Force show entire network in Win XP.

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
When you go to my network places in windows explorer I see opened folders and sometimes an "Entire Network" icon typically I can refresh and the Entire Network Icon appears but not always.

I can go to network connections in control panel and when I select a connection a my network places appears on the left and when I select it then I once again see the Entire Network icon on the left allowing me to brose the network.

But sometimes the network does not show in any of those cases and I would like to know how force the "entire network" to appear all the time regardless if there is a network.

I just want to see the "entire network" at all times and not worry about it appearing.

In all of these cases the network exists and I can find a connect to a computer if I know the exact name but there is not "Entire Network" icon visible on the system.

Thanks

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Network Neighborhood is buggy and unreliable, I would just go to using unc paths with IP's, i.e. \\ip.of.server.X\share

Tarrant64

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2004
UNC?

I think I use the same thing...Start-->cmnd-->"\\name of PC\share" or "\\serverIP\share"
Correct?

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
This is on the network at home. If I knew the PC name then it would be great but there is no way to know all of them. I do need to be able to browse.

where does the Entire network icon come from in general. In Win 98 it was always there even if I did not have a network card.

Thanks again.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
you don't know the names of you computers at home? TIme to build a DNS server, lol

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Give them all the same static IP and name then you'll only have to remember one thing.

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
This is a company network connected to a domain server with hundreds if not thousands of systems.

The problem is that some new systems cannot access the network. Every individual has a network share to store files and I need to browse the network to find it.

imported_randy

Oct 7, 2005
I found this posted by Greg Eaton on another forum.

This could be the result of Windows Explorer being set to use common tasks and folders. To undo this setting, do the following...

Right click My Computer.
Select Properties.
System Properties will be displayed.
Select the Advanced tab.
Click on Settings under Performance.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list of check boxes, and uncheck the third one from the bottom "Use common tasks and folders"

Note - you may need to close all explorer windows and/or reboot for the change to take effect

Boscoh

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: elkinm
This is on the network at home. If I knew the PC name then it would be great but there is no way to know all of them. I do need to be able to browse.
Originally posted by: elkinm
This is a company network connected to a domain server with hundreds if not thousands of systems.

You just said two VERY different things. Which is it?

If it's a corporate network, you need to have sufficient rights before you go and start trying to browse file shares across the network...or you could be looking for another job.

Having hundreds or thousands of systems, I would guess that if the admins wanted you to have access to those systems, they'd be more than willing to help you get it. Why dont you try asking them? There could also be a reason why you DONT have access to those machines.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
if it's work, you should be using DNS to get the name, with alias entries to make it easy to find. Network Neighborhood was never designed (.) for this type of heavy, non local browsing.