Force windows 7 to enable driver........

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Hello, im creating an image for the computers at work and Ive run into an annoying issue. This is a universal image, Wn7X64 Pro, and im trying to automagically install the drivers for the graphics card. Sounds simple, right? Well, the new 7th gen processors dont support windows 7, so I made a custom driver .inf for it to install under windows 7. That part works fine, the drivers install and I get intel HD620 graphics as an option. Then I call dpinst from my unattend file and have it install the drivers for the GPU during startup with the /lm switch enabled (since its a custom driver, its unsigned and M$ doesnt like that for some reason). All of that works great, the driver installs during first startup, and I have a completely unattended install. The issue arises when I boot into windows for the first time. The driver is technically installed, and it is available, but windows doesnt automatically select it for use. I have to right click the device in device manager, select update driver etc.. and I see the custom one right there in the list of currently installed drivers, right under "Standard VGA graphics adapter". All I do is select it an hit install, and it works perfectly. Does anyone know of a way to force windows to select that specific driver to use over the default one? I cant help but imagine this is all related to it being unsigned and therefore "worse" than the default one, so im experimenting with putting
<forceIfDriverIsNotBetter/>
in my dpinst.xml file. Ill let you guys know if that solves it, but if anyone has any ideas please oh please share them with me.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Using that switch didnt seem to help, I still see both the HD620 and standard VGA graphics adapter options in the driver selection screen.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
How about boot f8 allow unsigned drivers?

So there are 2 "issues" with that. Issue number one is that im trying to create a fully unattended install based off of (currently) a clonezilla USB drive, and once our network gets sorted out ill be using fog to deploy. The second "issue" is that the pressing F8 option would still leave me exactly where I am now. I can automate the installation of unsigned drivers just fine using dpinst64.exe and calling it from my unattend.xml file, and using dpinst.xml to configure it. The problem is that windows now detects 2 drivers for the GPU, and is defaulting to the standard VGA graphics adapter driver instead of the Intel HD620 driver that is clearly avaliable right under it in the list of drivers. Heres a photo of what im dealing with:
Driver.jpg

If I select the HD620 driver, it loads perfectly and all is well. I just need to know how to force windows to load that driver above the default one.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I would be curious if you can find a solution to this. I tried doing something similar a few years back using sysprep but could never get it to work because of the unsigned driver (in my case a network driver). It always needed human intervention to get it to use it.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I would be curious if you can find a solution to this. I tried doing something similar a few years back using sysprep but could never get it to work because of the unsigned driver (in my case a network driver). It always needed human intervention to get it to use it.

Are you having the same problem as me (Driver gets installed but not selected) or did you get stuck on automating the install of the driver itself? Ive seen many posts online asking how to do what I already managed to do, but I havent found a single one asking how to force windows to select a specific driver to load after it has already been installed.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Are you having the same problem as me (Driver gets installed but not selected) or did you get stuck on automating the install of the driver itself? Ive seen many posts online asking how to do what I already managed to do, but I havent found a single one asking how to force windows to select a specific driver to load after it has already been installed.

Maybe a bit different, I had created an image with the driver already installed then deployed it with sysprep. It would not enable the driver until someone clicked through the unsigned driver warning box. The issue for me was that disabling the unsigned driver check in registry was reset with sysprep. I never looked too far into it.