Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but opinions are like farts, everyone likes their own brand but dislikes those of others. Opinions are not facts, facts are objective statements derived from demonstrable evidence. This evidence is empirical, having been studied and observed to be replicative. So while everyone is entitled to their own opinions, opinions are like brain farts and hold no value whatsoever.

Last edited:

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I would say in soviet russia... but this isn't it, just a case of tacking on DX12 on 2006 UE4 codebase. Weird things can happen like all the funky stuff here.

The 960 2GB vs 4GB thing is surely just a case of the 2 vs 4 GB making no difference, and the inherent randomness of the benachmark(s) showing through?
(Or even slightly different clock rates if they're not testing stock cards.).

All of these FPS figures should probably have non trivial error bars attached. Well maybe not the ones pegged at 60 :)

Aug 11, 2008
Well seems to me like there are bigger fish to fry here than gameworks. The Universal Windows platform seems to have the potential to make Gameworks look like Mother Theresa. Havent read through every post, but all I see is the usual complaining about gameworks, while it seems MS is trying to actually take control of PC game distribution itself. Tim Sweeny comments .

I have never been a fan of Steam OS, but this makes we think we may need it after all.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Well seems to me like there are bigger fish to fry here than gameworks. The Universal Windows platform seems to have the potential to make Gameworks look like Mother Theresa. Havent read through every post, but all I see is the usual complaining about gameworks, while it seems MS is trying to actually take control of PC game distribution itself. Tim Sweeny comments .

I have never been a fan of Steam OS, but this makes we think we may need it after all.

Eh read the updated article with Microsoft's responses. Sweeney is very wrong and its funny considering that he has supported Apple's iOS and Metal very strongly.

In response to Sweeney’s allegations, Kevin Gallo, corporate vice president of Windows at Microsoft, told the Guardian: “The Universal Windows Platform is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, that can be supported by any store. We continue to make improvements for developers; for example, in the Windows 10 November Update, we enabled people to easily side-load apps by default, with no UX required.

“We want to make Windows the best development platform regardless of technologies used, and offer tools to help developers with existing code bases of HTML/JavaScript, .NET and Win32, C+ + and Objective-C bring their code to Windows, and integrate UWP capabilities. With Xamarin, UWP developers can not only reach all Windows 10 devices, but they can now use a large percentage of their C# code to deliver a fully native mobile app experiences for iOS and Android. We also posted a blog on our development tools recently.”

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...es-tim-sweeney-games-industry-fight-microsoft

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705795213709561857

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705794534513324032

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705795341572923392

Feb 19, 2009
Just don't make UWP apps, make games instead.

What's the big deal?

Don't play MS built DX12 games if they force exclusivity to their store?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
MSFT is in full blown damage control. Woof. That's two strikes against their Win10 Store version of games.

They lost the console race and they gave themselves a head start to re-re-lose the PC space.

Kudos MSFT, you guys are amazing!

Aug 11, 2008
Yea, I am with you railven. Of course MS is going to try to put a positive spin on it. I already resent Win 10 being shoved down my throat, and now this just seems like more of the same. And I actually used to be a big supporter of MS, and thought they were being criticized unfairly a lot of the time.

Feb 19, 2009
Apple and Google does it and people have no issues. SteamOS is trying to do it, no problems either. MS does it, it's bad.

IMO they are all bad, forcing exclusivity is crap for consumers.

Their App Store is doomed to fail, because DX12 games work fine outside of it. Why make a UWP app? Are sales going to be that massive compared to retail, Steam or GOG?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Apple and Google does it and people have no issues. SteamOS is trying to do it, no problems either. MS does it, it's bad.

Their App Store is doomed to fail, because DX12 games work fine outside of it. Why make a UWP app? Are sales going to be that massive compared to retail, Steam or GOG?

Advertisement built into Windows might be one reason it could succeed?

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/gord...ll-screen-ads-on-the-lock-screen-500946-2.png

Aug 11, 2008

Who says people dont have issues with Apple and Google? And the point is not whether DX 12 works outside of the windows store, but MS forcing the games to be distributed through it.

Feb 19, 2009
Who says people dont have issues with Apple and Google? And the point is not whether DX 12 works outside of the windows store, but MS forcing the games to be distributed through it.

They can only force games they develop.

How many games does MS make per year vs the rest of the industry?

It's a non-problem, if they make the game, they can decide where to sell it.

Gamers can vote with their wallets.

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
They can only force games they develop.

How many games does MS make per year vs the rest of the industry?

It's a non-problem, if they make the game, they can decide where to sell it.

Gamers can vote with their wallets.

Valve, ubisoft, EA all try and force the use of their own distribution model. You are attacking Microsoft for the same thing everyone else does.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Valve, ubisoft, EA all try and force the use of their own distribution model. You are attacking Microsoft for the same thing everyone else does.

The difference is that they don't all own the distribution medium (operating system) though Valve is heading in that direction with SteamOS.

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
The difference is that they don't all own the distribution medium (operating system) though Valve is heading in that direction with SteamOS.

I'm not trying to defend Microsoft, but attacking them for being like everyone else seems a little hypocritical

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
I'm not trying to defend Microsoft, but attacking them for being like everyone else seems a little hypocritical

But they are not like everyone else. Is the EA store running on the EA OS? Who controls the Microsoft store code if not MS? Why do other stores have to pay MS royalties to use their UWP?

Only Steam can be considered close to MS with their SteamOS.

Aug 11, 2008

Yes, but those companies also dont control the Windows operating system like MS, with the potential to cripple windows and make one go to the app store to get an alternative. I just cant understand how anyone cannot be concerned about this. One of the best features of Windows has been that it "just works". You didnt have to download an app for this, and an app for that. That seems to be changing.

Already trying to control distribution of games. Media center has been removed. And guess what, when I wanted to make an audio recording, where the f is the sound recorder. Oh wait, I have to go to the windows store and load a poorer alternative. At least they did not have the nerve to charge for it....yet.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
I would say in soviet russia... but this isn't it, just a case of tacking on DX12 on 2006 UE4 codebase. Weird things can happen like all the funky stuff here.

Well, it runs fine on the xb1. So I don't think there are any fundamental flaws.

Are there any issues other than stuttering and the HBAO+ problem?

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yes, people cheer so much for DX12, that they don't realize we will probably see more totally broken games than in DX11 and we already had enough broken games in DX11. Also developers can make way more faults in DX12 than in DX11.

They can still do DX11 if they can't handle DX12. DX11 has been updated to 11.3.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
They can still do DX11 if they can't handle DX12. DX11 has been updated to 11.3.

Which will lead to a Shitstorm by AMD fans, that their game is sponsored by Nvidia and a call for boycott of the game. So not a good possibility.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Which will lead to a Shitstorm by AMD fans, that their game is sponsored by Nvidia and a call for boycott of the game. So not a good possibility.

Who said anything about nVidia? I'm just responding to the concern that the low capabilities of some devs will make bad games.

Why would a company selling the latest tech DX12 cards sponsor DX11 games. At least in the future?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yes, but those companies also dont control the Windows operating system like MS, with the potential to cripple windows and make one go to the app store to get an alternative. I just cant understand how anyone cannot be concerned about this. One of the best features of Windows has been that it "just works". You didnt have to download an app for this, and an app for that. That seems to be changing.

Already trying to control distribution of games. Media center has been removed. And guess what, when I wanted to make an audio recording, where the f is the sound recorder. Oh wait, I have to go to the windows store and load a poorer alternative. At least they did not have the nerve to charge for it....yet.
Wut?
The best feature of Windows has always been that you can use a web browser to download a free and way-better alternative to whatever software windows came with.
This has not changed.
Ms is trying to make more money by distributing their own software on their own platform?How dare they!
But don't worry, I'm sure a european court is going to force them to also include steam in the next update of windows.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
Ms is trying to make more money by distributing their own software on their own platform?How dare they!

If only Sweeney's point was not about MS running their own store and instead about MS changing the means by which every third party in the Windows ecosystem can participate in the market.

If only.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Wow - a whole article without one proof.

The Coalition has fixed the AO problem. Performance is still bad on AMD hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.