Info For those that want "more cores" EPYC 7601 appears to be coming into being affordable.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So I got 2 7601 EPYC core CPU's retail version for $850 each, and there was a single at that price. Now today, 2 more have shown up at $800 each. I think the Rome CPU's are replacing these old ones, and the old ones are becoming affordable.

Motherboard $638 (what I paid for a dual socket SP3 supermicro NEW motherboard) https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...0-series/p/1B4-005W-001E0?Item=1B4-005W-001E0
2 7601 retail EPYC CPUs $1600 (64 cores 128 threads) https://www.ebay.com/itm/283671015054?ul_noapp=true
256 gig DDR4 2666 ECC registered $1088 or less! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTTMSZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$3326 total for 64 cores/128 threads of real server cores and lots of ECC memory ! Not cheap, but I think a steal for what you are getting.!!

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Once you get it all setup I'm curious to know what that rig can get all out on WCG. I expect a write up when it's been running WCG for a week without interruption, Sir.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Once you get it all setup I'm curious to know what that rig can get all out on WCG. I expect a write up when it's been running WCG for a week without interruption, Sir.
Oh, you will get lots... But not sure how to see the total outcome of WCG. Maybe device statistics ? Regardless, when I get it up, I will post everything I can.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Correct, once you get it running for a few days (week is good) so MCM wingman validation kind of levels off just go here.

Then click on the device and it'll give you a daily report of what that system has done.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Retail prices of Epyc 7001 (Naples) have been reduced a lot in the end of August, some SKUs further in September, here in Europe at least. I read that this was done to help OEMs and retailers to clear stock of revision-1 mainboards. (Of course retail prices are still much higher than the auction prices which you found.)

Epyc 7001 cannot be simply swapped out by Epyc 7002 (Rome) in the same machine though. It'd almost always require a mainboard swap too.

I don't know if there have been notable amounts of SNB-EP -> IVB-EP or HSW-EP -> BDW-EP server upgrades in the past which supplied the 2nd hand market with SNB-EP and HSW-EP CPUs. (Maybe there were, as HSW-EP seems to be available plentifully. I am not a keen and long-term watcher of the 2nd hand market.) Anyway, there won't be a big wave of Naples -> Rome upgrades. 2nd hand Naples will mostly originate from future decommissioning of entire servers, I presume.

It might be easily possible to refurbish Naples-only rev-1 mainboards into rev-2 mainboards for Naples & Rome, with just a little SMD-soldering of the BIOS EEPROM. Or maybe they could be flashed to Rome-only boards with a customized BIOS. But it probably won't be done for any appreciable amount of boards.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I'd be curious to learn what Folding@home can do with a 128-CPU folding slot, or if this doesn't receive work, two 64-CPU folding slots. :-)

Reactions: biodoc

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Retail prices of Epyc 7001 (Naples) have been reduced a lot in the end of August, some SKUs further in September, here in Europe at least. I read that this was done to help OEMs and retailers to clear stock of revision-1 mainboards. (Of course retail prices are still much higher than the auction prices which you found.)

Epyc 7001 cannot be simply swapped out by Epyc 7002 (Rome) in the same machine though. It'd almost always require a mainboard swap too.

I don't know if there have been notable amounts of SNB-EP -> IVB-EP or HSW-EP -> BDW-EP server upgrades in the past which supplied the 2nd hand market with SNB-EP and HSW-EP CPUs. (Maybe there were, as HSW-EP seems to be available plentifully. I am not a keen and long-term watcher of the 2nd hand market.) Anyway, there won't be a big wave of Naples -> Rome upgrades. 2nd hand Naples will mostly originate from future decommissioning of entire servers, I presume.

It might be easily possible to refurbish Naples-only rev-1 mainboards into rev-2 mainboards for Naples & Rome, with just a little SMD-soldering of the BIOS EEPROM. Or maybe they could be flashed to Rome-only boards with a customized BIOS. But it probably won't be done for any appreciable amount of boards.
my motherboard does naples and rome both, at least by the manual.

Edit: and the 7601 prices I quoted are not auction, they are "buy it now" prices, or retail.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
my motherboard does naples and rome both, at least by the manual.
Right, because it is a revision-2 mainboard. These became available to server OEMs and in retail only after Rome became available to server OEMs and in retail. Meaning, datacenters which purchased Naples servers before that, have revision-1 mainboards.
Edit: and the 7601 prices I quoted are not auction, they are "buy it now" prices, or retail.
But the offer was made on an auction platform, not in a retail shop, wasn't it? :-)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Right, because it is a revision-2 mainboard. These became available to server OEMs and in retail only after Rome became available to server OEMs and in retail. Meaning, datacenters which purchased Naples servers before that, have revision-1 mainboards.

But the offer was made on an auction platform, not in a retail shop, wasn't it? :-)
ebay has 3 modes. It has some auctions, and the "buy it now" mode (like retail) which newegg uses and other businesses, and then there is "make best offer" sometimes on buy it now items. I have used that sometimes.