Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoPixel

Oct 6, 2013
Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers [Forbes]

Update 3/1/2016 8:55 am PDT: Though I cannot personally confirm this I’m beginning to hear reports that Nvidia’s 980 Ti is also exhibiting stuttering and hitching issues.

The new Gears of War Ultimate Edition is a DX12 disaster [ExtremeTech]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Updates [01/03/2016]:

NVIDIA : GeForce Game Ready 362.00 WHQL driver for Far Cry Primal and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released
AMD : ???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benchmarks/Reviews:

1080p
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/..._war_ultimate_edition_pc_performance_review/8 [overclock3d]
1440p
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/..._war_ultimate_edition_pc_performance_review/9 [overclock3d]
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...war_ultimate_edition_pc_performance_review/10 [overclock3d]

GameGPU
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-test-gpu.html

Please remember the the requirement for listing of sources in titles. FTFY -Shmee

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
No point in buying a PC game until performance reviews of the game are positive. Most developers are actually shipping a beta game and the launch day game buyer is a beta tester. :D

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am pretty excited about this game. Looks like it is just a disaster for Fiji:

The Radeon 390x is just fine, achieving double the framerate at High Quality/4K as the more expensive Fury and Nano cards.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
unreal engine 3 + directx 12. PLUS attempted use of async. Maybe not working out so well

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Forbes? Yea no thanks.
Anyway, drivers drivers drivers, such a dynamic construction, lets see how the story 'develops' (get it? get the pun? get it?)

Good_fella

Feb 12, 2015
AMD's invented DX12 included.
Async included.
AMD is in all consoles so all ports are optimized for AMD day 1.

:D

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
AMD's invented DX12 included.
Async included.
AMD is in all consoles so all ports are optimized for AMD day 1.

:D

Update 3/1/2016 8:55 am PDT: Though I cannot personally confirm this I’m beginning to hear reports that Nvidia’s 980 Ti is also exhibiting stuttering and hitching issues.

is this the same dx12 that nvidia and ms started working on 57 years ago?

who started this fud campain?
funny how its stated "again a disaster for amd" while all games benched this year amds cards perfomed better than their counterparts

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
"Though I cannot personally confirm this I’m beginning to hear reports that Nvidia’s 980 Ti is also exhibiting stuttering and hitching issues. "

Sounds like the game is simply broken

Spanners

Mar 16, 2014
"...Nvidia GTX 980, is similarly brought to its knees"

Odd title for the article considering, with updates, it implies the only cards that are "fine" are the R9 390x and the R7 370. I think more information is needed.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Lol, another broken game with integrated CrapWorks (HBAO+). Great job nVidia.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Broken on both AMD and NVidia for certain graphics cards, but for some reason AMD is the only one in the title...

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Something to think about...

We already have few DX12 titles based on UE4 (Caffeine, Descent, Fable etc.) and there are no issues with them.

Only difference in this case is a CrapWorks integration... well, this starts to be gold

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Questionable "article"? Check.
Questionable topic title for the thread? Check.
Still questionable topic title for the thread after the 'update'? Check.
Game is broken on many cards, not just AMD? Check.

Don't buy this crap? Check.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
""Microsoft sent Forbes a response to their inquiry about the issues and are aware that it's happening. So is AMD "We are working closely with AMD to address a few issues that users of some AMD Radeon Hardware are experiencing while playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10 and expect that they will be addressed quickly in an upcoming update.""

Is this going to be another disaster Windows 10 "app" like the new Tomb Raider where you can't even make the game proper full screen and use xfire/sli?

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
Contents of this article aside, I feel like this guy has absolutely no background in tech/PCs and just thought he could earn his living as a tester. He ran it on a single test bench with a single GPU, not even the slightest try to double check his findings and immediately went on with a rage article.

And his writeup of his test bench is hilarious. Yes, one can screw motherboard standoffs into other standoffs. No, the (almost) slowest Skylake quadcore one can buy isn't really representative of what gamers use. Especially not with a 600$ graphics card.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Someone report the title and change to "Gears of War Ultimate Edition is the Ultimate PC disaster"

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Hell what a joke, and the problem is this game has Microsoft behind it with Billions to spare. I would even understand if the developer was a nobody without money but MS?? really ??? And GW again with a shitty release, sorry but something seams not working with the GW initiative.

And the Devition seams to be a GW with HBAO+ and PCSS, i bet we will see the same once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-H9vsyyU6M

We have some Game developers here, just a question. How the f....ck would you release a game in such a poor state ??? Im a PC gamer since 1995, the last 2-3 years we have seen AAA titles released that were clearly in BETA, hell some of them were even worse. Why do developers release games in such a state the last 2-3 years ??

But more importantly, why Gamers buy them when they know they are not working as they should ??

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Because the alternative is to get a console.

I remember a thread about info spilling that Sony and MS on purpose sabotaged PC releases. That one comes to mind again.

Patching is usually also reduced significantly, due to the different cycle methods for Xbox One and PS4.

Far Cry Primal is another bugfest with console focus.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/371660/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/371660/discussions/

So forget all your Gameworks conspiracies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.