For you watercooling overclockers

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
What happens if those tiny wires in your water pump find their way to the water? Will that kill your motherboard+cpu instantly?

anvil

Mar 12, 2001

Gee, I don't know!

Come to think of it, what would happen if one of those tiny wires in your fan motor cable found its way to some component that it might be touching inside the computer?

Now I'm REALLY worried!

Actually, there is no direct electrical connection between the computer and the cooler. Of course, there could be an electrical discharge of some sort in some systems. And I don't know what the electrical protection in the pump is.

anvil

1gemini1

Nov 24, 2000
Why, did you fry any fish lately?
Sorry couldn't stop myself. hehehe
I ran my last setup w/a used small fountain pump ($20) for over a year.
My new pump is a $100 Cal pump and I expect to get a long life out of it
(This thing pumps like a mutha).

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Last time I checked my cpu core was covered in ceramic and there isn't any other path. I really think my APC would kick its breaker instantly if I got a "short" in my AC. I suppose if I were to really think about it it is possible for the voltage to jump to my shim from the copper waterblock and into the resistor or bridge and cook my processor, but its also "possible" that my power supply could short AC directly into my mobo if it failed the wrong way. Lots of terminal "possibilities", doesn't mean I worry more because I watercool. Stuff happens......:D

..........edit............
Just means I get "new" toys to play with.........:D