For those who shop at newegg, you gotta read this

swimmersteve

Jul 26, 2000
i found this information from ipkonfig.com and was shock to see that newegg had issue about product authenticity.

You gotta admit that when a manufacturer tells its customers to avoid purchasing its products at certain online retailers, it's a very serious matter. While out surfing around I came across SilenX's website and noticed a counterfeit product warning, with a link to a list of sites to avoid when purchasing one of its products.
Axion Technologies - www.axiontech.com
ColorCase - www.colorcase.com
ComputerHQ - www.computerhq.com - sells both counterfeit and genuine
EastLuna - www.eastluna.com
Jacoltech - www.jacoltech.com
NCIX - www.ncix.com
NewEgg - www.newegg.com
New Type Computer Workshop - www.ntcw.com
SharkaCorp - www.sharka.com
What surprised me is that we used to advertise one of those sites--a mistake that won't happen again!
Serious matter for companies to engage in such activities, and it leaves open the question of what other counterfeits they might be selling . . .

what do you guys think?

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
newegg carries a lot of products from a lot of sources. As long as their name brand items (big names such as amd, intel, etc) are kosher than I'm okay with it.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
newegg doesnt even have anything by silenx in their inventory (not that i can see anyway)...i'm guessing they found out about this and stopped selling? i think they're a pretty stand-up company.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
looks like a swiftech ripoff..."MCX-462" there is an original name...

Heifetz

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
hmmm, right. Don't buy from any of these etailers that sell our items, just buy everything from our store, where everything is marked up 10%!

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
So I'm supposed to stop trusting Newegg, a company that has been a pleasure to deal with in the past and that I look forward to dealing with in the future when the time comes to upgrade my system....

all because a company that i've never heard of, that sells remarked swiftech products, says newegg doesn't sell their 'authentic' products?

Uhm... sure, I'll get right on it.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I deal a lot with ncix.com (on silenx's list) as they're in my city (Vancouver) and the guys in there are good. It's a reputable store.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I just purchased $2000 worth of stuff from Newegg.

Arrived two days later (and I only asked for normal shipping), and everything was in perfect shape.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
You're saying that the DVD drive I RMA'ed back to Toshiba a couple of months ago may not be made by Toshiba?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll bet we buy more counterfeit and "knock off" items than we're aware of. I'm sure some of it is pretty hard to tell the difference between the two - unless you had both side-by-side for an accurate comparison.

I'd only expect issues like this to get worse in the coming years. Technology will permit the counterfeiters to get better at copying products and then selling thousands of "fakes." :(

NightCrawler

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Newegg is selling Raptor hard drives that don't have USA warranties, they are intended for the Asian market. They just don't mention it when they sell it to you.

So much for that 5 year warranty!

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
Newegg is selling Raptor hard drives that don't have USA warranties, they are intended for the Asian market. They just don't mention it when they sell it to you.

So much for that 5 year warranty!

that may or may not be neweggs knowledge.

their wholesalers may be supplying them with asian market hard drives, and not letting newegg know.

MIKE

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
SilenX isn't bitching about counterfeit products being sold under their name. They're bitching about products being sold under the "Ahanix" name. That's not an issue AT ALL, because the items are marked under their real manufacturer. If that manufacturer wants to rip somthing off, that's their issue, not the retailer's.

Newegg's Ahanix lineup consists of: Ugly mATX cases. Crappy PSUs. A HTPC remote. The only item that anyone in the right mind would ever consider buying is that remote, and other products exist from more reputable names.

Edit: Nevermind, nobody in the right mind would buy the remote either. It features engrish ON THE BOX.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
it is my understanding fom the silentpcreview forums that originally the silenX brand was sold by exoticpc.com

then one of the employees left and formed silenx.com now both sites sell silenx branded power supplys. I think they are fortron PS that are modded. the silenx.com guy did some negative posting about exoticpc.com on the forums at silentpcreview . out of the 2 I feel that the exoticpc.com people have behaved more professionally.

simply put I don't trust silenx.com