Forbes: Dirties Cities in America - Why is Cali so bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
A lot of people and mountains that trap it in. The pacific coast range and cascades is like trap where pollution sits. I've gotten off a plane before in Ontario to visit my parents in Costa Mesa and could not even see the billboards on the HWY. Crazy. Beach cities are pretty good though as all the pollutants blow into the valleys.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
A lot of people and mountains that trap it in. The pacific coast range and cascades is like trap where pollution sits. I've gotten off a plane before in Ontario to visit my parents in Costa Mesa and could not even see the billboards on the HWY. Crazy. Beach cities are pretty good though as all the pollutants blow into the valleys.

Yea, all the pollution from the LA and Orange county valleys drift up into Ontario, Riverside, San Bernadino. No way would I live out there when I was working in Anaheim.

As most people have been saying the coastal air thats moist combines with the ozone and hydrocarbons and creates SMOG that gets trapped. If there were no polution controls on the cars it would be unliveable.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm a smog skeptic. Not every scientist in the world agrees smog is man-made - hundreds of millions of dollars from companies alleged to create smog have helped to identify a few brave people who will question the issue - and so I'm just going so say 'it's not for sure'. Once people thought the world was flat, so maybe they're wrong about smog being man-made too. We shouldn't spent a lot of money we can't afford fighting it and crippling our job creators since we're not 100% sure.

I know what will help with smog, which I admit does exist: tax cuts for the rich.

=la-smog.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm a smog skeptic. Not every scientist in the world agrees smog is man-made - hundreds of millions of dollars from companies alleged to create smog have helped to identify a few brave people who will question the issue - and so I'm just going so say 'it's not for sure'. Once people thought the world was flat, so maybe they're wrong about smog being man-made too. We shouldn't spent a lot of money we can't afford fighting it and crippling our job creators since we're not 100% sure.

Yes, because wildlife and trees produce incredible amounts of smog

(not sure if srs, WTF else is going to cause smog besides man?)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I know what will help with smog, which I admit does exist: tax cuts for the rich.

=la-smog.jpg

Not to be trite, but there's a river in Egypt and it's called DeNile!!!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Also, the cargo vessels going in and out of Long Beach. No polution controls on those bunker oil burners.

That's a pretty good point. I remember reading those things cause more pollution than the entire US auto fleet because they have no emission controls at all.