For those who know a little more than me… thoughts on these numbers?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
My last A1C was 2 years ago and it was 4.7. However, since then I have been gaining some weight. Working on losing it.

A few weeks ago I was at the doctors (wasn’t feeling well) and she checked my blood sugar. It was 151. This was 2 - 3 hours or so after eating a big breakfast burrito but I was also stressed out, fast heart rate, etc. She ordered a blood test which I got a few hours later and it was 111. She did not check my a1c at that time since I have an upcoming physical.

I am at a friends house who has a glucose monitor today and after telling him my story we checked it. The last time I had anything to eat was 2 hours prior. It was 96. Granted I worked out this morning and went for a long run.

I then drank half a glass of lemonade and had half a bagel with cream cheese and he offered to take it 30 minutes later - the first reading was 122 and the second right after was 129. After one hour, it was 135.

He said we could take it again 2 hours from now but I’ll be gone by then.

I know random blood sugar tests aren’t science and there’s a lot that goes into diabetes in general. My mom got it in her 30s and I am 39 so I’m trying to stave it off as long as I can.

My next physical isn’t until June and I’ll get my a1c checked then. But curious on what people think of these numbers. Should I buy a meter and keep randomly testing to see if I get anymore 151 readings?

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Eating insulin spiking foods frequently is going to keep you in "growth mode".
Meaning fat doesn't get burned first. Cells are constantly growing instead of having time to do some "purging".

So, you have to cut down the grains and sugary drinks, or at least the frequency of eating them.

Starch is rapidly broken down into glucose.
Sugar is 50/50 glucose and fructose. Too much fructose at once means the liver will likely convert it to fat in the liver, resulting in fatty liver.

Reactions: IGBT

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'd think a fasting blood sugar test would be in order (which I guess you would probably be doing in June)
I'm not sure if there's value in just randomly testing yourself prior to the physical, maybe instead you could look at your diet and increase your physical activity level.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Yeah, a fasting blood sugar test is needed.
Here are some results I had in 2015 when I did a test.
Fasted glucose meter result: 87mg/dl
For breakfast, I ate a big fruit smoothie of various fruits, water, and added some coconut sugar. And a white plane bagel. About 1171 calories in that meal.
I ate about half of the smoothie and checked my glucose.
It was 107 mg/dl
It took about an hour or so to finish the meal, and I checked my glucose 30 minutes after I had eaten.
It was 99mg/dl
I checked my glucose just before lunch, about 2 hours after my last test.
It was 91 mg/dl

So what that showed me was that I had an excellent insulin response with it going up due to eating, but then fairly rapidly coming back down, yet not overshooting on the way back down. I did that initially because I was four months into changing my diet to a plant-based one, mostly with fruit that generally is considered more likely to increase insulin response.
I haven't checked since then. I may later this summer as I work to get more in shape. I put on too much weight during the pandemic and haven't had the drive to fix that.