For those worried about Biden being a lame duck

Mar 15, 2003
"Finally, McConnell looked up at the Senate’s presiding officer, growing slightly emotional. “You’ve been a real friend, you’ve been a trusted partner, and it’s been an honor to serve with you,” McConnell told Joe Biden, then serving out his final weeks as vice president, on Dec. 7, 2016. “We’re all going to miss you.”"

Biden's the guy to bring us back together.... Proud.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
It's not Biden that has me worried, it's McConnell. His entire time as majority leader has been about obstruction, obstruction, obstruction with hardly any actual legislative achievements to his name besides that (outside bending his own rules for the Barrett nomination). Maybe, maybe he still has enough integrity to work across the aisle, but there's already reports he might try to block any of Biden's cabinet he thinks is too progressive, which is so out of the norm it isn't funny. If that happens, there's nothing the Dems can do.

Reactions: Pohemi and Ken g6

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Yeah, because McConnell cooperated so much with Obama during the last six years of his Administration (ie, when the GOP got control of the Senate). I expect nothing less than (subtly disguised) full scale opposition and go-slow) from the GOP Senate from day one of the Biden administration.

Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, because McConnell cooperated so much with Obama during the last six years of his Administration (ie, when the GOP got control of the Senate). I expect nothing less than (subtly disguised) full scale opposition and go-slow) from the GOP Senate from day one of the Biden administration.
I have zero trust in McConnell but Obamacare made it's way out during that time, I have faith in Joe

Feb 4, 2009

Biden’s a white guy
But yeah, the RNC do nothing machine began this week.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The gop barely gave any votes to Obama's stimulus plan during the great recession. I think none in the house and 3 in the Senate. Mitch is gonna block everything and call Joe Biden beholden to the radical left. The Republicans got 71 million votes from people that are on that train, they ain't gonna let them down now.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The gop barely gave any votes to Obama's stimulus plan during the great recession. I think none in the house and 3 in the Senate. Mitch is gonna block everything and call Joe Biden beholden to the radical left. The Republicans got 71 million votes from people that are on that train, they ain't gonna let them down now.

Well, yeh, except the Rona is going to jump up & grab us by the balls all across the heartland. It already has. We're entering the exponential portion of the transmission curve in all too many places, even here in Denver, I think. Fauci is right in saying we're in a very bad spot. Entirely too many Americans are detached from reality for the Country to learn any way but the hard way. Witness the fact that Trump nearly won. I thought they were nutty to vote for him once, but it's even worse 4 years later. Decades of right wing lies & disinformation have taken a terrible toll on their ability to think straight.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well, yeh, except the Rona is going to jump up & grab us by the balls all across the heartland. It already has. We're entering the exponential portion of the transmission curve in all too many places, even here in Denver, I think. Fauci is right in saying we're in a very bad spot. Entirely too many Americans are detached from reality for the Country to learn any way but the hard way. Witness the fact that Trump nearly won. I thought they were nutty to vote for him once, but it's even worse 4 years later. Decades of right wing lies & disinformation have taken a terrible toll on their ability to think straight.

If you think Americans dying in large numbers is going to unite the country and more specifically congress, well, I’ve got 71 million reasons why you are wrong.

Reactions: Pohemi
Dec 10, 2005
I have zero trust in McConnell but Obamacare made it's way out during that time, I have faith in Joe
Let's be honest with ourselves: the ACA made it out in spite of McConnell and his blockade, and that's because for a very short period of time, Democrats held a majority across the legislature. If McConnell had more power at the time, we wouldn't be talking about the ACA as a law.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

So what happens next?

GOP obstruct for 2 years, blame Biden and the Dems, Trump on the sidelines continues prodding on his supporters and we're looking at a red wave in 2022/2024 and back to where we started in 2016? Is that really where we're headed?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So what happens next?

GOP obstruct for 2 years, blame Biden and the Dems, Trump on the sidelines continues prodding on his supporters and we're looking at a red wave in 2022/2024 and back to where we started in 2016? Is that really where we're headed?

It's kept mitch and republicans in power so far. It may not be be a probability (> 50/50), but it's absolutely a possibility

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Hmm Margaret Hoover belief about Moscow Mitch, he's got to play ball for next 2 months if he wants the two runoff elections to get those seats. If he won't agree to a stimulus bill, the voters could revolt and give both seats to the Dems. So let's hope the orange loser screws this up for him.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
It's kept mitch and republicans in power so far. It may not be be a probability (> 50/50), but it's absolutely a possibility

And the voters somehow keep rewarding them for it, too.

A lot can happen in 4 years, but it definitely feels like a pyrrhic victory right now. Mitch has zero incentive to play ball.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

ACA went through in Obama's first two years, when the Dems controlled the Senate and the House. McConnell never would have allowed it to come to a vote.

The GOP game plan-all act together all the time and obey their leader-has worked extremely well for them for over twenty years now. The voters rewarded them this time around for their horrendous behaviour. Why would they change now? Four years of stalemate and the chances of the GOP grabbing the White House back are high.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I hope so, but I am not optimistic. I think necrotic hands McConnell croaking and having Democrat gov of KY pick his replacement is probably more likely improvement in governance than him not being a jerk.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
With any luck, that skin condition is gangrene. Otherwise, no, he won't let anything pass through the Senate.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I have yet to hear the Republicans show some kind of plan for post-Trump which doesn't almost exclusively revolve around a return to austerity which nobody wants. It remains to be seen if they can simply turn the clock back to 2012-2016 and have it work. They assume it will and of course are going to act accordingly but it's entirely unclear what the electorate is going to think of that.

Trump's own pull with the party post presidency is also purely speculative at this point. He many have a lot, some, or virtually none. We don't know and neither do the GOP. We'll start getting a look at things in the GA runoff. He could well decide to blame the party for his loss.

Reactions: gothuevos