Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
03134723392l.jpg

03134752826l.jpg

Lacking async? Gameworks? Or whatever the excuse is :p

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
4GB are not enough in 4K.

I think it will be much harder to optimize memory with DX12/Vulkan. :\

Feb 19, 2009
Some sites mentioned the older GCN SKUs are twice as fast as Fury.

Fiji is broken for the game, HBAO+ wrecks it and performance is crap, devs fully aware, already posted on their forums.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Doesn't look like it can be memory actually. Well, maybe that is coming at 4k/high settings.

Except for that though, it doesn't even push over 3GB of VRAM usage reported on either card.

Just something very broken somewhere.

Better idea if/when we see some of the smaller cards tested too. If it gets the Tonga things too, then I guess its running into something they changed in that revision.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
Some sites mentioned the older GCN SKUs are twice as fast as Fury.

Fiji is broken for the game, HBAO+ wrecks it and performance is crap, devs fully aware, already posted on their forums.

It's strange just been googling it and the 290/390s give up to twice the performance of the Furys, what gives?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
MS PC gaming is a joke. They keep trying to find ways to avoid Steam's 30% fee and each delivery platform is as bad as the last. Tomb Raider on the Windows Store is horrible compared to Steam in features and support. Then they cannot even optimize their games properly like Gears. Why do they bother when their only true relevance is Direct X.

Thank god for their incompetence/disinterest. Imagine how horrible it would be if they succeeded. We'd all be playing cell phone games on the windows store with all new games requiring Windows 10 just so Microsoft could increase their mobile marketshare from 1.2% to 1.4%. Microsoft doesn't give a shit about PC Gaming, never have, never will. They'll strip mine it and leave it a blasted out husk if they think it will improve any of their other product line sales even marginally.

Snafuh

Mar 16, 2015
Lacking async? Gameworks? Or whatever the excuse is :p

They write AO is broken on AMD, yet they test with it. AMD cards lose a lot performance going from medium (no AO) to high (with AO).
I'd like to see benchmarks without AO and different settings/resolution.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Can you give me a summary of what's in the Forbes article? I don't visit that site anymore because they block users with ad blockers.

There is no way in hell I'm turning off my ad blocker for Forbes, because their ad network has distributed malware in the past.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Yeah, 4K performance is even without AO horrible on the Fury. It's just broken on the Fury. AMD/devs have to release a fix as soon as possible.

Yeah, the R9 390x actually matches the GTX 980 Ti at 4K High. Showing you what is possible once the devs release their patch for Fiji.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yeah, 4K performance is even without AO horrible on the Fury. It's just broken on the Fury. AMD/devs have to release a fix as soon as possible.

Its rather the developer than AMD. The issue with Fury is that its based on GCN 1.2. Remember Tonga and BF4/Thief with Mantle?

That's the kicker with low level APIs like this. Its really going to be fun with new uarchs and "older" games.

This game is only optimized for GCN 1.1 and possible somewhat GCN 1.0. GCN 1.2, Kepler, Maxwell, all in the trash. 8GB 390/390X owners really seem to be long term console port winners.

Yeah, the R9 390x actually matches the GTX 980 Ti at 4K High. Showing you what is possible once the devs release their patch for Fiji.

Yes, and imagine the patch for GTX980TI how far ahead it will pull.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
You can force HBAO+ through nVidia's driver. Has nothing to do with Gear of Wars.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
Its rather the developer than AMD. The issue with Fury is that its based on GCN 1.2. Remember Tonga and BF4/Thief with Mantle?

That's the kicker with low level APIs like this. Its really going to be fun with new uarchs and "older" games.

Yes, people cheer so much for DX12, that they don't realize we will probably see more totally broken games than in DX11 and we already had enough broken games in DX11. Also developers can make way more faults in DX12 than in DX11.

hrga225

Jan 15, 2016
Yes, people cheer so much for DX12, that they don't realize we will probably see more totally broken games than in DX11 and we already had enough broken games in DX11. Also developers can make way more faults in DX12 than in DX11.
I say that is actually good.Good developers/publishers will thrive,bad ones will parish.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
8GB 390/390X owners really seem to be long term console port winners.

Amen. It might be time for me to eat the cost to flip my 970 on EBay before it loses value. Every new game makes Hawaii looks like the all-time greatest GPU. Hell even a 290 (a $60 cheaper GPU when I bought) looks like a better bet.

AMD value increases over time are incredible. Tahiti is finally running out of steam without ACEs but for the same reason Tonga is just getting started. 4GB Tonga is gonna beat the OG Titan before it's all said and done.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Amen. It might be time for me to eat the cost to flip my 970 on EBay before it loses value. Every new game makes Hawaii looks like the all-time greatest GPU. Hell even a 290 (a $60 cheaper GPU when I bought) looks like a better bet.

AMD value increases over time are incredible. Tahiti is finally running out of steam without ACEs but for the same reason Tonga is just getting started. 4GB Tonga is gonna beat the OG Titan before it's all said and done.
I would flip it only because you can make a profit moving to the 290/390 before pascal and Polaris

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
AMD and or devs will fix this soon for GCN 1.2. It shouldn't be a surprise any new PC game runs like crap (for reasons already state) but to think a 390/X will continue to outperform a Fury/X once a fix comes is wishful thinking.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012

that is why when someone wants long term I always tell them to buy amd :cool: has been right since 7970. buying nv seems to last about 1.5 years max, and then the regret sets in :)

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014

If you can make a profit off of it, do it for sure, otherwise hold on for Polaris. It's not that long and there's not much that's going to hurt that 970 for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.