Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Wow - a whole article without one proof.

The Coalition has fixed the AO problem. Performance is still bad on AMD hardware.

Did you only read the title?

The entry means that hardware accelerated PhysX is enabled by default in the game and because any changes to the file are overwritten automatically upon game start-up means it can’t be disabled. For those of you unaware PhysX is Nvidia’s proprietary game physics engine and can only be accelerated by Nvidia’s own graphics cards. If a competing GPU is detected by the PhysX driver, the work will instead be automatically offloaded onto the CPU. This in turn means that the feature will run disproportionately slower on non Nvidia equipped systems.

In the past, all games that included hardware accelerated PhysX features such as debris, water physics and so on included the option to turn it off. This was critical because these features directly influenced how the game performed. The option was also necessary when evaluating AMD and Nvidia graphics cards to ensure that the testing was done on an even playing field.

Additionally, because hardware accelerated PhysX features are only visual and aren’t part of the game’s core mechanics ;disabling them would not affect the game’s behavior in any way. Sadly because we are unable to turn off hardware acceleration in Gears of War Ultimate Edition we don’t know what it’s actually doing. And whether it could account for some of the performance disparity we’re seeing between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. Right now we simply don’t know what affect it has because we can’t test it.

Suffice to say there seem to be some “shenanigans” going on here so we’ll keep a close watch and update everyone accordingly. In the meantime we’d advise PC gamers to wait until the mist clears on the issues surrounding this troubled PC release before pulling the trigger.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gameworks-visual-corruption-gears-war-ultimate-edition/#ixzz423eIuOtl

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
PhysX is the main physic engine of UE3 and UE4. What do you think they are using on the Xbox One?
But dont let facts get into your way.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
I guess it is in every BaseEngine.ini.

It comes down to whether Nvidia Gameworks Involvement had any impact on the Devs, whether a DX11 Gameworks Feature in a 2006 DX9 Source code makes a game DX12, and whether this is an ambassador worthy of DX12.

Perhaps this really is the shining beacon on DX12, and clearly it favors Nvidia's latest architecture.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
Wow - a whole article without one proof.

The Coalition has fixed the AO problem. Performance is still bad on AMD hardware.

hey budy , They just disabled it not fixed!! Read this damn article then write your post!

We have also tested the game again with the newly released patch. This patch was intended to fix the visual corruption issue with ambient occlusion turned on. However, it appears that all this patch does to address the issue is forcibly disable Ambient Occlusion, even if enabled through the menu.

Sadly what we ended up with was a broken mess and “one of the most disastrous PC game launches in years” writes Forbes’s Jason Evangelho. We covered the many foibles of this, there’s no other word for it, broken game earlier in the week. We would highly advise you to go check out that article if you haven’t already as we’re not going to cover all of the game’s issue here. Rather we will focus on the elephant in the room. Something that’s been so often cited as the culprit in many broken games in the past.

Gears of War : Ultimate Edition post-patch – Ambient Occlusion On – R9 Nano
AMD-Radeon-Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Ambient-Occlusion-On.jpg

Gears of War : Ultimate Edition post-patch – Ambient Occlusion Off – R9 Nano
AMD-Radeon-Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Ambient-Occlusion-Off.jpg

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Jason has a few claims Check out @killyourfm's Tweet: https://twitter.com/killyourfm/status/706198113334071296?s=09

My theory is that Nvidia rushed the Devs to release the game knowing the they are still in the process of optimizing. Think about it, Nvidia had an advanced build of the game so they could optimize as much from their end meanwhile the rushed release would affect amd which is less likely to have launch day drivers...
Put 2 and 2 together, And subtract 1. That means hl3 is confirmed.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
hey budy , They just disabled it not fixed!! Read this damn article then write your post!

Instead of posting pictures of the benchmark they should have started the game and make a 1:1 comparision...

The difference between on/off is not huge.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
PhysX is the main physic engine of UE3 and UE4. What do you think they are using on the Xbox One?
But dont let facts get into your way.

Are you aware of the fact that UE4 PhysX implementation does not use GPU acceleration? It runs entirely on the CPU. In fact, every single implementation of PhysX that is used as the main physics engine in any game runs on the CPU, for obvious reason.

The GPU hardware accelerated PhysX features, like the ones in Borderlands, are not part of that basic package and, as far as I know, never were.

Last edited:

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Jason has a few claims Check out @killyourfm's Tweet: https://twitter.com/killyourfm/status/706198113334071296?s=09

My theory is that Nvidia rushed the Devs to release the game knowing the they are still in the process of optimizing. Think about it, Nvidia had an advanced build of the game so they could optimize as much from their end meanwhile the rushed release would affect amd which is less likely to have launch day drivers...

Now that is crooked.

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016

How could NVIDIA rush a game to be released?

Feb 19, 2009
Are you aware of the fact that UE4 PhysX implementation does not use GPU acceleration? It runs entirely on the CPU. In fact, every single implementation of PhysX that is used as the main physics engine in any game runs on the CPU, for obvious reason.

The GPU hardware accelerated PhysX features are not part of that basic package and, as far as I know, never were.

PhysX can indeed be CPU only physics rendering, or particles, effects & cloth based GPU accelerated (it also works on the CPU, but crap performance, as seen in Borderlands and other games).

Without the developers telling you which they use, we can only speculate.

NV changed the name recently, they are calling the GPU accelerated PhysX effects as FleX (debut in Fallout 4 patch 1.3). FleX is the new program.

PhysX/FleX falls under the GameWorks program.

The interesting thing is here: https://developer.nvidia.com/particles

UE3 incorporates PhysX particles/debris, cloth and destruction. Don't know which features GoW uses, but there's plenty of room there for GPU offloading like it happened back in the days of Borderlands.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
nVidia is bullying Microsoft? The company who included Async Compute into the spec of DX12?

This is hilarious.

Feb 19, 2009
nVidia is bullying Microsoft? The company who included Async Compute into the spec of DX12?

This is hilarious.

Maybe NV told MS like they told everyone, they can support Async Compute... MS had no reason to think they were lying, right?!

Looks like they have a habit of that, their most recent lies:

NVIDIA-Vulkan-API_SteamOS_8-635x357.jpg

NVIDIA-Vulkan-API_SteamOS_7-635x357.jpg

Now they say it's not happening, poof, just like that. No Vulkan for Fermi. No DX12 for Fermi. No DX12/Vulkan Async Compute for anything.

You going to defend the indefensible?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006

LOL! :biggrin:

Feb 19, 2009
ad6afc51bd9e325cb0483b731592a9fd.jpg

This smells quite fishy.

Because they sneak in HBAO+ and called it AO, they were hoping nobody notices that AMD yet again, runs poorly or broken in a GimpWorks title.

Gamers have caught on to that, and so that tactic has less impact. Reading Reddit now, it's hilarious how hostile gamers are to GameWorks.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Because they sneak in HBAO+ and called it AO, they were hoping nobody notices that AMD yet again, runs poorly or broken in a GimpWorks title.
And it wasn't even tested on a Radeon...

This is really irresponsible behaviour from the Coalition.

Something tells me that the release was rushed so that NVIDIA and Microsoft could do that DX12/XBox One showcase. Evidently NVIDIA gained access to an advanced build of the engine in order to run in during that showcase. This is why NVIDIA came out with a game ready driver on the same day.

So we really can't take GoW as being representative of a DX12 title at all.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
So like Oxide is only using AMD hardware to showcase the game. I guess this makes it not a "representative of a DX12 title" either.

Last edited:

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
And it wasn't even tested on a Radeon...

This is really irresponsible behaviour from the Coalition.

Something tells me that the release was rushed so that NVIDIA and Microsoft could do that DX12/XBox One showcase. Evidently NVIDIA gained access to an advanced build of the engine in order to run in during that showcase. This is why NVIDIA came out with a game ready driver on the same day.

So we really can't take GoW as being representative of a DX12 title at all.

Dismissing a Directx 12 title because it runs poorly on AMD seems disingenuous. It is the first major directx 12 title released. What remains to be seen is if AMD continues to struggle in future directx 12 titles.

Then again 12 won't become the standard for many years, so people may be making much ado about nothing.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
So like Oxide is only using AMD hardware to showcase the game. I guess this makes is not a "representative of a DX12 title" either.

The game is basically a tech showcase for AMD, I don't think it represents what we should expect from future DX12 titles.

Magee_MC

Jan 18, 2010
So like Oxide is only using AMD hardware to showcase the game. I guess this makes is not a "representative of a DX12 title" either.

Do you have any references or facts to back up that statement? As far as I can tell it is flat out misinformation. Oxide has worked to make sure that both NVIDIA and AMD cards can each work as well as possible on Ashes and has additionally worked to make sure that AMD and NVIDIA cards can work together in combination on Ashes.

kagui

Jun 1, 2013
If i could find a setting on ashes where it tank performance for one gpu brand, then i will say , yes this game is biased.

Gears of War dev hidde the gameworks code (HBAO+ gimpworks code) .
No release info just bang there is, no annunce no nothing i wonder why is that.
dx9 game engine, converted to dx12, no info that they rewrite all the engine.
No gains from dx12, it runs the same on consoles, even on XBOX360 but it run worse only on pc amd

Status
Not open for further replies.