installed, I assumed the 50W increase in continuous output would be sufficient to solve my problem. Normally, I suppose it would have been.

A friend of mine had the same GPU (we bought them a month or 2 apart) and, disgusted after encountering the same problems as I have but on a cheap 450W PSU, he sold his to another friend. This guy runs a 600W+ PSU and hasn't noticed any of the problems either of us had. The card runs as smooth as butter. This is another reason which leads me to believe that Force3D's poor decision to not include an external power connector (my PSU has two 6-pin connectors and another 2 for 8-pin configuration) on the card itself.

I have raised the PCI-e wattage in my motherboard BIOS as well but that had no effect, which further confirmed my suspicions. Even though my 3GHz Athlon II 250 CPU has a 65W TDP and is running at stock (when I had a Radeon 4670 it reached 3.8GHz) plus I run one 7200rpm SATA2 hard drive and have two DVD-RW drives installed, which totals a meagre amount of power consumption, this doesn't seem to help; the HD4850 is after all listed on AMD's site as requiring a minimum of 450W to run in an average system and mine is just that. I am assuming that the fault lies with the PSU failing to supply enough power to the motherboard, leaving the graphics card starved. Could anyone verify this for me? Or perhaps someone, somewhere has had a similar problem and if I am wrong they could correct me?

Thanks

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I have raised the PCI-e wattage in my motherboard BIOS as well but that had no effect, which further confirmed my suspicions.
Eh?
That don't make sense, what did you actually change, the voltage ? If you are running the PCI-e out of spec, then that won't help at all...
The reason they put power plugs on the cards is to be able to handle more wattage than the PCI-e specs allow.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
So your friend had the same problems as you, then sold it to someone with a better power supply, and you are blaming the card?

that Huntkey PS is probably still the issue unfortunately. They are a flaming(literally) pile of junk.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Huntkey-Green-Star-550-W-LW-6550SG-Power-Supply-Review/668/7

"This power supply exploded when we tried to pull 550 W from it (test number five). On the next page we posted the video and pictures showing this"

:0

I agree that it's likely the power supply that's the culprit. Regardless, using bad power supplies such as this one is generally a bad idea. I'm not sure what brands you can buy in South Africa, but I personally try to go with Seasonic or Corsair on my builds.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
I agree that it's likely the power supply that's the culprit. Regardless, using bad power supplies such as this one is generally a bad idea. I'm not sure what brands you can buy in South Africa, but I personally try to go with Seasonic or Corsair on my builds.

Thanks for the replies, though some of you misunderstood my reasoning.

The motherboard BIOS has an option to regulate the maximum wattage it allows through the PCI-e slot.

The PSU is obviously the culprit, but my deduction is that it isn't the PSU's capability to supply power in itself, rather than its ability to supply power to the motherboard. Meaning if the card had a 6-pin connector it might have worked properly. I suppose I'm wrong, but it just seems logical to me.

And to reply on the post I quoted, we can buy just about any brand of PSU here in SA but consider that a 500W entry level Corsair goes for about R650 (about $90) online, without shipping. R500 is all I could afford (stretching my budget as it is) and my Gigabyte was dying so I wanted to buy a new PSU before it fried my whole system. The Huntkey was the best I could get at the time. Its PFC functions nicely and I haven't had any firey issues so the PSU itself hasn't given me grief apart from not running my GPU as it should. Regardless, I will replace the Huntkey with a Silverstone or something similar as soon as I have the caps lol

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It does seem kind of sketchy to get a HD4850 without a 6-pin power connector, yet still runs at what I think are standard clocks.

Considering that card runs at 110W under load (IIRC), then that's way too much to draw through a PCI-E connector. It could burn out the mobo, if the mobo will even supply that much power to the slot.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
It does seem kind of sketchy to get a HD4850 without a 6-pin power connector, yet still runs at what I think are standard clocks.

Considering that card runs at 110W under load (IIRC), then that's way too much to draw through a PCI-E connector. It could burn out the mobo, if the mobo will even supply that much power to the slot.

Thanks man you understand perfectly and thats exactly what I thought. You see, I bought the card online and had no idea that it didn't have a PCI-e connector. I was surprised as hell, believe me! Thats why I'm blaming Force3D themselves. Before the 4850, as I said, I ran a 4670, also Force3D. Which also didn't have a PCI-e connector but they never do, because they don't draw that much power. But a 4850 drawing power only from the PCI-e slot is insane. Here is why I say this:

A single x16 card may now draw up to 300 W of power (75 W from the slot itself, 150 W from an 8-pin PEG connector, 75 W from a second PEG connector)

10stripe.com talking about the features of PCI-express V2.0.

Last edited:

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
lol I can't believe I'm posting a reply on such an ancient post, but I just have to say this: I'm still running that same Huntkey PSU. So much for it bursting into flames, those guys must have had a factory dud.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL. 2011->2018, on the same Huntkey PSU?

Wow, better buy a Megamillions ticket. (900M+ jackpot).

Edit: Still same GPU? I hope that you've upgraded it by now.

I don't know about compatiiblity with older non-UEFI BIOSes (said to be an issue with some RX cards), but Newegg has had, off and on, a REFURB Sapphire RX 560 2GB GDDR5 card, for $70 + ship.

I picked one of them up, my RX 460 4GB Nitro mysteriously died, as did the following GPU.

Starting to wonder if my Antec NeoEco 620C is OK or not. (Was in storage for 5 years or so, only installed it a year or two ago.)

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
lol I can't believe I'm posting a reply on such an ancient post, but I just have to say this: I'm still running that same Huntkey PSU. So much for it bursting into flames, those guys must have had a factory dud.
It lasted doesnt mean its a good PSU. If it runs on low power components it might last a long time. Cheap teapo caps rated @ 85c, poor ripple suppression (which may adversely affect other PC components), poor load performance which can kill it if running near its max power, are all things to avoid in a PSU.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
LOL. 2011->2018, on the same Huntkey PSU?

Wow, better buy a Megamillions ticket. (900M+ jackpot).

Edit: Still same GPU? I hope that you've upgraded it by now.

I don't know about compatiiblity with older non-UEFI BIOSes (said to be an issue with some RX cards), but Newegg has had, off and on, a REFURB Sapphire RX 560 2GB GDDR5 card, for $70 + ship.

I picked one of them up, my RX 460 4GB Nitro mysteriously died, as did the following GPU.

Starting to wonder if my Antec NeoEco 620C is OK or not. (Was in storage for 5 years or so, only installed it a year or two ago.)

LOL I actually do have an RX560 now, my sig is updated with my current hardware. I did a complete overhaul of my system around a year ago, can't say I'm disappointed.

It lasted doesnt mean its a good PSU. If it runs on low power components it might last a long time. Cheap teapo caps rated @ 85c, poor ripple suppression (which may adversely affect other PC components), poor load performance which can kill it if running near its max power, are all things to avoid in a PSU.

Well I've only been running a UPS for the last year and we've got terrible power here, no issues. Last component that died on me was a hard drive and that was definitely unrelated to the PSU. I'm running 4 hard drives and an SSD along with the rest of the hardware in my sig, so power draw isn't too low. Not saying it's a good PSU, but it's not as bad as some people have made them out to be. Either that or I really should get a lottery ticket.

I am going to get a new PSU soon though, so don't fret too much :D I replied to the post mainly because I can't believe it's been 7 years and I'm still running the same PSU. Actually I really want to get a new one ASAP now...

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The EVGA 500B should be decent, though not great. I would probably pick it over the above list though.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
The EVGA 500B should be decent, though not great. I would probably pick it over the above list though.

Stupid as my home country is, the only local store I can find that has the 500B says it's reached end of life... I could get it from Amazon or wherever, but the import duties / delivery is literally $3 less than the PSU itself. The EVGA 500W1 is literally the only one I can find locally that won't require me selling a kidney. My question is, would it be better than the Antec, or could I just as well get that then? I've fallen a bit out of touch with PSU makers and what counts as reliable these days...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Don't think I've laughed this much in awhile. Thanks for that.

Otherwise yay for import duties. Fancy giving up a kidney?

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
Don't think I've laughed this much in awhile. Thanks for that.

Otherwise yay for import duties. Fancy giving up a kidney?

LOL I have funky kidneys to begin with so I'm not sure how I'd do with only one :D I think I'm just going to take the leap and get the 500W1. At the very least it should be better than this 7 year old Huntkey, right? I didn't even consider EVGA before you guys recommended them though so thanks!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah I'm thinking the Huntkey could be kept around as sort of a backup. Or paperweight.