For those unemployed or employed and thinking about going back to school

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Are you going to seek an advance degree?
I just graduated with a BS in MIS, and i have already been accepted into Drexel.
I currently work FT, so classes would be at night (no prob I've attended the past two years in the evening).

Is it worth getting the advance degree?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Honestly? Unless you are in education or Business (MBA), I think all you do is actually LOWER the amount of jobs you have available to you if you get a higher degree.

But I'm a bit opinionated on this, so take my comments with a grain of salt :)

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
what degree are you looking to get? are you looking for a "more information" degree or a research related degree? I do NOT suggest trying to get a research-related degree going part-time. If its a "take 12 classes and you're done", then fine. Basically, are you looking at your degree as an additional qualification or are you truly interested in the subject matter? All of this makes a BIG difference. :)

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Honestly? Unless you are in education or Business (MBA), I think all you do is actually LOWER the amount of jobs you have available to you if you get a higher degree.

that's a relatively good point, if you're just looking at the number of jobs. The TYPE of jobs are different for MS/PhD people and BS people (at least in engineering)--so the job pools are almost completely exclusive. And of course, if you want to do research-related work, typically, the advanced degree is required.

But if your job is just a job to you... you're probably better off with just the BS.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: HokieESM
what degree are you looking to get? are you looking for a "more information" degree or a research related degree? I do NOT suggest trying to get a research-related degree going part-time. If its a "take 12 classes and you're done", then fine. Basically, are you looking at your degree as an additional qualification or are you truly interested in the subject matter? All of this makes a BIG difference. :)

Masters in Information Systems. My undergrad degree means nothing to me ... the classes were horrible,
and I didn't learn anything that helps me in my current position. Honestly, the BS degree is just a front but I can't
complain since it's a starting point.

Friends say I should get an MBA, but I would get pretty bored and discouraged with the classes because they
wouldn't be what I like to study. It would be like my undergraduate years all over again!

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
But if your job is just a job to you... you're probably better off with just the BS.

That's correct ... but I want to be the head hancho one day not the one running around doing crap.

Besides, it's all about networking. I figure if I go I will meet ppl who I can hook up with and move forward
with my career.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Masters in Information Systems. My undergrad degree means nothing to me ... the classes were horrible,
and I didn't learn anything that helps me in my current position. Honestly, the BS degree is just a front but I can't

Once again, speaking from *MY* experiences here...for every 1 IBM or MS that would actually raise an eyebrow to a higher education degree in MIS, there's 1000 smaller companies that could give a flying fart about it.

All they care about is if you have the experience to get the job done. All extra education means is that you'll cost more money than somebody without it.

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
if you really didn't like your undergrad studies, then grad school might not be for you (in the same major). Because, while it will get more specific/detailed, it is (at the core) the same stuff. You CAN try another department/major... a lot of people don't realize that your undergrad degree doesn't have to match your grad degree. Computer science might be possible.

I wouldn't go to grad school for lack of a better option. I'm in my fourth year of grad school and I frequently question the decision--and I REALLY want to be here (in the overall sense)--the extremely low pay (if you're going to school on assistantship) and being treated like a peon can get really old (especially when you're already "accomplished" compared to most of the population outside the university). Grad school really isn't for everyone... its definitely not a "well i couldn't find anything betteR" kind of thing to do.

A MBA is very practical (in terms of qualifications)--particularly if you want to get into management. You can seldom get it "paid for", though... you'll be paying the tuition bill. But if you're looking to climb the corporate ladder, an MBA is never a bad thing.

Best of luck to you!

HokieESM

Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by: lilcam

That's correct ... but I want to be the head hancho one day not the one running around doing crap.

Besides, it's all about networking. I figure if I go I will meet ppl who I can hook up with and move forward
with my career.

Well, if you want to "network", then I'd DEFINITELY get an MBA. Most MS/PhD students are there because they love the technical aspect of the job. A lot of them wouldn't want a management job if you gave it to them--the love the job and the work of their particular industry. Most of my friends in grad school here WANT to do the tech work.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I would go into business for myself this way you have a leg up/experiance when things pick up again. But then I believe you make all your money in a bear market with anything, you just don't know it till later.

maybe If I was liquid (no fam/kids/responsiblities etc) I would join the military right now. Airforce. The training, disapline and benefits they offer are unmatched by any downsizing company today.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Not everyday where you find an employer who would hire you based on your experience. Most of the jobs
I've seen wanted a degree. Now, this was sometime last year before I even obtained my BS. Now no one
seems to be hiring so I'm back to square one!

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
lilcam I'd say if you worked on a pretty major project and didn't just serve the coffee they will hire you over any one with a BS degree.

You have a proven track that you can program or do whatever on a commerical product that is out on the market today. A company will hire you on that alone. But the project has to be somewhat big and known. A few of them and you are pretty gold to anyone. But in saying that you'd have to be pretty special to get somewhere to do that without a degree of some sort though...........

human2k

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Look around the country, you'll find a job sooner or later. I have relatives who moved to Madison, Winsconsin, they all have great jobs with BA/BS and even AA/AS degrees.:)

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I'm going to do the MBA program in September! Now all I have to do is get my ethics essay done so I can submit my application.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Well, I think that is dependant upon your major. Any computer major and you are wasting your time.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: lilcam
Originally posted by: HokieESM

Friends say I should get an MBA, but I would get pretty bored and discouraged with the classes because they
wouldn't be what I like to study. It would be like my undergraduate years all over again!

not to be a dick but... a masters in information systems won't really help you move into management whereas more experience or an MBA would help a lot more

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
not to be a dick but... a masters in information systems won't really help you move into management whereas more experience or an MBA would help a lot more

I was starting to think that way also. An MBA would definately help, but I doubt I would make it through 3 hours
a night of Statistics and Financial Management. :evil:

I dont have any responsibilities or families to worry about and I did think about joining the Air Force.