For those who play UT2004/Q3/America's Army AND

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Is it just me.... or is CS a totally wacky game compared to the others I mentioned? I rule at AA/Q3/UT2004 and other FPSes... but CS is awfully hard to get used to.

Any people that play both frequently (I'm a newbie to CS) have any tips between the games, and how I can alter my playstyle to do better? I'm always in the top 3-5 in CS... but I'm used to being #1 :)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah, I can totally attest to what you're talking about. I used to RULE in UT2k3 on most servers, and then playing CS felt like having my wings clipped... but now I definitely like CS better. The guns take some getting used to, not 100% accurate like UT2k3, but if you stick with the automatic rifles you'll do well. KP Submachinegun isn't bad either. My favorite has to be the Carbine for the CTs tho. :)

Oh, BTW, strafing isn't too useful in CS :p

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
I think there are a lot more tactics in CS. You can shoot through boxes so you'll have to be able to predict where the player will be in x seconds. Prefire > you.

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
just gotta get used to the recoil. also learn to tap the opposite direction to stop instead of just letting go, so your shots become more accurate. in cs basically the gayer your tactics are, the better you are, so feel free to camp, bait, hide, awp, etc.

also dont be afraid to rush. grow some balls and go first in line.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I've gotta get in on the CS:S action, how long has it been out?

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
ok, all i have to say is, I dont understand the hype over source. Its Counter Strike, plain and simple. You can add all the bells and whistles you want, but it will always be counter strike, and to me, an inferior game to others like UT and AA

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: FleshLight
I think there are a lot more tactics in CS. You can shoot through boxes so you'll have to be able to predict where the player will be in x seconds. Prefire > you.

yeah just treat the game like there are no walls. you'll find that you can kill people through corners and thick walls and stuff.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: digitalsnare
ok, all i have to say is, I dont understand the hype over source. Its Counter Strike, plain and simple. You can add all the bells and whistles you want, but it will always be counter strike, and to me, an inferior game to others like UT and AA

Counterstrike was always a great game. The only reason I stopped playing it is because the graphics were dated. At the time I stopped playing, it was still my favorite game. I'm just shallow.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spunkz
just gotta get used to the recoil. also learn to tap the opposite direction to stop instead of just letting go, so your shots become more accurate. in cs basically the gayer your tactics are, the better you are, so feel free to camp, bait, hide, awp, etc.

also dont be afraid to rush. grow some balls and go first in line.

Lol x 2

:beer::beer:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I love to do a "super-rush" every once in a while. Like say your team is just getting assraped... buy a rifle, ammo, armor, and a nade really quickly, hope for a good spawn spot, and then run knife out until you get to where the opposite guys are. You can usually take 3 of them out while they still all have their grenades pulled. muahahahaha. Of course it usually means a quick death too, but at least you got 3 for your 1. :)

On occasion though you might get lucky, and rush right past them. You can then pick the other team off from behind and they'll have no idea where they're getting shot from :)

Thing is, you can play CS 2 different ways. Either for fun where you rush and run and blast away, or for stats/winning, where you check all the corners, walk around, be cautious etc.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
I think it's the shooting that takes the longest to get accustomed to. For close quarters you just aim for the head and spray, but for longer distances you have to fire in bursts and sometimes crouch to increase accuracy. Oddly the awp and scout are the only two that don't seem affected by recoil.

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
In AA you can shoot thru doors and some walls too.. but it's a lot more intelligent. The sniping is a lot harder because it makes you breathe in and out, and you the SOUND in that game is incredible. I'm sorry, but CS:Source is rather laughable compared to AA... and I played all the other shooters, AA is my favorite because it takes real skill to play. This night I played, I noticed I did awesome when I figured out the rush patterns and just camped a few spots. Then I go to dust and I am getting headshotted from pistols across the screen -- it's unbelieveable. I will continue to learn to play CS but it pales in comparison to AA for the squad based combat, which takes a combintion of quick fingers, good listening skills (the sound rawks!), common sense for covering objectives and a bit of tactics thrown into the mix.

AA reigns supreme of all the shooters out there right now. Quake3 and UT2004 are more fun if you want the twitch action FPS, and CS:Source/CS well.... it's rather unremarkable as it's nearly identical to the game with the crappy graphics. I am glad that HL2 itself seems it will rule, because CS:Source isn't worth the extra dough. I hear things about DOD... maybe that will be a bit better and not as lame with the pistol headshots from across the screen.

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: CptObvious
I think it's the shooting that takes the longest to get accustomed to. For close quarters you just aim for the head and spray, but for longer distances you have to fire in bursts and sometimes crouch to increase accuracy. Oddly the awp and scout are the only two that don't seem affected by recoil.

Yea... already learned this. If you can headshot with a pistol from a screen away the game already sucks. It's supposed to be you know.. semi-realistic. It's why I like AA a lot more.