For those with Radeon cards, TV out and DVD drives

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
How is the quality on your TV if you play a DVD on your computer, and use video out to play on your TV?

is it comparable to a console DVD player? or much inferior? like say 50% of it quality wise?

Thanks.

cheers
PB

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
My TV-out quality is very good. I don't have a set top player to compare.

BigNeko

Jun 16, 2001
rbV5,
Have you done any importing/editing from a camcorder/digital camera with the ATI? Building a new system and willing to sacrifice some 3D performance to edit digital pics/movies.
Any help appreciated.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I haven't used a camcorder so to speak, but I have captured/edited video from my VHS tapes through the composite-in from my VCR and a fair amount of capture/editing from the tuner. You understand it is not a digital video solution for capture, it's an analog capture device. I've been very happy with the capture/editing(I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 for editing primarily), and as soon as I get my S-VHS recorder(to make use of the higher quality s-video input) I'll convert my VHS to SVCD's(hopefully Nero's internal mpeg-2 compressor will be ready by then).
ATI's new DV Wonder loks interesting for digital video, but I don't know much about it yet other than it offers firewire ports.
I use my rig for gaming as well, haven't felt I gave up any 3D performance yet.

alluu

Jan 11, 2001
TVO on my Radeon LE is very good. Way better than the voodoo3 I had and looks better than my friend's geforce. But it just isn't as sharp as my stand-alone player (sony). The colors are not as vibrant. For example, using TVO subtitles just aren't readable enough.